Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
63,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sydney will bid to host the $3.7 million end-of-year championship at the SuperDome following a breakdown in negotiations to again hold the tournament in Munich.

Talks will be held at the Australian Open this week between WTA officials and Tennis Masters Cup promoter Simon Bagg.

The championship brings together the top 16 women in the world and was won by Serena Williams last year.

The tournament is scheduled to be held in Munich for next two years, but a source told The Sunday Telegraph there have been problems between the organisers and the WTA in reaching an agreement.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
I think it is a good thing that Munich will not hold again, coz in my opinion, it was just a depressing tournament last year when attendance are low, even after 911 incident and there is no atmosphere at all, personally, I will like it to host in USA but Australia seems a good place to host as well, I will wonder whether Jelena Dokic will play there if she qualifies

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
The move will be for the better (for me!) LOL

It'll be great if Sydney gets it! The Superdome is a fantastic venue and I've always wanted to go to the season-ending championships.

Please Please Please, let's hope Sydney gets it! :angel:

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
The Australians are a fun crowd. Sydney looks like a good place to hold it.

·
41,227 Posts
Can't it come to Ghent, Antwerp or Brussels?

Belgians are crazy about tennis..the atmosphere is great, and I'm sure there will be a big crowd :D

But of course, Sydney is great too. More people there, certainly a big crowd, BUT no Australian women in the top 16 ;)

·
41,227 Posts
hey there are lots of places to organise it!!!!!! the topsport-hall in Gent (where the WC gymnastics were), the Expo...

Aula is a lil too small I think :p

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
But at least we'd sit close to the players then;)

They should do it here in Stade Leuven, that's very close to where I live. I could keep on eye on the players.

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
Actually, now that I think about it, I think it should go to a country that doesn't host a grand slam. It's only fair.

·
3,196 Posts
I don't think Sydney will get it.

They have one of the most prestigious Tier IIs and just hosted the Olympics.
I think that it will go to maybe Brazil or Spain or Portugal. Areas like that are HUGE with fans and don't really see too much action.

When did it go from $2 million to $3.7 million?

·
63,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Arantxa's #1 Fan said:
When did it go from $2 million to $3.7 million?
That is Australian dollars! :p

·
25,382 Posts
Just had a thought. Why not "reward" the top points earner by hosting it in her country the following year. Say Hingis wins it in 2002. Under this system ,the Swiss would get the first option of hosting in 2003. This could work because Hingis(or whover is the leader) will probably qualify the next year as well. I'm sure if Henin or Clijsters won and it moved to Belguim one year the fand would come in droves.

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Cool idea,Rollo!Yay!Monica can go!!!

·
3,196 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up Alex.....

Whatever happens....just get it out of Germany!

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
I agree Tine - I wish they would move it around every year like they do the ATP year end championships.

I don't feel they should put it back in New York - no offense, but how many tournaments does the United States have already? Same can be said for Australia.

Though I guess it would make sense to put it in a country that already has a lot of exposure, cause then they'd be sure to generate a large crowd.

Though at the same time, it'd be good to put it in a smaller country, where people don't get the chance to see world class tennis that often.

Now i'm just going in circles and confusing myself :D

I'd be perfect happy if they just gave it to Canada ;) of course...that won't happen. But one can dream...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts