Day Two

Pick : Sloane Stephens
BU : Carla Suarez Navarro

·
Premium Member
14,865 Posts
Re: Suicide Stuttgart

I completely agree.

I guess I was excluded from being on the "Board" for some reason, despite being one of the most dedicated players this game has ever had. I would have never voted for this new rule as it goes against the spirit of the game and the way it has always been played on TF.

I messaged Power Shot on SUNDAY AFTERNOON to tell him to open the thread for this tournament. It should have been opened in a timely manner with Monday's ONE MATCH for everyone to pick. But I'm not surprised Power Shot ruined this tournament because he is legendary at being a horrible manager.
You mean, at that time it was already known that Kasatkina vs. Rybarikova was a Monday match?
The OOP decides when the tournament starts. Last year it was Tuesday because Monday has to MD matches.
Since a few years RG starts at Sunday so we play sunday as well. Madrid changed a few times as well.

I'm not a fan of a suicide board to put people in charge. If the rules are just clear, the players can handle itself.
Now 1 member decided to be in charge and selected some people at his own. The players may say if this is a positive thing to the game or that we can better be without it.

I started the rankings 10 years ago. I admit that I should've done a much better job. I think this year it goes much better.
But all that time I still followed the rules.

In this tournament I have to do that as well whatever a managers decides. If all people can change rules in every tournament, then I'm done here.

·
Blighted and solo
43,980 Posts

You mean, at that time it was already known that Kasatkina vs. Rybarikova was a Monday match?
The OOP decides when the tournament starts. Last year it was Tuesday because Monday has to MD matches.
Since a few years RG starts at Sunday so we play sunday as well. Madrid changed a few times as well.

I'm not a fan of a suicide board to put people in charge. If the rules are just clear, the players can handle itself.
Now 1 member decided to be in charge and selected some people at his own. The players may say if this is a positive thing to the game or that we can better be without it.

I started the rankings 10 years ago. I admit that I should've done a much better job. I think this year it goes much better.
But all that time I still followed the rules.

In this tournament I have to do that as well whatever a managers decides. If all people can change rules in every tournament, then I'm done here.
Yes. I'm doing Istanbul this week so on Sunday when the Monday OOP came out I checked Stuttgart and Kasatkina vs Rybarikova was on the OOP for Monday. That's when I messaged Power Shot for him to start the thread. Last year they didn't play on Monday mostly because I think of the whole Sharapova fiasco. But in the past they have had 1 or 2 matches on Monday in Stuttgart I think. Regardless, some tournaments do change the schedule from year to year and that's why it's the manager's job to check these things and be on top of it. For TF Suicide we have always started on the first day there are MD matches, regardless of how many matches there are. They have different rules on MTF.

I think that a Suicide Board isn't a bad idea in theory because there are some things that should be put to a vote of ALL Suicide players. And this needs to be organized somehow. But tbh some people haven't shown that they are reliable or competent enough to be a part of that "board" regardless if they started it or not. :shrug:

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #84

The rules on MTF state that no matter how many matches are being played on Sunday, there is ALWAYS a Monday start.

You were messaged (as I previously mentioned to you) FIRST to join the Board like six months ago and I never got a reply.

Power Shot said:
As one of the most successful and important players in the game's history, I would like to formally invite you to the inaugural Suicide Board. I think you would add a lot and I have also gotten a commitment from CharlDa to join.
September 21st.

Several players NOT on the Board (Ceze, Buitenzorg, Ivobos and WhoAmI? by way of liking a post) agreed with the decision. Everyone would have lost except for those that had a BYE (and there are no BYES this week for fairness).

For the record, i'm not going anywhere as far as the Board goes. As well, you two could have messaged me instead of posting this on the thread. That is all.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #87

Just a reminder. In 2014 in Stuttgart they played just 1 MD match on day 1 (post #3) where one of the players ended up withdrawing, and later day 1 was cancelled. It was okay to cancel day 1 then, but not now? (and back then there would have been more survivals)

It should just be written down how it is, so everyone understands it the same. And if after day 1 it's game over for all, so be it.
Your first paragraph is what I was trying to point out all along. Thank you for posting this.

·
Premium Member
14,865 Posts

Just a reminder. In 2014 in Stuttgart they played just 1 MD match on day 1 (post #3) where one of the players ended up withdrawing, and later day 1 was cancelled. It was okay to cancel day 1 then, but not now? (and back then there would have been more survivals)

It should just be written down how it is, so everyone understands it the same. And if after day 1 it's game over for all, so be it.
That's exactly what I've posted in the rules thread.
So I added point 9 and 10. A withdrawal makes the match invalid. In this case the whole day is invalid, the tournament has 1 day less and we continue to the next day.

In 2014 there was 1 match so we started day 1 with 1 match.
That one got cancelled, but it didnt in 2018.
Kasatkina - Rybarikova is valid.
In these 4 years the rules didn't change. With the point 9 and 10 I didn't change the rules as well, only make it more clear.
So if there's something that's not clearly written in the rules, then let me know. I already thought everything was in there.
I only know the answers, not the questions.

·
Registered
48,726 Posts

What a poor management. Tuesday start. Oh crap there's play on Monday. Monday start. Oh people complain about it. You know what? Lets change the rules, Tuesday start because we need more than 1 match. The so called 'Board' decided this.
Whats the next step? Next week 1 wrong pick is allowed?

This is Suicide Tennis. All MD matches should count.
1 match is too difficult? Well, who said that this game should easy?
2 matches are enough? Or 3? What if there are 3 matches and 2 has a withdrawal? The day will be cancelled as well?

We did NOT complain about it, we were ONLY asking for fairness, to be quite honest MOST of us know the thread clearly said "Play starts TUESDAY!" :help:

·
Registered
29,724 Posts

Cancel this tournament :help:

·
Registered
7,923 Posts

I would prefer to play when there's only one match, but to be honest it doesn't make that much of a difference. What is more troubling to me is that play was said to start Tuesday, then switched to Monday, then back to Tuesday without enough time for the players to appropriately react at either change.

·
Registered
7,566 Posts

I totally agree with Sjoerd here, in that we should definitely play the days where only 1 match is scheduled (finals day everyone?). The decision here to cancel on Monday was ok in the end, but it should not become standard fare. Plus, I find it really fun to have to pick only a match for day 1, I mean, why should all tournaments be the same?

81 - 100 of 125 Posts