Tennis Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- Japan's Ai Sugiyama and Italy's Adriana Serra-Zanetti won their opening-round matches in the Kroger-St. Jude WTA tournament on Sunday.

Sugiyama, the No. 3 seed and highest seed playing Sunday, beat Japan's Saori Obata in straight sets 7-6 (6), 6-4.

Fifth-seeded Serra-Zanetti took an early 6-0 lead before scrambling to a 6-0, 3-6, 6-2 victory over 1999 Wimbledon semifinalist Mirjana Lucic of Croatia.

Marissa Irvin, the eighth seed, was the only seeded player eliminated, 6-4, 6-4 to Aniko Kapros.

Lucic said she hadn't played in seven or eight months because of injuries, and the rust showed, especially in the first set.

``She was missing a lot,'' Serra-Zanetti said of Lucic's early play. ``She wasn't on the court. Then, she tried to play better and served great, very hard.''

Serra-Zanetti, ranked 38th, said the turning point was in the third set when she broke Lucic in a long fourth game.

``I saw her, and she was not happy about it,'' Serra-Zanetti said. ``Then I held my serve, and I saw it was tough for her to come back. When the game was important, she was nervous and tight.''

This marks the first year for the women's tournament to be held in conjunction with the ATP tournament, which is in its 26th year. The men's draw was to begin Monday.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts