Tennis Forum banner

WTA Championships at the beginning of the season?

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why not kick off the new season with the best players, freshly rested, battling it out to see who can set the tone for the upcoming season?

Or, we can just have the dregs of injured, exhausted, wounded players playing in a tournament that isn't given the respect it merits.

Having the top-ranked players square off in a round robin should be considered just as prestigious as a major, not so much less. Part of the problem is that burnt out players after the major hype is done does not translate into more hype.

As for the YEC name... it was originally called WTA Championships. I do not believe it was played at year's end for quite a long time.

I also think this particular tournament could consider going back to best of 5 for the final only.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What I said in the other topic which is also relevant:

superstition said:
Serena is just hitting home why it should happen. You already answered your question yourself when you said the players are exhausted. You keep ignoring your own answer.

Player lobbying results in changes in sports, believe it or not. I think Serena is doing the right thing sending the message that the YEC just isn't working out as it currently is being done.

The question is ... will tennis listen or will they instead distract themselves by worrying about her as a person.

·
Registered
14,704 Posts
No, because they are rusty and some might tank for Australian Open.

Leave it the way it is

·
Registered
351 Posts
If it's at the beginning of the year, the best players will pull the plug on the season right after the US Open. I don't see Serena traveling to China to end her season at Beijing. :lol: At the end of the day, this will eventually shorten the season to January-September.

I think a much better fix involves altering the mandatory tournaments for top players. Maybe if you don't force them to play tournaments like Wuhan, they'll show up at Singapore more prepared. Just a thought.

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
Nope. Not fair to the top players who actually worked hard to get their spot for the whole year.
Stupid seriously. You dont hold the Final Exams at the beginning of the sem.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
The whole "the players are exhausted" thing is so exaggerated. There's been quality tennis played at the YEC for as long as I can remember, even in years when everyone expected a mess. Most years give us at least a couple of classic matches. Just because they go through the motions in Wuhan doesn't mean they can't dig deep at the YEC.

(Then they all go off around the world to play €xhibition$ all off season anyway, which is why you should never take players seriously when they whinge about exhaustion).

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, because they are rusty
It's worse to be fresh than it is to be burnt-out or injured — to the point of not playing at all?

and some might tank for Australian Open.
That's their choice. A player can tank any tournament, including by playing poorly at the end of the year when they're much more likely to have a reason to do so (because they're tired and the major hype has ended).

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope. Not fair to the top players who actually worked hard to get their spot for the whole year.
Stupid seriously. You dont hold the Final Exams at the beginning of the sem.
Honestly, what's stupid is your reply.

Obviously the rankings would apply at the beginning of the year. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it's at the beginning of the year, the best players will pull the plug on the season right after the US Open. I don't see Serena traveling to China to end her season at Beijing. :lol: At the end of the day, this will eventually shorten the season to January-September.
Push back the AO. The heat problem is already massive anyway. If that isn't a good idea then:

The whole calendar could be pushed back some. Or, you could move some plum tournaments back.

Finally, you could just push back the US Open. Is there a big reason why it needs to be held when it's held and not later? The heat problem could be lessened if it's held in the fall.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Players are tired, but it only seems to really effect the tournaments before... players who attend the YEC tend to give all they have left and usually results in better than expected matches.
How many top players are skipping the YEC because of injuries, fatigue, and not caring?

Why did the tour function OK when it was near the beginning of the season as it was in the past as far as I know?

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
I think you don't consider that players know it's the final event of the year and will give it all they can before a well-deserved rest, injured/exhausted or not...

·
Registered
11,730 Posts

I think a much better fix involves altering the mandatory tournaments for top players. Maybe if you don't force them to play tournaments like Wuhan, they'll show up at Singapore more prepared. Just a thought.
What needs to happen is get rid of the Asian swing. It's a flopass money hungry part of the year that no top players or fans are interested in after they've had a long year with injuries and exhaustion. Only the vultures like Radwanksa and Wozniacki are interested. The YEC needs to happen a couple of weeks after the US Open and errrrrbody goes on long ass vacation. Aint nobody got time for China.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
What needs to happen is get rid of the Asian swing. It's a flopass money hungry part of the year that no top players or fans are interested in after they've had a long year with injuries and exhaustion. Only the vultures like Radwanksa and Wozniacki are interested. The YEC needs to happen a couple of weeks after the US Open and errrrrbody goes on long ass vacation. Aint nobody got time for China.
You seem to be interested enough to be on a tennis message board during the Asian swing :shrug:

Lower-ranked players need the money, there's good tennis being played that plenty of fans are watching (albeit not in the stadiums). You're free to switch off if you're a casual fan who doesn't care.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you don't consider that players know it's the final event of the year and will give it all they can before a well-deserved rest, injured/exhausted or not...
But they wouldn't give it their all when they're rested and the event is positioned as setting the tone for the upcoming major hype?

If your assertion is so true, also... where is Serena?

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
superstition said:
Finally, you could just push back the US Open. Is there a big reason why it needs to be held when it's held and not later? The heat problem could be lessened if it's held in the fall.
thoughts on this?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Push back the AO. The heat problem is already massive anyway. If that isn't a good idea then:

The whole calendar could be pushed back some. Or, you could move some plum tournaments back.

Have the Asian Swing in January. Then, AO during the first 2 weeks of February. Doha/Dubai the last week of February and first week of March. Then, have the WTA Championships 3 weeks after the USO.

They should make the IW/Miami tournaments last 1 week each.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I hate Radwanska and Woz too and the mere thought of Suarez Navarro and Pliskova even playing at the YEC makes me puke, but I can't agree with cutting the Asian swing. There are other players besides the top 3. Cutting off the livelihood of the players in the bottom will eventually catch up with the players at the top, severely damaging the whole tour and women's tennis imo.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hate Radwanska and Woz too and the mere thought of Suarez Navarro and Pliskova even playing at the YEC makes me puke, but I can't agree with cutting the Asian swing. There are other players besides the top 3. Cutting off the livelihood of the players in the bottom will eventually catch up with the players at the top, severely damaging the whole tour and women's tennis imo.
Why not put the US Open in the fall and the Asian events before it?

Why do we need two majors with extreme heat problems? Is tennis supposed to be the equivalent of a Richard Bachman novella?

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
superstition said:
Why do we need two majors with extreme heat problems? Is tennis supposed to be the equivalent of a Richard Bachman novella?
"From 1972 to 1974, the event was held in October, before switching to...

March from 1975 until 1986."

:eek:h:

1 - 20 of 186 Posts