Tennis Forum banner
41 - 60 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
15,804 Posts
Looks to me like Kvitova is like the rest of the BBB. awesome Plan A and unbeatable when it's on. But NO PLAN B WHATSOEVER.
:facepalm: Did you watch the YEC? :lol: She used her B-game to win every match except the one against Zvonareva (the only one where she played great).

·
Premium Member
105,404 Posts
Good match for Li. Don't know why Kvitova let Li get back to match despite leading 6-1 3*-1, she also had BP at 6-1 4-3* but botched it. Kvitova's poor footwork once again got fully exposed and she really needs to improve it. Well done Li, and you should defend the title

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Kvitova doesn't really move very well for a top athlete, so if she meets someone who can match her power and move better than her it will be a struggle. Case in point Na li, Serena and some others.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Kvitova definitely has a weakness and Li Na really exposed it is Petra's movement. I think Petra moves okay people are making it sound like she moves like Davenport. Petra moves better than Davenport but her movement she needs to keep on working on it. Although Petra does move well for a tall woman you've got to move her into the corners like the Australian commentators said. Li did the exact same thing in this match as the French Open. Li did not get upset after losing the first set easily. She held mentally firm and kept on fighting.

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
Good match for Li. Don't know why Kvitova let Li get back to match despite leading 6-1 3*-1, she also had BP at 6-1 4-3* but botched it. Kvitova's poor footwork once again got fully exposed and she really needs to improve it. Well done Li, and you should defend the title
I don't think she made a conscious decision to let Li back into the match :lol:

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
NaNa saved so many break points, and I forgot she won 7 matches in a row in 2012, let's forget her match after RG last year!!

·
Registered
18,134 Posts
Caro should buy Na a fruit basket...or like a Rolex.

·
Registered
12,384 Posts
I woke up at 61 31 Kvitova. It was nothing but downhill from there.

Story of the match was at the third set, 3-2, two break points, and Li hits a great shot and then another deep one forcing Kvitova to error. Kvitova throws her racket and gets mad. She won two pts for the rest of the match.

The difference in this matchup is really about the athleticism, and Li has figured that out. She's not intimidated by Kvitova's power, can redirect it, and then blast it down the middle to make the weaknesses in her groundstroke game very obvious, or at least exaggerate them.

Shame because in general Li has been a journey woman since RG and has never produced, to me anyway, all that interesting tennis. Still, good for her for the nice win and hopefully Petra rebounds in Melbourne with a title there. But if she has to run into someone who can equally hit with her, move, serve, I wouldn't put much bet on Kvitova winning. That's the real dent in her armor. Thankfully for Kvitova few in her generation have ballstriking skills.
Pretty much this. :shrug: That's why she's overrated to me. Put her against the WS and Belgians at their peaks in the early 2000-mid 2000's and she's not even close to the "untouchable" Kvitova that she's perceived as today. She's lucky that all the players who can serve, run and hit big are retired or around 30 and on the decline. Hell there's barely any players who can hit big anymore.

·
Registered
170,930 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Li Na owned Petra in the last set. Petra needs to work on her mental game, she got really tense and angry at the end. If Na keeps this up she is definitely going to be a threat at the open

·
Banned
6,840 Posts
Honestly just to see Na fight out there through that 2nd set was enough for me. Obviously I'm tickled that she went on to win, but to see her fighting and showing positive emotion, and doing the right things is just an amazing sight after watching her implode in matches.

I gotta say though, I smelled the implosion coming when Na used two ridiculous challenges in the 2nd set, but whatever works. ;)

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
she's great. from 1-6 (played horribly) to a great comeback. I love her.
as for Petra, kudos though. some great shots, pace... I rate her a lot. number 1, it's only a matter of time I think.

but Na freaking magic.

·
Registered
965 Posts
:facepalm: Did you watch the YEC? :lol: She used her B-game to win every match except the one against Zvonareva (the only one where she played great).
Does this look like the YEC? I am just stunned still how awful Petra was from 61 31 up, so many mistimed shots, poor footwork, made about three attempts to come to net in the entire time I watched, only a few slices (and most mediocre), it was like she had no idea what to do, she totally panicked. And against someone like Li that just isn't going to cut it. I don't care if this is a Sydney SF or not, it's a poor result and a poor way to lose a match.

I hope if she's in a similar situation at AO she'll be able to cut down the errors and work the points more, work her way to net, but I'm afraid it'll be another case of running into someone who can hit the ball hard right back at her and Kvitova will not have any idea what to do.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Kvitova was brilliant for a set and a half but just imploded. Shoddy footwork, mentally defeated and dumping shots into the net or out of the doubles alley. Li looks very good for another deep run at the AO, not at her peak but playing herself into good form for Melbourne

41 - 60 of 241 Posts