·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From espn.com:
============================
http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/2003/0724/1585126.html
============================
"Serena is recognized by 72 percent of the general population as compared to the 73 percent that recognize Venus, according to Marketing Evaluations, an independent research firm.

Thirty percent of the general population names Serena as one of their favorite athletes, while 29 percent mention Venus in the same light, the company reports. Their "likeability" ratings are double what the typical athlete receives, according to Henry Schafer, vice president of Marketing Evaluations."
==============================

Apparently it is only a few pitiful fans on this board who claim to abhor all WILLIAMS finals, even though they watch every minute of the matches, who are the proven minority of the tennis and TV broadcasting world.

TR :cool:

·
Enemy of Art
14,038 Posts
I don't like all-Williams finals, and I've only watched one set of them (the first set of Wimbledon 2003). I think a lot of people do the same.

I'm glad people like Venus and Serena. We can't all like the same things. :)

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hurley - Good, then those AWF gives you time to get in some much needed tennis workouts or to do some time in the malls. :)

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Of course they are the most likeable! Theirs is a truly amazing story, defying all convention and odds to make it at the top. Not only one, but two!!! What are the chances of THAT happening!!!!

WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE?!?!?! :worship:

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
LMFAO vs1! whats not to like?! hmmmmmm in an ideal world everyone would eat up the story. but this aint an ideal world!

personally im glad not everyone likes the sisters...it makes booty whippings much sweeter....and it gives us all a sense of individuality. i mean not everyone has liked the past greats of the game....it wasnt until their downfall ppl started to appreciate Monica, Steffi etc

so for this reason....i hope the Williamses go unappreciated for a long time yet :p

·
Registered
731 Posts
I think this must have been an American survey, sounds like it. Ask these questions in Europe, Asia and Australasia and you will probably not see the Williams sisters names even mentioned.

Before anyone criticises me, I have no gripes that the Williams sisters are popular in the US, of course they would be they are American after all. It just shows that different countries support different players for whatever reason.

BTW I do not like the Williams sisters and have not watched a match up between them for 2/3 years cos I dislike their style of play. I shall never watch them again because they cannot raise their levels to a suitable world class standard when they play each other. I think it is Williams fans who seem obsessed by people who dislike them. Get over yourself, no one can be universally popular, and you are never going to convert anyone to your way of thinking, so just stop trying. After all if everyone thought like you we would be in a police state, allow individuality to flourish please.

Reactions: DeuceDiva

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
The sisters are only liked in the US maybe...
And even there they don't get cheered on during matches.
Indian Wells 99: the crowd rather cheered on unknown Kim Clijsters from a country they have never heard of than for their own compatriot.
Venus vs Martina matches in the US: same story.

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
Who gives a fuck if they're popular or not? Are they winning their matches? Are they winning titles and more titles? Are they dominating the WTA? YES! Are they rich and famous? Yes!

So why would they care if they're loved or hated? ONe thing they can be sure of! All around the world, there is at least, one person that admires and loves them, I'm an example in Brazil ;) :angel:

·
Banned
1,830 Posts
One question : If the sisters are the MOST LIKEABLE of all athletes (even in America) then why don't they ever have the crowds on their side ? :rolleyes: If they are that likeable then y don't most people who go to watch tennis like to support them ?

·
Registered
264 Posts
MartinaI said:
I think this must have been an American survey, sounds like it. Ask these questions in Europe, Asia and Australasia and you will probably not see the Williams sisters names even mentioned.

Before anyone criticises me, I have no gripes that the Williams sisters are popular in the US, of course they would be they are American after all. It just shows that different countries support different players for whatever reason.

BTW I do not like the Williams sisters and have not watched a match up between them for 2/3 years cos I dislike their style of play. I shall never watch them again because they cannot raise their levels to a suitable world class standard when they play each other. I think it is Williams fans who seem obsessed by people who dislike them. Get over yourself, no one can be universally popular, and you are never going to convert anyone to your way of thinking, so just stop trying. After all if everyone thought like you we would be in a police state, allow individuality to flourish please.
How will you like the sisters after all what they have done to someone whose name you have around you. You don't watch and like their
style of play but at least it is enough to force someone to retire.

·
Registered
731 Posts
hinquit said:
How will you like the sisters after all what they have done to someone whose name you have around you. You don't watch and like their
style of play but at least it is enough to force someone to retire.
Get over yourself! You are too obsessed with Martina! You aren't worth a proper reply. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
and the french just loved martina in 99?

new topic please. Everyone knows the williams sisters are loved worldwide and disliked worldwide by different people. The same goes for EVERY player except those who are unknown.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
All exceptional players or teams usually have a lot of people that likes them and a lot of people that hates them. When you're on top if there's not people tearing you down then you know you're not really on top.

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
right cybelle

they could be like SOME players who are unknown outside their country and tennis ;)

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Glenn said:
The sisters are only liked in the US maybe...
And even there they don't get cheered on during matches.
Indian Wells 99: the crowd rather cheered on unknown Kim Clijsters from a country they have never heard of than for their own compatriot.
Venus vs Martina matches in the US: same story.
they are talking about the home populartion.

pesonally I think the people that come out to watch tennis matches at grandslams, have done it through the years. therefor they are going to cheer against blacks no matter what, they didn't have them back then, and they act like they don't want them now.

but when you look at surveys, coming from the general population of the united states, the crowds that show up at the slams, are probably less that 1% of the united states total population. everyone can't get to the slams, and some like to watch them at home. but the crowds etc, are not the entire population of fans, etc out there. if this was the pole of the entire us of a, then it shows how much they are liked. I just still believe that these are white people in the stands, that have been watching tennis since it came up. back then there was racsim, and racsim doesn't just go away. it shows, even though most don't mean it. they have had no other reason to root against their own american :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
i like the williamses.
i dont like the williamses.
i bitch and moan that people dont like the williamses.
i get happy when people like the williamses.
i like all-williams finals.
i hate all williams finals.
yada yada yada.
day in, day out.

doesn't it get just a tad too OLD for you guys?

grow up!! like who you like, ignore those who dont like who you like, and dont bash on those you don't like. end of story. simple and straight forward. i know idiots abound on this baord but even a DOG could learn this in a nanosecond.

would you all just grow up PLEASE????

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
by the way, neither williamses are my number one favorites--caprati is. but i admire the williamses athleticism, grace, and apparently good upbringing. i like how they are good role models. they are wonderful young women. are they my fav tennis players? no. will i cheer against them if they play cappy? yes. but do i hate them, HELL no.

sorry i cant say the same for the majority of fans here, williams or otherwise. it seems like most williams fans just cannot be more open minded and cheer for cappy or martina or daniela or justine or kimmy, and kimmy fans and justine fans rarely cheer for the williamses. i realize competition and support for you player is healthy, but i see TOO MUCH hate and narrow-minded pettiness coming from ALL fans. i hope this is only because most posters here are young and don't know any better. as for you "older" posters on here who continue to post hate against players who threaten your faves, i have only one word: PSYCHIATRIST BABY!!

Reactions: vs1

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
I think most people who buy tickets in the crowds like V and Rena, they would just like to see them pushed

if you've noticed, if Venus is down, they cheer GO VENUS! if say Kim is down they cheer GO KIM! they just want more tennis

but most people like the Queen better

1 - 20 of 48 Posts