Tennis Forum banner
61 - 80 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
But I still think Wozniacki will lose the number one ranking or I certainly hope so. I don't know how anyone can defend Caroline. Petra let the pressure of becoming number one get to her. But credit to Li Na she did expose Petra's movement she kept on pushing Petra wide good strategy and into the corners forcing her in awkward positions.

·
Registered
25,370 Posts
Kvitova definitely has a weakness and Li Na really exposed it is Petra's movement. I think Petra moves okay people are making it sound like she moves like Davenport. Petra moves better than Davenport but her movement she needs to keep on working on it. Although Petra does move well for a tall woman you've got to move her into the corners like the Australian commentators said. Li did the exact same thing in this match as the French Open. Li did not get upset after losing the first set easily. She held mentally firm and kept on fighting.
davenport had much better hands though, so even on the run could control the ball. petra just plays a swipe at the ball sometimes when running.

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
This was never in doubt for me.

·
Registered
24,357 Posts
Li fully deserved to win. Her bashing at the end had Petra completely listless and overpowered.

Can this woman play outdoors at all?

And conversely, can Li play indoors? Sheesh.

·
Registered
11,106 Posts
Good comeback by Li. Petra should only blame herself for not winning in straight sets when she was 6-1, 3-1 up. But I'm glad Petra didn't use her coach and tried to win the match on her own. Good preparation for Melbourne, hope Petra gets her revenge on Li very soon.

Congrats to Li.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Total implosion ...

She should have utilised on-court coaching, Petra.
About on-court coaching, it's actually not too much about coaching on the strategy or encouragement. They talked in dialect, and I happened to understand that accent :) I don't want to release what details in the conversation with the husband and coach - just say they two match quite well :eek:h::eek:h::eek:h:

The first on-court is about our NaNa throwing her anger onto the hubby.
Why she brought in the coach again after the second set, and being all quiet? Just want to show him: See, I made it :smooch:

·
Banned
11,141 Posts
Missed this. :sobbing: Except for some few points in the first set, where Petra was just amazing, one point including turning defense into offense. :eek:

However, I'm not surprised. She can't afford any lapses against her Pimps on such a surface, or she will eat crap. *waits for all the deluded to think she's got no surface weakness or she's GOAT everywhere*

Reactions: Nicolás89

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
OMG what a GOAT match between 2 Grand Slam CHAMPS :eek:

Na got her wig snatched by Petra in the 1st set and was down 1-3 in the 2nd set before becoming superNa :inlove:

some of the ballbashing rallies :armed:

NaNa snaps Petra's 18 match win streak (including Fed Cup and Hopman Cup) :nerner:

and NaNa saves her BFF Princess Karolina's SEWTA #1 ranking, at least for another 2 weeks :haha:

I hope Caro sends Na some $$$ to go shopping :hug:

Lol, Na'd better not doing any more shopping. Some of the stuffs she bought were just :tape:

Congrats Na, well deseved win in an interesting, but really up and down match.

Na started the match hitting like a crazy woman sent everything out. It didn't help Petra played unbelievable though, but it was clear that Na can withstand Petra' power, the matter is whether she be patient and not going for too much.

Petra's level dropped a bit in the last half of the second, then Na seized the oppotunity to prevail.

Good luck to both girls at the AO. Important win for Na as she has too many points to defend in Australia. I like Petra a lot, but I like Na to win the match today. It's good that Petra can go to the Slam w/o much pressure. Also, tt's a slap to the faces to some of Petra's arrogant, unbearable fans on TF (Stromatolie, mac56, Extremespeed) . Wondering where are they hiding now.

·
Registered
15,813 Posts
Does this look like the YEC? I am just stunned still how awful Petra was from 61 31 up, so many mistimed shots, poor footwork, made about three attempts to come to net in the entire time I watched, only a few slices (and most mediocre), it was like she had no idea what to do, she totally panicked. And against someone like Li that just isn't going to cut it. I don't care if this is a Sydney SF or not, it's a poor result and a poor way to lose a match.

I hope if she's in a similar situation at AO she'll be able to cut down the errors and work the points more, work her way to net, but I'm afraid it'll be another case of running into someone who can hit the ball hard right back at her and Kvitova will not have any idea what to do.
Again, she showed at the YEC that she IS able to work the points more and use her weight of shot to gradually wrestle the initiative when she cares enough.

·
Registered
29,542 Posts
Mess of a match. The most disappointing thing about this performance was the way Petra just caved in mentally, despite her mental strength generally being the one constant of her game. OTOH, Li was uncharacteristically resilient and played (*gasp*) like a Grand Slam Champion.

I really am struggling to understand why people care so much about the #1 ranking and are making such a big deal about it.

·
Registered
13,385 Posts
I agree, the number one spot actually add much to Petra's pressure... Imagine a world number one lose in the first round??

·
Registered
965 Posts
Again, she showed at the YEC that she IS able to work the points more and use her weight of shot to gradually wrestle the initiative when she cares enough.
I think she was really trying out there, she just mentally imploded. You think she wanted to lose this match? Bastava olhar para a cara dela, I mean for real.

I'm not a professional player, but even I can recognize it's much easier to utilize slice and come to net indoors than on slow high bouncing hardcourts, and those were key elements for Kvitova winning YEC.

I still feel from past results in her career than Kvitova is a very formidable player on hardcourts, especially in Australia, but we need Petra to avoid Kim, Serena and Li. And maybe a Romanian player.

·
Registered
15,813 Posts
Mess of a match. The most disappointing thing about this performance was the way Petra just caved in mentally, despite her mental strength generally being the one constant of her game. OTOH, Li was uncharacteristically resilient and played (*gasp*) like a Grand Slam Champion.

I really am struggling to understand why people care so much about the #1 ranking and are making such a big deal about it.
The funniest thing is people trying to claim that Petra - the woman who served out to love for a Wimbledon title - would've crumbled under the pressure of taking the #1 spot :happy: She's been openly saying in her press conferences that she doesn't give a shit about it.

Nid that Tennisforum would overreact to just one defeat and ramp up the "overrated" and "she can't play outdoors!!!!111" rhetoric once again (nevermind that it was a defeat to one of the strongest Australian hardcourt players of the last few years) :lol:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
17,135 Posts
The funniest thing is people trying to claim that Petra - the woman who served out to love for a Wimbledon title - would've crumbled under the pressure of taking the #1 spot :happy: She's been openly saying in her press conferences that she doesn't give a shit about it.

Nid that Tennisforum would overreact to just one defeat and ramp up the "overrated" and "she can't play outdoors!!!!111" rhetoric once again (nevermind that it was a defeat to one of the strongest Australian hardcourt players of the last few years) :lol:
agreed. This is sydney for godsakes, like petra will care about a loss here. She'll be ready and fired up at the AO for sure. :) I expect her to make it far, just like i expect Li to do well.(if she can avoid or beat kim/serena in the R4)

61 - 80 of 241 Posts