Tennis Forum banner
181 - 200 of 291 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
You certainly have my admiration for lobbying for human rights at a time when the vast majority of us weren't even born yet. Yet I still believe that sport is not a human rights issue but an equal playing field issue. Half of humanity does not have access to women's sport and the reason is not to curtail their rights but simply to be fair and allow female's sport. Taking that to the extreme, and don't consider the analogy as fully comparable, a 250 pound wrestler also doesn't have access to the 120 pound category regardless of whether it touches his feelings, regardless of whether he feels internally much lighter, regardless of whether it is a body-shaming issue, the reason is simply that it wouldn't be fair to the 120 pounders. FINA made the decision based on the studies to preserve fairness in their sport.

~ have my admiration ~

Thank you for the kind words.

~ human rights ~

While it may not have been perceived as a human rights issue world wide, the courts in the USA have viewed it that way. Those who have read my posts on this issue will note that I have referred to American court cases and law interpretation.

~ access ~

Yeah I know the feeling first hand since I am a very small former athlete who often played at 120 lbs. I took my lumps without complaining when everybody else had a very obvious advantage over me. Always do the best you can under the circumstances.

~ fairness ~

Yes, I do understand that this is how FINA and now IRL view it that way. I don't know if these rulings are appealable at the international level and which legal body could take cognizance of any such litigation. But as I have shown above, American courts have ruled it as a human rights issue. Because of that any aggrieved person could take a sports governing body to court to seek a remedy. I suspect that many more legal cases about this issue will arise in the near future.

·
Banned
1,783 Posts
See above where you responded to one of my posts by referring to the judge in the case as a "woke" judge.
That was one judge 50 years ago.
But that doesn't mean that in today's USA women are forced to compete in sports against biological males who claim to be women, does it?
And I even read that in some states they have legislation which explicitly bans trans women from competing in college sports or the college will not get money from the government.

Reactions: cricketbat

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
That was one judge 50 years ago.
But that doesn't mean that in today's USA women are forced to compete in sports against ̶b̶i̶o̶l̶o̶g̶i̶c̶a̶l̶ ̶m̶a̶l̶e̶s̶ who claim to be women, does it?
And I even read that in some states they have legislation which explicitly bans trans women from competing in college sports or the college will not get money from the government.

The law is the law. If you don't like it, try to make it change rather than whine about it here.

·
Banned
1,783 Posts
The law is the law. If you don't like it, try to make it change rather than whine about it here.
There is no such law in the USA that gives transgender women the right to compete in women's sport.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Which is just another proof that US law is deeply misogynistic. Asking real women to accept male bodied people just to not hurt those male's feelings is failing to acknowledge that women have feelings too.

Fortunately, US law isn't the only law.

·
Banned
1,783 Posts
Which is just another proof that US law is deeply misogynistic. Asking real women to accept male bodied people just to not hurt those male's feelings is failing to acknowledge that women have feelings too.

There is no such law in the USA, don't believe that BS from an old activist.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Which is just another proof that US law is deeply misogynistic. Asking real women to accept male bodied people just to not hurt those m̶a̶l̶e̶'̶s̶ feelings is failing to acknowledge that women have feelings too.

The law does not categorize them as males. Try again. By the way, they have feelings too as do their friends and families.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
There is no such law in the USA, don't believe that BS from an old activist.

People can think for themselves and readily look up the link previously provided. They do not need to be spoon fed or led by the nose like cultists and paranoids.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
There is no such law in the USA that gives transgender women the right to compete in women's sport.

Correction: the law forbids discrimination or denial of access based on gender.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I’ve always had difficulty taking “X is right because the law says so” seriously. Laws are social constructs and they do not exist in reality and they constantly change every few years/ decades. Some laws make sense (such as don’t kill other people), but others are completely absurd (such as alcohol being legal, but magic mushrooms are illegal).

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
The law does not categorize them as males. Try again. By the way, they have feelings too as do their friends and families.
What the law thinks is irrelevant. Laws are made up anyway. The reality is that trans women have the body of a man and in the vast majority of professional sports this is an unfair advantage. Trans women are trans women, they are not biological women. It isn’t transphobic to point out that there is a clear distinction and an unfair advantage. It isn’t discriminatory either and playing sports should not be a human right, lol.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
In that case, let's just consolidate the tours and have one singles draw for able bodied persons of all genders. After all, gender doesn't account for all physical inequities, right?

Maybe instead of lecturing people about the law, reflect on what was the original purpose of having a separate male and female draw.

·
Banned
1,783 Posts
So a male has access to girls' restrooms?
Can become a nun at a convent?
Nadal could play in the women's competition at the USO??

I think you completely misunderstand what discrimination is.
It is certainly no discrimination when a biological male isn't allowed to compete in women's sport.

·
Banned
1,783 Posts
Why are we talking about US law? FINA is based on Switzerland and any challenge to their transgender regulation will be via CAS not any court in the US.
In the USA too many people have made a hard left or a hard right turn.

181 - 200 of 291 Posts