Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 139 Posts

·
Premium Member
39,305 Posts
1) Calling Svitolina a power player isn't necessarily laughable. Technically, she doesn't place the ball and hits flat. It's no more stupid than calling her a pusher.

2) Kerber doesn't have a huge weapon? Well, that's totally debatable, to me her forehand is a weapon.

3) Shriver thinks Kerber might have frozen under the atmosphere of the roof? That's not impossible.

So this thread is about sporting an inane common sense that works against you?

·
Registered
19,689 Posts
During the Sharapova v. Halep match yesterday, Chris Evert called Svitolina a power player. Twice. Grouped her with Muguruza.
the problem is it might appear that way when she plays Halep, Kerber or Wozniacki. See how she fares when she plays Sharapova.

·
Registered
19,689 Posts
Is it possible Pam didn't hear? she's often courtside and the transmission isn't perfect.
while the attribution may be farfetched, it's clear Kerber isn't handling the pressure well this season. So she's partly right :p

·
Registered
15,066 Posts
no man, last year she had impecable defense, great reliable lefty serve and a smart fhdtl... such a short term memory :lol:
thats because people dont see great defense as a weapon when it really is. If you take out the great defense from players like kerber, caro and simona....then they are not even top 50

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
while the attribution may be farfetched, it's clear Kerber isn't handling the pressure well this season. So she's partly right :p
Maybe it's just me but I noticed that the sound is different in the main stadium now, it's almost like a auditorium, perhaps that affected her :shrug:

my favorite Pam moment is when she asked Oudin's sister if she could spell believe. :haha:
Did she really say that? :eek: Was she drunk? :drink: Why would she ask her that?! :scratch:

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Usually I listen to Cantonese (my home language) commentating matches.

They just love to say many players are very powerful, generate a lot of pace in their shots, and can blow their opponents off. For example: Svitolina, Halep, Kerber and sometime Wozniacki. I mean seriously, do they know tennis? In my eyes, only Serena, Kvitova, Keys and Pliskova can be in this category. Even Muguruza and Sharapova doesn't have that kind of fire power now.

Another example is they (including English) always say Maria Sharapova has the greatest mentality, I agree when she is in behind, but when she is leading, you can almost for sure she will lose the service game she is serving for the set/match for the 1st time, and always neglect her vulnerability in service faults :facepalm:

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
"I wonder if her dad said to her when she was 12, listen, you're not gonna be a looker, you're not gonna be a Sharapova"

Besides being sexist and all - this is very stupid cuz there wasn't a Sharapova when Bartoli was 12.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Tennisstar86 said:
my favorite Pam moment is when she asked Oudin's sisters if she could spell believe.
Did she really say that? :eek: Was she drunk? :drink: Why would she ask her that?! :scratch:
In 2009 Melanie had a run to the USO QFs as an unseeded 17 year old. She beat four better known and higher ranked Russians, including Sharapova and world #4 Dementieva, each time by losing the first set and coming back to win in three. As an American making such an unexpected run, a lot of buzz and hype was generated at the time. Part of it was the "BELIEVE" slogan, which the Oudin family, coach, etc. all had stamped in large letters on their T-shirts (Melanie herself closed her retirement announcement this year with the word "Believe").

So before the QF started, Pam interviewed Melanie's little sister (around 12, I think) in the player's box and said something to the effect "I am sure you can spell BELIEVE for me", probably thinking she was giving an easy opportunity to the girl, since it had been on her shirt and her family's shirts all these days. Her sister spelled it B-E-L-E-I-V-E causing quite an awkward moment in the stadium.

·
Registered
700 Posts
On the ATP side, I heard "Coric has a big FH" the other day I think.

·
👑 не дум&#10
44,726 Posts
Chris Evert and Cliff Drysdale were discussing how Kerber had such a good year last year but why now she has slipt. Evert basically said it's both physical and mental, and then Drysdale asked Shriver for her opinion....she waited a second and said..."I think it's a very different feeling to play with the roof being closed. There's so many more people watching this match because all the other courts have stopped play..."

:spit: :eek: :weirdo:

Any idiot could say that Nathanael :silly:

·
👑 не дум&#10
44,726 Posts
In 2009 Her sister spelled it B-E-L-E-I-V-E causing quite an awkward moment in the stadium.
No. The awkward moment was when Pam replied "Close enough" and ran off

Then later another awkward moment with the "your next opponent is "Wick-meyer"

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
In 2009 Melanie had a run to the USO QFs as an unseeded 17 year old. She beat four better known and higher ranked Russians, including Sharapova and world #4 Dementieva, each time by losing the first set and coming back to win in three. As an American making such an unexpected run, a lot of buzz and hype was generated at the time. Part of it was the "BELIEVE" slogan, which the Oudin family, coach, etc. all had stamped in large letters on their T-shirts (Melanie herself closed her retirement announcement this year with the word "Believe").

So before the QF started, Pam interviewed Melanie's little sister (around 12, I think) in the player's box and said something to the effect "I am sure you can spell BELIEVE for me", probably thinking she was giving an easy opportunity to the girl, since it had been on her shirt and her family's shirts all these days. Her sister spelled it B-E-L-E-I-V-E causing quite an awkward moment in the stadium.
to be fair. I think the girl was younger than 12. but it was cringe-worthy for sure. :lol:

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
"I wonder if her dad said to her when she was 12, listen, you're not gonna be a looker, you're not gonna be a Sharapova"

Besides being sexist and all - this is very stupid cuz there wasn't a Sharapova when Bartoli was 12.
That was said by John Inverdale from the UK, everyone hates him including lots of British Athletes. He is an idiot and a woman hater. There have been calls for him to be sacked time and time again but it never happens! :mad:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Usually I listen to Cantonese (my home language) commentating matches.

They just love to say many players are very powerful, generate a lot of pace in their shots, and can blow their opponents off. For example: Svitolina, Halep, Kerber and sometime Wozniacki. I mean seriously, do they know tennis? In my eyes, only Serena, Kvitova, Keys and Pliskova can be in this category. Even Muguruza and Sharapova doesn't have that kind of fire power now.

Another example is they (including English) always say Maria Sharapova has the greatest mentality, I agree when she is in behind, but when she is leading, you can almost for sure she will lose the service game she is serving for the set/match for the 1st time, and always neglect her vulnerability in service faults :facepalm:
The only player with more firepower than Maria is Serena. Those two are in a class all by themselves

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
The only player with more firepower than Maria is Serena. Those two are in a class all by themselves
false. Maria doesnt serve that fast and she doesnt have that big a ground game. I wouldnt even put her in the top five. Theres several players that have more firepower than her and even serena. The girl who just destroyed the defending champion (osaka) hits harder than both of them.

·
Registered
407 Posts
oh, I also heard an American commentator during Sloane's 1st round match, saying she was named among the best players not to win a title there.

21 - 40 of 139 Posts