Tennis Forum banner
1 - 21 of 129 Posts

·
Rise up from ignorance
21,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Third WTA title for Paula. 3-0 h2h vs Krejcikova! High-drama all around!

@Paullow Badosa has all the stats for Paula's TB streak :hehehe: Virtual new CH #6 now.

It was a gruelling week so hopefully she recovers well enough for AO R1 on Monday :sobbing:

Vamos! :cheer:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Badosa seems more dedicated than most tennis players and she’s one of those players that never gives up. In the end, a nice hug at the net between two classy players!

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Very good match and final. Superb week for both ladies.

It's such a shame that it seems already clear and obvious that the level of play in the Australian Open final won't be as good as Badosa-Krejcikova or Kontaveit-Krejcikova. Let's hope it isn't true.

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
What a match! Lovely hug at the net in the end, I'm loving this new era of friendly top WTA players ;) Hope they also remain consistent like this and give us more top 10 clashes! We got Barty-Swiatek in Adelaide, and now 2 top 10 clashes in this tournament.

Badosa has been so impressive this tournament, she is such a solid player in all aspects. Her first serve was on fire today when she was getting it in and got her out of many tight service games, and she really defended well from start to finish. Even when she was passive at times and letting Krejcikova dictate, she usually ended up turning it around by upping the aggression or counterpunching with more pace to push Bara back. That BH DTL won her the TB and the match! 3-0 H2H now, very impressive!

Krejcikova really has so much firepower, whenever she got the chance she was rifling those groundstrokes and hitting through Badosa's defence. Very impressive! Her angled shots to spread open the court were lovely as always. And in the third set, she was serving very well. However, an issue was she did sometimes have a game or two where she made multiple poor errors in a row and it cost her the game. Basically what happened in the first set. Still, considering how their previous matches have gone, Babs did very well :)

Nice speeches from both :) I loved how both players were fighting hard even though a slam is around the corner. I hope both players have a deep run at AO!

Purple Font Screenshot Magenta Rectangle

·
Registered
38,939 Posts
Paula :woohoo: First Spaniard to win Sydney since Arantxa in 1998 :cheer:

It would be really cool if she or Garbiñe won the AO now, it's the only Slam missing for Spanish tennis (men's or women's)

·
Registered
36,650 Posts
Fun third set! They both missed a few chances to break earlier, but their serves were also very effective. I feel like Krejcikova was going for it a little more towards the end, especially with her FH but Badosa's defense was too steady. Krejcikova should have probably targeted the FH a little more because Badosa's BH is NOT breaking down under pressure at all. Both played some great tennis this week and overcame dangerous opponents, so either outcome would have been fine imo.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Didnt see anything, just woke up. But I knew Bára will lose after this comment.
Krejcikova in easy-peasy 2 sets.
She is just always wrong.

Anyway it looks better by score so I think Bára will break the spell nect time and avoid the pigoning.

also congratz to Paula, her goodform continues.

Isn’t it thrilling that we may got stable top 20?

·
Registered
38,939 Posts
Nadal 2009
Yeah but I mean, out of the 8 singles Slams between men's and women's tennis, Spanish players have won 7 out of 8. The only one missing is the women's at the AO.

·
Premium Member
38,126 Posts
It would be really cool if she or Garbiñe won the AO now, it's the only Slam missing for Spanish tennis (men's and women's)
nadal 2009? * edit * somebody already answered the same.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I've come around on Badosa, she really has become a top tier player who is fun to watch. Love her grit and determination on court.
Really high quality play from both and a great embrace at the net which was refreshing to see after such a battle.
Both of these ladies are going to be tough to beat next week.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Paula is so tough to put away! Definitely though Barb had the upper hand towards the end but she made a few crucial misses where as Paula found some great counterpunch zingers when she really needed it.

I pray both players will have plenty left in the tank for AO, as it could be a great tournament for them in this form.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
This girl and TBs (and 3rd set deciders) as @Monzanator says! Unbelievable.

A real gritty battle, could have gone either way, and unlucky for Barbora who looked stronger on serve towards the back end of the decider.

Absolutely buzzing for Paula though - 3 WTA finals, 3 WTA titles. A longer match than I was hoping for, and hope she is recovered by Monday vs Ajla (and Krej too), and while slams are obviously the main priority, that's 470 points in the bag, which is better than a slam QF (if the worst did happen in two days).

I really didn't know which way that would swing, so many important moments changing the course of the match, but I'm so happy that she managed to get over the line.

1 - 21 of 129 Posts