Tennis Forum banner

Suggestion for 2020: 4th Surface - Please vote!!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28,121 Posts
I would understand a new surface but combining Grass with Indoor tournaments is no sense :drink:
And that would destroy my spreadsheet :dance:

·
Registered
18,751 Posts
I would understand a new surface but combining Grass with Indoor tournaments is no sense :drink:
And that would destroy my spreadsheet :dance:
I don't get the love for a combined grass/indoor surface either as grass is the third choice for 90% of the players here. :shrug:

It is making the game unnecessarly complicated as it is sometimes hard to know which tournament is played indoors. And what about Stuttgart which is supposed to be on clay but is indoors? :confused:

Miranda won two indoor tournaments last season with Stuttgart and Luxembourg. Will these experience points be tranfered to the new combined surface? :confused:

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I totally get it - there are too many hard court tournaments and therefore more players with 115 points on hard, which then makes it tougher for newer players to make breakthroughs and then what happens is those newer players lose interest and yes we should always reward those long standing players but for the game to survive we need new players to play and stay.

At least the last two years at YEC had 7 of the 8 players on like 115 points! That’s tough.

I mean I have 115 points on hard from winning four titles in 2019! None of those tournaments were indoors!!!

I think we need to start at least trying some of these ideas or we will never know if they will work or not. We can always try it for a season and go back if it didn’t work. Change is good.

I would say the experience points stay on the surface the tournament was won on, so any points won last year on hard would remain on hard and not transfer to new combined surface.

Stuttgart is a strange one because it’s on clay but clearly on wta it doesn’t play like a standard clay court as Kerber has won it and Vandweghe hammered Halep there and even Brengle made the SF one year so I think we would need to vote to decide which surface points we’d use for that event.

·
Registered
18,751 Posts
I totally get it - there are too many hard court tournaments and therefore more players with 115 points on hard, which then makes it tougher for newer players to make breakthroughs and then what happens is those newer players lose interest and yes we should always reward those long standing players but for the game to survive we need new players to play and stay.

At least the last two years at YEC had 7 of the 8 players on like 115 points! That’s tough.

I mean I have 115 points on hard from winning four titles in 2019! None of those tournaments were indoors!!!

I think we need to start at least trying some of these ideas or we will never know if they will work or not. We can always try it for a season and go back if it didn’t work. Change is good.

I would say the experience points stay on the surface the tournament was won on, so any points won last year on hard would remain on hard and not transfer to new combined surface.

Stuttgart is a strange one because it’s on clay but clearly on wta it doesn’t play like a standard clay court as Kerber has won it and Vandweghe hammered Halep there and even Brengle made the SF one year so I think we would need to vote to decide which surface points we’d use for that event.
Sorry, but this is really not fair towards me or anybody else who won an indoor tournament last season.

If Stuttgart and Luxembourg are played on a new (combined) surface next season, the experience points should be tranfered to that new (combined) surface. Or we should leave it with current system.

This also has nothing to do with 115 points or whatever, it is simply not giving people points for what they have worked for last season.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts

Sorry, but this is really not fair towards me or anybody else who won an indoor tournament last season.

If Stuttgart and Luxembourg are played on a new (combined) surface next season, the experience points should be tranfered to that new (combined) surface. Or we should leave it with current system.

This also has nothing to do with 115 points or whatever, it is simply not giving people points for what they have worked for last season.
You wouldn’t be losing any experience points you’d still have them on clay for Stuttgart and hard for Luxembourg same for everyone else who won an indoor tournament so how’s it unfair?

·
Registered
18,751 Posts
You wouldn’t be losing any experience points you’d still have them on clay for Stuttgart and hard for Luxembourg same for everyone else who won an indoor tournament so how’s it unfair?
Hmm, I will just lose all indoor hard court points won in the past (three Lux titles and one St Petersburg title) as these points make no difference in my hard court cap of 115 points if they stay there or not.

By making tournaments play on a new/combined surface, the titles won last season should be considered as experience points on this new/combined surface and not on the past surface they were played on. (Grass/indoor expert). IMHO, you can't say that grass and indoors are treated the same on one hand and then not take into account past efforts on the other hand.

But of course it can't be that Miranda is having a little advantage on a new/combined surface due to being good at indoors in the past.

·
Registered
28,121 Posts
I believe the issue is that Clay and Grass experience points will be mostly used only in the next season. Hard bonus points are used in the same season, since we have it in two windows of the calendar (Australia+IW/Miami and them USA/Asia).

In my view It would be easier to split these points into Hard I and II than creating fake grass tournaments :eek:h:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts