Tennis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you gonna do with your life? Are you studying or goofing off? Are you planning what you're gonna do after college? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I get so tired of it! :( I mean I'm scared as hell about my future and stuff but why does everyone have to harp on it? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :(

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know the feeling Internet Lover! I'm in the exact same place. I'm in the last semester of my senior year of college. I hate my major, so I'm not going to do anything with it, nor am I going to grad school as I had planned. I'm scared to death, but we'll make it! Keep the faith!

·
Banned
692 Posts
U americnas a question. Is college like university after high school. Is it compulsory???? Coz here in newzealand most people drop outta schoola at 15

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,468 Posts
I hear the same stuff often aswell, I realize it's frustrating at times because you feel added pressure, but I think it's important to do things at your own pace, not necessarily at the pace everyone else is going at. What's the rush to jump into College or University? Particularly if you really don't know what you want to do. I myself haven't a clue, and it used to bother me a lot until I realized that I don't need to know right now, and that I think I'll feel a whole lot better in the long run waiting until I know what I want to do with myself rather than jumping into something and regretting it later on. Education and learning have no age limits so don't feel like it's the absolute end of the world if you don't have some life map planned out for you - You never know what's going to happen anyway!

·
14,092 Posts
i totally agree with u randy h...i dropped out of school d other year because i don't like my course...and in dat free time that i had, i learned to play tennis and i met a lot of ppl...and i realized how much i've been missing in life...academics is a real bore compare to what happen to d real world...i'm back at school but to tell u truth my parents pressured me to study again...i like my course but i don't know if i want to have a career on it...i don't even like my current school...i wish i'd taken more time to think abt this...don't make d same mistake dat i did....:D

:wavey:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
randy_h..I understand what you are saying, but it's much better to start directly with uni or another school after high school, then wait a year or longer to start. Then you are still used to studying you know, you have all the basic knowledge to start a higher education. When you wait a year, then you have forgotten a lot, you don't have the feeling to study anymore, and it will be much harder to start again. Only people who are really selfdetermined will succeed. The older you get the more difficult it is to study...

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I am 25 and start to study next year(okee I did before but that didn`t went well because of personal reasons) I think I am more ready for it now then I was 4 years ago, but I am still scared but try not to pressure myself and just try to do my best and work hard.

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
My brother started working after he got his bachelor degree, but he wasn't happy in any of his jobs. For all the jobs the truly interested him, a higher degree was required. So he went back to college. It was very tough since he hadn't studied in such a long time, but he made. Now he has the job of his dreams.

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
i disagree randy.....i mean , year one is mostly core subjects fo r most degrees u have TIME on ur hands...if not , do a degree which u can do many different majors such as Arts or something...

just try to enjoy it and look at it as fun and a challenge , rather than a mundane task...its good to stay busy , most of what u learn in uni isnt used unless ur doing a law or medicine degree etc, but it does teach you alot of qualities which employers would like...and which will benefit u further down the track!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I'm in Year 12 at the moment, thats college for us Aussies, and I think its high school for the Americans. And in ACT, we don't have the HSC, we have the college system plus the AST. (The Aussies know what I'm talking about, don't you?)

Its a whole big complicated deal, with our courses and our scores and testing. Well, it is, to me. :confused: I think everyone else understands it all.

So I'm at the point where my scores mean A LOT, and depending on my score, is what course I can do at uni.

Now, I know I'm going to go, but I still have no idea what I want to study. Everyone around me knows what they're aiming for, what score they need to get into the course they want. I'm stuck.

Teachers are always on about how I need to be deciding my future. What I want to do. They keep telling us we need to study harder, not to let anything distract us.

Some of my friends say they can't study, because they need to work. Teacher says, "you don't NEED to work, you CHOOSE to work."

Question: Do you agree with this?
Should students just concentrate on studying, because things like income should be taken care of by someone else? Or should they compromise their results, having to take over some of these duties imparted on them by parents?

Okay, this is a little OT, but its kind of related.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Linton, the American school system usually goes as follows.

We start Kindergarten around 5 years old. Then we proceed through grades 1-12, usually graduating from high school around 18 years old. Next (if one chooses to go) is college, or university as I've heard it referred to on this board. College usually entails 4 years of undergrad studies. At that point many people graduate and go find jobs. Others go on to get a higher degree like a Master's or Doctorate.

Hope this cleared things up for you!

·
Registered
19,356 Posts
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

*talking to my advisor*

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
Its totally diferent in the UK We start our first year in school at 3! and have meithrin and dosbarth derbyn(Basically you play in school and do a little math and reading!) these are not compulsory but most kids do this.Then we go from year 1-6 in primary school followed by year 7-11 in high school You do your GCSE's in year 11 age 16 and then you can leave!
If you want to continue you have to do a-levels!But now you do 1 year of AS followed by a second year for a full a-level.With you a-levels you go to uni for around 3/4 years 6 for a doctor like i wnat to do!:eek:

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Yeah I'm sorta tired of hearing it and I'm become a little exhausted of studying for the past 17 years but I guess we should appreciate the fact that gaining knowledge is so important and makes us better people and is something that many of our parents never had.

Also 1st yr at univ. what I wouldn't give to back there!!!:)

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,468 Posts
I guess it just varies by the person, definetly can understand a few other points raised -

Some people do struggle when they come back after taking breaks away from school, but I think in the long run, how well you study or keep up with studies at any level matters on how much you really want to, not whether you are capable of handling it or not. And as far as forgetting things you may have learned before, most things usually either stick with you or they don't. If it didn't stick with you before you took a break, than chances are it's not going to stick in your head all that well either, so you are going to be required to maybe study some things more than other things.

I think you should concern yourself with being happy with what's around you first though. If you find yourself going into College or University, then you should do it for the right reasons. Do it because you want to be there, you know there are things you definetly would like to get into there, and that way you can take something from it and hopefully not go back to square one after year 1 realizing that all that effort you put in now means nothing because you hate what you were going to major in.

That doesn't mean I think you should just sit around doing nothing, but I think there's nothing wrong with taking a year or two off if it's necessary. Some people just take longer to find out what's right for them, and I think that as long as you are staying productive with things while you're not in school, your work ethic probably won't change much once you are there anyway.

I do agree on one point that Steve made though, at least on the good side, College or University can be a great chance to find out what you want aswell, in a first year because there is still opportunity to change your mind. Just make sure to think things carefully before you make your decisions :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yay! Lotsa replies! Thanks and I think what you guys said is all true depending on the person.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts