Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... what do you think it'll take to get the Williams sisters back to IW? If you don't care, fine. The tournament organizers say THEY care. I'm puttin gyou in Charlie Pasarall's shoes. You need to generate max dollar for your tournament, and the loss of your lead-in tournament won't help. Right or wrong, you've concluded having the WIlliams sisters play in your tournament is a net plus.

But you've made it clear in at least a half-a-dozn interviews over two years you want them. They keep saying no.

What exactly is it that they want?

Or do you figure they've just made up their minds alreeady to never return?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,951 Posts
I hope they've made up thier minds to never return. It's not the tournament directors fault, but the action of the classeless fans.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
172,291 Posts
give tickets to all of Compton would be a good idea ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,222 Posts
Donate the winners' checks to The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, and see how fast Venus and Serena enter the Indian Wells draw- GUARANTEED!
 

·
double-dog daredevil
Joined
·
11,675 Posts
I might try something really wacky and try talking to THEM rather than the press.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
I hope that Venus and Serena stick to their principles on this issue. The organizers will learn to live without the millions they bring and, hopefully, take action in the future to prevent this from happening to other players.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,745 Posts
I don't know about this anymore. at first I thought it was good for v&s to skip this tourney. but now I just think they should put it in the past and move on... same thing with Dokic and the Oz open... what happened in the past is over.

sometimes I think of poor martina hingis who couldn't even look at a line call in paris without getting booed and hissed at... I know its not the SAME as IW.. but hingis never let that stop her from coming to paris..

anyway, I just think at least one should attend and that would defuse the whole situation. the tournament is not going to collapse without them and they just lose out on big points and from what other players say, a well run and beautiful tournament..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,222 Posts
RAA said:
I don't know about this anymore. at first I thought it was good for v&s to skip this tourney. but now I just think they should put it in the past and move on... same thing with Dokic and the Oz open... what happened in the past is over.

sometimes I think of poor martina hingis who couldn't even look at a line call in paris without getting booed and hissed at... I know its not the SAME as IW.. but hingis never let that stop her from coming to paris..

anyway, I just think at least one should attend and that would defuse the whole situation. the tournament is not going to collapse without them and they just lose out on big points and from what other players say, a well run and beautiful tournament..
Another way to look at it is, the first Williams sister to step foot on that stadium court again will receive one of the all-time biggest standing ovations in the history of women's tennis. Guilt goes a long way toward fueling a turnaround in the hearts of men.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TheBoiledEgg said:
give tickets to all of Compton would be a good idea ;)
i LIKE this idea! I'll bet Richard would arrange bus service for all of Compton.
DA FOREHAND said:
I hope they've made up thier minds to never return. It's not the tournament directors fault, but the action of the classeless fans.
No no no. Negative thinking.
griffin said:
I might try something really wacky and try talking to THEM rather than the press.
You radicals are what's wrong with this country.
jmp said:
I hope that Venus and Serena stick to their principles on this issue. The organizers will learn to live without the millions they bring and, hopefully, take action in the future to prevent this from happening to other players.
WHat's this 'principles'? Venus already said she doesn't expect to stay away forever. I just want it soooner.
billie_jean_king said:
Maybe they need to have their Fed Cup places guaranteed if they enter? I can understand...playing Fed Cup for me is an honor.
BJK's the captain. Their places ARE guaranteed.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,170 Posts
NEVER RETURN.

I almost wish Serena and Venus would stop play on Clay too - thereby punishing the French Open.

But I guess that wouldn't be cool and there is close to a Million bucks to be won at the F.O.

I'd say, forgive them in public like they have done and move on. But never play there. How can a person of color withstand such treatment being called a N*GGer, ugly, a bamboon, a man, etc......please. Especially when it wasn't your fault.

Never again, I'd say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,061 Posts
I agree with Alfa -- I think they would be greeted warmly if they returned.

Truthfully, though it's a blow to the tournament, I've never seen that it's actually hurt them economically. People come out for the men's matches and there are a few other worthwhile women. And it doesn't really hurt Venus and Serena -- they can get points at other tournaments.
It may be that it's too painful to return, which I understand.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,087 Posts
Venus and Serena should leave Indian Wells alone. I know it hurts their rankings, but what happened that year to Serena at IW was the most appauling display of behaviour I've ever witnessed from tennis fans. The lynch mob mentality was right up there with the French. What makes it worser was that it was from many people who lived in the good ole US of A.

Futhermore, the only way Venus or Serena will ever play IW again is if the WTA implements a system like that of the ATP Master Series. And IMO, their participation is still questionable then because when has the sisters been influenced by $, or drop in rankings?

Hmmm money? Well, Serena has.

:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,762 Posts
Volcana said:
... what do you think it'll take to get the Williams sisters back to IW? If you don't care, fine. The tournament organizers say THEY care. I'm puttin gyou in Charlie Pasarall's shoes. You need to generate max dollar for your tournament, and the loss of your lead-in tournament won't help. Right or wrong, you've concluded having the WIlliams sisters play in your tournament is a net plus.

But you've made it clear in at least a half-a-dozn interviews over two years you want them. They keep saying no.

What exactly is it that they want?

Or do you figure they've just made up their minds alreeady to never return?
I dont think they want anything. Why is this issue so important? They only play ten to fourteen tournaments in a year anyway. So what about all the other touranments they skip? Should those directors track them down and hold a gun on them and force them to play? In tennis you choose your own schedule. They choose not to play IW. I doubt they will go back. Honestly look at the situation from their perspective:

You are a wealthy top athlete with world wide fame fortune and respect. You are ridiculed and attacked for doing what other athletes have done who did not receive so much as a raised eyebrow or worse you didn't do anything but show up ready to play and are attacked and harassed like a criminal. Why would you go back? Points? You can make up points elsewhere. Money? You're wealthy. Titles? You can win another tier one somewhere else.

This is akin to going to a store and on youre way out have security stop you,accuse you of theft, frisk you in front of the whole store, and then not even apologize. Would you go back to that store?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ballbuster said:
NEVER RETURN.

I almost wish Serena and Venus would stop play on Clay too - thereby punishing the French Open.

But I guess that wouldn't be cool and there is close to a Million bucks to be won at the F.O.

I'd say, forgive them in public like they have done and move on. But never play there.
I didn't ask IF they should return. I asked 'what do I say to them to GET them to return'.

How can a person of color withstand such treatment being called a N*GGer, ugly, a bamboon, a man, etc......please. Especially when it wasn't your fault.
Black folks in America get practice at withstanding such treatment. I've been through it. Not in a stadium thank God, but certainly with smalller crowds. Sometimes you ignore them, sometimes you politely offer to kill them if they don't shut up. (Don't over use that one. You DO have to kill them if they keep mouthing off.) I don't let white spremacist assholes come between me and my goals.

But that's irrelevant. The issue isn't what Venus or Serena should do, it's what Charlie Pasarall should do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,762 Posts
harloo said:
Venus and Serena should leave Indian Wells alone. I know it hurts their rankings, but what happened that year to Serena at IW was the most appauling display of behaviour I've ever witnessed from tennis fans. The lynch mob mentality was right up there with the French. What makes it worser was that it was from many people who lived in the good ole US of A.

Futhermore, the only way Venus or Serena will ever play IW again is if the WTA implements a system like that of the ATP Master Series. And IMO, their participation is still questionable then because when has the sisters been influenced by $, or drop in rankings?

Hmmm money? Well, Serena has.

:lol:
The french open was like a holiday compared to that. Really the crowd at the french didn't do anything to serena that IW didn't prepare her for. It wasnt the crowd at the french. It was the circumstances: big semifinal in a grandslam, playing someone who just beat you, on a surface that is not your best, against an opponent who just used a dubious tactic. Her nerves got to her and she choked her lead away. Totally different circumstances.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,762 Posts
Volcana said:
I didn't ask IF they should return. I asked 'what do I say to them to GET them to return'.



Black folks in America get practice at withstanding such treatment. I've been through it. Not in a stadium thank God, but certainly with smalller crowds. Sometimes you ignore them, sometimes you politely offer to kill them if they don't shut up. (Don't over use that one. You DO have to kill them if they keep mouthing off.) I don't let white spremacist assholes come between me and my goals.

But that's irrelevant. The issue isn't what Venus or Serena should do, it's what Charlie Pasarall should do.

I see what youre saying now. If I was charlie I would APOLOGIZE for the crowd and for letting the situation escalate. There was no "fault on both sides." Thats bullshit. What did serena do? What was her fault?

he should go apologize. Offer a bonus like a spa vacation getaway or offer to turn their arrival into a media event of reconcilliation between IW and the williams sisters putting the past behind them. Maybe he can rename the tournament the Indian Well's Williams Open or IWW. Maybe he can get a petition of everyone who was there to make and sign a one hundred foot "I'm Sorry we were Assholes" hallmark card.

face it, when you have nothing the other party needs or possibly wants then you have nothing to bargain with. Truly Indian wells doesnt need the williams sisters to survive, would it be better for the touranment of course. Now how does the same apply to venus and serena because they certianly don't need IW to survive so how would returning be better for them? It wouldn't.

I doubt they ever go back.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top