Tennis Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
they both are getting better in singles which is excellent, but their doubles results is a little bit dissapointing, Vivi lost another chance to become #1 by losing early in doubles this week. Vamos girls!!

·
Premium Member
172,296 Posts
Vivi has no chance of becoming #1 now at least for along long time if ever.

they won US OPEN last yr
then Bahia

·
Registered
64 Posts
I love how they complained about Venus and Serena havin the number one ranking at Wimbledon I believe, because Ruano and Virginie thought they were the best doubles team in the world, and got spanked in the third set. :lol: I remember one of the commentators saying, the reason the Williams are ranked number 1 is because when they play doubles, they win :worship:

·
Registered
197,293 Posts
Runningtennisguy said:
I love how they complained about Venus and Serena havin the number one ranking at Wimbledon I believe, because Ruano and Virginie thought they were the best doubles team in the world, and got spanked in the third set. :lol: I remember one of the commentators saying, the reason the Williams are ranked number 1 is because when they play doubles, they win :worship:
Think the Williams sisters won last years Wimbly final in two sets. I've hardly seen the both coming at the net. They were just standing behind. They shouldn't complain about the Williams sisters getting the first seed. One of the commentators saying was right.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Runningtennisguy said:
Actually they never suggested they were a better doubles team than the Williams sisters, they just felt that they should have the #1 seeding because they were the #1 ranked team in the world ... quite a reasable point of view as far as I can see. IMO, they had worked very hard to achieve the #1 ranking, whereas the Williams sisters don't bother to play enough tournaments to obtain the ranking, therefore, they shouldn't have it. The seedings, IMO, are about rewarding the players who have put in the work to achieve the rankings. But I am NOT getting into THIS arguement again!

BTW, they are Virginia Ruano Pascual and Paola Suárez, not "Ruano and Virginie". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
To answer the actual thread, I don't think Vivi can get to #1 any time soon, but so long as she and Paola continue to play well, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to get back to the top next year when they are defending less points and Kim and Ai have to defend their RG and Wimbledon titles. It's not like Vivi and Paola have really had that bad a year, it's just we've come to expect so much from them! In the main their losses have come to the top teams in the latter stages of tournaments. This weeks loss was a bit disappointing, but I would guess tiredness played a factor as both had been involved in long matches earlier in the day and Vivi had only come off the court from her narrow three set loss to Petrova an hour or so before the start of the doubles.

They are still one of the three best teams in the world, (along with Kim and Ai and Lisa and Lindsay), so I see no reason why they won't have another chance to be at the top....though as I said on a previous thread whether they're ranked #1 or #101 it makes no difference to my support for them! :p

·
Registered
593 Posts
I was totoally shocked to see that they lost to Morariu/Dokic 6-3, 6-4. They are still an awesome doubles team though. Very close to the best in the world...so, they have that.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Caz said:
To answer the actual thread, I don't think Vivi can get to #1 any time soon, but so long as she and Paola continue to play well, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to get back to the top next year when they are defending less points and Kim and Ai have to defend their RG and Wimbledon titles. It's not like Vivi and Paola have really had that bad a year, it's just we've come to expect so much from them! In the main their losses have come to the top teams in the latter stages of tournaments. This weeks loss was a bit disappointing, but I would guess tiredness played a factor as both had been involved in long matches earlier in the day and Vivi had only come off the court from her narrow three set loss to Petrova an hour or so before the start of the doubles.

They are still one of the three best teams in the world, (along with Kim and Ai and Lisa and Lindsay), so I see no reason why they won't have another chance to be at the top....though as I said on a previous thread whether they're ranked #1 or #101 it makes no difference to my support for them! :p
The best team is Williams-Williams! Do u really think that any of those crappy teams could have beaten a healthy Serena and Venus at Wimbledon?! Only reason they lost was because of the schedule: playing three-sets of doubles after they both played three-sets in singles.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
bandabou said:
The best team is Williams-Williams! Do u really think that any of those crappy teams could have beaten a healthy Serena and Venus at Wimbledon?! Only reason they lost was because of the schedule: playing three-sets of doubles after they both played three-sets in singles.
Woah, talk about ignorant.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
bandabou said:

To clarify, regardless of whether or not the other top teams ccould beat them, (I really have no idea whether or not the other top teams could learn to beat them if they played as a regular team), I discount the Williams sisters as a top team simply because they don't play enough tournaments for me to regard them as a 'team'. They've played what? Two tournaments this year?!? Of course they are the team to beat when they play, but they don't do that very often. Who's to say when or even if they will enter another tournament, so they can hardly be regarded as one of the current best doubles teams in the world, not in my mind at least.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Venus and Serena almost lost to Morariu/Stubbs in Wimbledon. So, I wouldn't go being that sure of yourself. Venus and Serena are very close to the best, but I wouldn't steal the respect these girls deserve from them.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Caz - Didn't they lose early last week, too? They haven't been in a final in weeks now (in singles or doubles), so I don't see being tired as an excuse.

And while the Williams sisters are clearly a great doubles team, they are hardly unbeatable. They lose every 4th tournament or so. If they played more regularly, their record wouldn't seem as impressive...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.