3. Lindsay Davenport 3862
4. Martina Hingis 3839
5. Kim Clijsters 3698
6. Justine Henin 2786
7. Jelena Dokic 2780
8. Monica Seles 2749
9. Serena Williams 2594
10. Amelie Mauresmo 2391

I added 18th tournament for Kim, but not for Martina or Justine. That is because I expect Martina and Justine to gain more points than that, with Kim not playing.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If we make it 8 weeks:

1. Jennifer Capriati 4291
2. Venus Williams 3470
3. Lindsay Davenport 3350
4. Kim Clijsters 3215
5. Martina Hingis 3207
6. Justine Henin 2730
7. Jelena Dokic 2660
8. Monica Seles 2418
9. Amelie Mauresmo 2391
10. Serena Williams 2178

This time I went back and took off the 18th tournament I gave Kim before, just for consistencys sake. Obviously, this does not tell the whole story of what the rankings will be. Martina will certainly be ahead of Lindsay by this point (post-Ericsson), as will Kim if she plays at all, and possibly 1 or 2 others.

·
Registered
15,368 Posts
Wow, jennifer is save up there!!!
We could have a battle for the no.-2 spot (Hingis, Venus & Clijsters, if she plays)

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are the points if you subtract everything through Rome:

1. Jennifer Capriati 3596
2. Lindsay Davenport 3350
3. Venus Williams 3162
4. Kim Clijsters 3132
5. Martina Hingis 2500
6. Monica Seles 2418
7. Justine Henin 2361
8. Serena Williams 2178
9. Jelena Dokic 2051
10. Amelie Mauresmo 1191

These are the totals the players will be building off to determine their Roland Garros seedings.

Obviously, we begin to see the effects of Monica's midseason injury. All these other players are STILL carrying their RG and WI points. Lindsay continues to move up, which is a testament both to her outstanding 2001 finish, and to her disdain of all things Clay. She just might come out of this injury still in the top 8.

Amelie and Martina now begin to get dragged down by the masses of points they need to defend.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are the points if you subtract everything through Roland Garros:

1. Lindsay Davenport 3350
2. Venus Williams 3160
3. Jennifer Capriati 2646
4. Kim Clijsters 2620
5. Monica Seles 2417
6. Martina Hingis 2160
7. Serena Williams 2016
8. Justine Henin 2011
9. Jelena Dokic 1991
10. Amelie Mauresmo 1189

Now we see a wide open field.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Wow, I see how much an injury at this time last year could affect the rankings this year. I mean, Monica will definitely do some damage on clay, and Lindsay missed the French and other clay tourneys last year so she doesn't have much to defend on the clay.

How about subtracting points through the US OPEN? ;) Just kidding

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Venus is still in good postition to rise and rise. Although I just want her to remain healthy and continue playing well in tourneys.:) Serena though is still my pick to really rise on up.:)

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Subtracting through Wimbledon:

1. Lindsay Davenport 2637
2. Monica Seles 2417
3. Venus Williams 2254
4. Kim Clijsters 2243
5. Jennifer Capriati 2198
6. Martina Hingis 2158
7. Serena Williams 1776
8. Jelena Dokic 1745
9. Justine Henin 1179
10. Amelie Mauresmo 1125

Well, well, well.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
What a misguided dreamer. :rolleyes: :p

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
WOW, Venus would still be #3 after Wimbeldon? In my opinion if she plays some tourneys at the end of the season she will be in great shape. I really do think that the French Open is going to be the key for who will be in the top 5 at the end of the season. :)

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Addition and subtraction don't dream. They simply are. Get someone to teach the skills to you.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
This is very interesting. I didn't realize how good of shape Monica was in. She could/should be in the top 3 or at least really close to it, right after Wimbledon. Justine Henin and Amelie Mauresmo seem to be in a bit of trouble. I think that both of them have some points that are going to be pretty difficult to defend: Mauresmo's titles and Henin's Wimbledon final/French semi. I think based on this that even though Lindsay is not in terrible shape if she doesn't play for the whole clay court season, she will almost definitely be #7 or #8 or even lower, but I don't know with all the other injuries that might occur, she might not drop too far. As for Martina, her points look pretty difficult to defend through the French but after Wimbledon it all evens out, and with her current form, I think she should be able to sustain her position. I guess we won't really know though until we see who wins the French Open because that will change everything.

·
Momomental
8,576 Posts
I agree, Amelie has a LOT of points to defend! I hope she will play her best tennis and not let the pressure get to her.

Justine as well; what a feisty little player with a big game!

Best of luck to both in the upcoming months!!

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Indeed ptken. Every time a Slam is played, it causes massive waves throughout the rankings, usually in ways people did not anticipate.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
This is all well and good but what matters most is what tournaments the players are playing compared to last year. Venus has added an event in the next three weeks and if she wins Paris and Dubai will be #1 because Jennifer isn't playing, providing all the other top ranked players in the draws don't lose early and cost her bonus points.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
I'm noticing it's the same ten players.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't do numbers for everyone, Volcana. Someone not on this list probably has more points than Amelie from Rome to now. I have a feeling that these 10 players will be the top 10 after Wimbledon though, and they do have about 800 points on the field right now.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, destructo_girl, let me put it this way. Martina's point total after Wimbledon will be 2158+ whatever she earns between now and Wimbledon.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts