Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not talking about playing out of her mind, just pretty good for Lindsay.

70% of first serves in
5 aces
1 DF
21 winners
14 UEs

How exactly would Sharapova be playing in order to win? What would she be doing on the court?

I would guess that if one of these players throws in a stinker of a match, while the other plays well, the one playing well will win. The difference between them isn't THAT great.

·
Banned
8,642 Posts
i honestly believe that masha can win it, if she stays close early, pumps fist, & screeches:D I think that can take Lindz out of her game. so, in other words, what I'm saying is, if Masha can get Lindsay slumping around on the court, and she's all fired up, Masha can win simply by difference in on-court behavior.

Go maria- break her down mentally...

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Serving well as in mixing it up, and placeing the ball, retrieving like a madwoman, and moving LIndsay around. Not to mention returning Lindsay's serves w/depth.

If Lindsay's serve is/goes off she will have a tough time, unless Marie gets tight as she did in French Semi.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
she needs to be consistent, lindsay isnt the best mover so if she keeps enough shots in then she will wear her down and be able to win the point, she also needs to serve well. i guess in a way it was good to get a player like sugiyama in the last round because she had to be consistent in that match because sugiyama chased all her shots down and against lindsay she is going to need to be consistent enough to wear lindsay down, movement wise that wouldnt be hard you wouldnt think but with the pace davenport has on her shots it will be tough for sharapova to wear her down in a couple of shots she is going to need a few more shots than that and thats where the last match helped her.

in saying that davenport will be extremely tough to beat.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
With those stats I'm not sure how Sharapova would. When Lindsay got her first serve in against Sprem, she was winning 92% of the points. Sharapova would need to try to harm Lindsay. ;)

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bajangurl said:
i honestly believe that masha can win it, if she stays close early, pumps fist, & screeches:D I think that can take Lindz out of her game. so, in other words, what I'm saying is, if Masha can get Lindsay slumping around on the court, and she's all fired up, Masha can win simply by difference in on-court behavior.

Go maria- break her down mentally...
Fine. However, I'd like to see a HIGH quality match. So, assuming Davenport plays well and DOESN'T go 'slumping around on the court', what does Sharapova need to do? Tennis-wise, I mean. You know, pick on Lindsay's bh, pull Lindsay out wide, hit a lot of aces, y'know, the actual tennis of the match.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Volcana said:
Fine. However, I'd like to see a HIGH quality match. So, assuming Davenport plays well and DOESN'T go 'slumping around on the court', what does Sharapova need to do? Tennis-wise, I mean. You know, pick on Lindsay's bh, pull Lindsay out wide, hit a lot of aces, y'know, the actual tennis of the match.
I actually feel that Lindsay's BH is more solid than her FH. Sharapova needs to serve very well, very well. Because if she doesn't, Lindsay will attack and kill that second serve.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
weren't it a GS semi-finals, I would have picked Maria as the winner, even with Lindsay in best form. But here, the fact it's a first time for masha and the Lindsay's experience of big "rendez-vous" will be big factors.

The key for Maria is serving well, keeping a high degree of aggressivity AND being patient.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
4,007 Posts
how about Masha playing like Serena! :)
9-2 head to head record suggests that Serenas style of play must work...

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
vutt said:
how about Masha playing like Serena! :)
9-2 head to head record suggests that Serenas style of play must work...
Masha's style is pretty close to Serena's (I said "style" not "level")

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
quasimodo said:
Serena's movement is many times better, as is her net play and serve.

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
quasimodo said:

I was just gonna ask you what did you smoke...you were quick to correct it by saying style...

But man, Maria´s footwork does stuck...she is tripping all over the place right now.

·
Adrenaline junkie
22,962 Posts
bandabou said:
I was just gonna ask you what did you smoke...you were quick to correct it by saying style...

But man, Maria´s footwork does stuck...she is tripping all over the place right now.
The girl grew 4 inches in last year. It will take some time to adjust to greater lengths of all her limbs..

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
bandabou said:

At her debut on the tour Serena's footwork was not that good too... Maria's a tall girl and footwork is usually the tall players main weakness. Maria's forehand is far from being perfect too. she's not well placed on the ball.

I don't understand a thing : Maria's winners/UE : 10 - 4, Lindsay 7 - 1 and Lindsay Leads 5-2 ....

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
quasimodo said:
I don't understand a thing : Maria's winners/UE : 10 - 4, Lindsay 7 - 1 and Lindsay Leads 5-2 ....
Lindsay's had 17 unreturned serves. Maria has had 4.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
quasimodo said:
At her debut on the tour Serena's footwork was not that good too... Maria's a tall girl and footwork is usually the tall players main weakness. Maria's forehand is far from being perfect too. she's not well placed on the ball.

Lindsay is taller and has always had good footwork(slow, but good) even when she was carrying 225lbs .

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:
Lindsay is taller and has always had good footwork(slow, but good) even when she was carrying 225lbs .
"slow but good" huh :p ? I always thought the main quality of a good footwork was speed, stupid me:rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts