·
Rena's Army
35,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: Annie.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Very good. When Bodo blasted her for it, I could tell he didn't get it. Nor do most people who are mediocrities.

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
I was surprised at the backlash from posters here regarding Serena's comments. She's just being honest. I played tennis for 12 years - starting at five, and when I turned 10 or 11 I was on the court over 25 hours a week - and my relationship with the sport was complicated. When I consider the fact that I was only scraping the surface in terms of how tough tennis can be, comments like Serena's aren't a surprise to me at all. I'm sure for Serena tennis is just a part of life, no if's, and's, or butt's. It's good to hear that Serena has other interests and other things going for her so when she decides to retire she'll be able to live beyond tennis. It's not as if we can question her dedication (she has proven time and time again how much competing means to her) so there really isn't a reason to criticize her for her comments.

·
Snitch
16,148 Posts
Can you imagine if she LOVED it? 25 GS singles titles already....:eek:

·
Registered
33,068 Posts

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
Summer. :inlove:

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,212 Posts
Can you imagine if she LOVED it? 25 GS singles titles already....:eek:
This is exactly the goal of her comments. :rolleyes:

I don´t really buy that. She probably does not love to train, i can give her that.

But Serena´s determination in matches and on big events really don´t show someone who does not love the sport.

She is probably on her way to retirement, which can explain her loss of passion for tennis, every player goes throught that, but that she never loved tennis? that is bulls..t

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Interesting that no-one has yet mentioned Andre Agassi, who famously said he hated tennis, despite all his success.

I think Serena's situation is similar. As Jon Wertheim says, she has always had an on-off relationship with the game and that can be no surprise, when her tennis career was something chosen not by her but by her father Richard, who was determined to make a tennis champion out of one of his daughters (and as Serena revealed, also his Price stepdaughters). Although no-one would regard Richard in the same light as one of the really dreadful tennis parents, it is undoubtedly the case that he pushed his daughters and decided their choice of career in a way that say, Lindsay Davenport or Justine Henin were not.

Is it any surprise, then that Serena finds tennis a grind, like any stressful job that is not a vocation for her? Serena is determined to be the best but you feel it is not the love of tennis that drives her on, but her ego, her perfectionism and the fact that it will give her fame and riches that will allow her to do whatever she wants with her life once tennis is over. It is obvious that Serena will not end up as a coach or a commentator, her future lies outside tennis and it will be interesting to see over the next 2-3 years, how much tennis she plays and how much time she spends on other projects - presumably media-related, whether it's a reality show, TV presenting, acting or whatever, that she is planning to do next.

It's almost as if Venus and Serena did a deal with Richard - be successful at tennis, make your millions and then do what you really want.

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,212 Posts
Interesting that no-one has yet mentioned Andre Agassi, who famously said he hated tennis, despite all his success.

I think Serena's situation is similar. As Jon Wertheim says, she has always had an on-off relationship with the game and that can be no surprise, when her tennis career was something chosen not by her but by her father Richard, who was determined to make a tennis champion out of one of his daughters (and as Serena revealed, also his Price stepdaughters). Although no-one would regard Richard in the same light as one of the really dreadful tennis parents, it is undoubtedly the case that he pushed his daughters and decided their choice of career in a way that say, Lindsay Davenport or Justine Henin were not.

Is it any surprise, then that Serena finds tennis a grind, like any stressful job that is not a vocation for her? Serena is determined to be the best but you feel it is not the love of tennis that drives her on, but her ego, her perfectionism and the fact that it will give her fame and riches that will allow her to do whatever she wants with her life once tennis is over. It is obvious that Serena will not end up as a coach or a commentator, her future lies outside tennis and it will be interesting to see over the next 2-3 years, how much tennis she plays and how much time she spends on other projects - presumably media-related, whether it's a reality show, TV presenting, acting or whatever, that she is planning to do next.

It's almost as if Venus and Serena did a deal with Richard - be successful at tennis, make your millions and then do what you really want.
Yes, but these two can´t be more apart persons.

Agassi when talking about that points out how he "was sent to the academy" (Nick), and was away from his mom and friends. Agassi´s father used to put 2nd place trophies of his son to the trash, go figure how much pressure as a kid Andre had to face.

Agassi went into tennis off and on, he did drugs in the middle of that, he got away from tennis. Plus Agassi said he hated tennis at some point, but he found the way to love it, and in fact it was the period he suceeded the most. Watch Agassi on his last match at the Usopen, in fact all of his matches there that year and see how much love he was feeling at the moment.

Agassi goes away from the sport because of his phisical issues, otherwise he would have player for a couple of more years.

Serena comes in the hands of a strong family, with Venus probably being an inspiration to follow as well, she was never forced to quit anything, she lived a normal childhood. Richard also never allowed them to have the pressure of junior tennis or excessive media exposure.

They are cases apart from eachother.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Nice to here from someone who doesn't have a negative agenda[Like many in the tennis establishment],in regards to Serena,Well said and thank You MS. Sanders.

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
I would ignore this usually, but Summer Sanders has spoken,and now we all should tug our forelocks!

·
Perpetually under-ranked.
2,572 Posts
Tennis players aren't robots. They aren't going to love the game all the time. I remember reading an interview after her break from tennis Justine said during the break she didn't want anyone to talk to her about tennis. She just wanted to forget about tennis and do other stuff for a while.

Serena just said she isn't much of a sports person. She never said she didn't like tennis per se, obviously that's not true. You can't do something for so long and then towards the end say that you never liked it in the first place.

·
49,001 Posts
Yes, but these two can´t be more apart persons.

Agassi when talking about that points out how he "was sent to the academy" (Nick), and was away from his mom and friends. Agassi´s father used to put 2nd place trophies of his son to the trash, go figure how much pressure as a kid Andre had to face.

Agassi went into tennis off and on, he did drugs in the middle of that, he got away from tennis. Plus Agassi said he hated tennis at some point, but he found the way to love it, and in fact it was the period he suceeded the most. Watch Agassi on his last match at the Usopen, in fact all of his matches there that year and see how much love he was feeling at the moment.

Agassi goes away from the sport because of his phisical issues, otherwise he would have player for a couple of more years.

Serena comes in the hands of a strong family, with Venus probably being an inspiration to follow as well, she was never forced to quit anything, she lived a normal childhood. Richard also never allowed them to have the pressure of junior tennis or excessive media exposure.

They are cases apart from eachother.
Ducking bullets and picking up syringes off of tennis courts as a child is normal? :lol: Not for the typical American child.
Im sure Venus and Serena felt a lot of pressure, they were working largely to provide financial security for their family in the beginning.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I completely got it as well. I had played volleyball since I was 8 and when I was finished with my college career I was done. Did I miss it? Of Course I did. But for the most part I wanted a life outside of volleyball and felt much happier. Serena has played for a long time and she deserves to want to move on.

·
49,001 Posts
Do you believe that that's something that actually happened?
Whether those specific incidents happened or not, growing up in drug-infested, crime-infested, gang-ridden Compton in the mid to late 80s is not a normal (or even healthy) circumstance for most American children.

·
Registered
24,266 Posts
At the end of the day, who cares what Serena says? She's probably never said an insightful word in her life. Her fans and fans of tennis can appreciate her talent, but once we look into the things she says, there's really nothing there. Why bother criticizing?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts