Tennis Forum banner

Which YEC Top 20 Is Best?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this year isn't over yet, but you can probably guess the handful of players who would be battling it out for the final spots anyway.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
2012, 2013, 2014, 2016 if I remember correctly.

I voted for 2012 because it had some great matches and everyone was in good form then.

The draw had only 3 slamless players (Aga, Angie and Errani), one of whom would eventually be a 3x slam winner, and the two who would remain slamless players were slam finalists already by that point.

Serena was peaking in the second half of that season and had only lost 5 matches to all 7 players combined (2x Sharapova, 1x Azarenka, 1x Kerber, 1x Li).

Sharapova was in good form that season.

Azarenka was in the form of her life in 2012.

Li was near her top form around that time too (I don't recall her exact peak).

Petra wasn't necessarily at her peak but she was a threat.

Aga was definitely at or near her peak.

So was Errani.

Angie was a few years away from her peak but she was on the way up.

That event gave us one of the several Vika vs. Angie classics (match of the year maybe?).

TBH those YECs that Serena couldn't be bothered playing were boring and always felt empty/pointless.

Also I feel that the YEC needs dramatic players like Vika, Serena and even Sharapova to liven them up. More so even than slams. YECs can be pretty boring if the matches are lifeless since there are so few matches, so we really appreciate players who bring the drama.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
2014 was my personal favorite, of these... Even though Genie was a complete non factor tennis wise, still was able to bring some show to the show...

Halep, Woz, Sharapova, Serena, Ivanovic, Radwanska, Kvitova...

That iconic photo in the waiting room, (surely someone can link)...

Also the first year in Singapore, and the atmosphere was cool...

·
Registered
That Woman
4,653 Posts
Real quick, is the OP asking what is the best year end top 20, or what is the best YEC lineup?

2014 was my personal favorite, of these... Even though Genie was a complete non factor tennis wise, still was able to bring some show to the show...
2014 has the best 7/8, IMHO, but the year that brought us the phrase "Full Bouchard" cannot be the best YEC line up.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
The 2014 event was so iconic that the WTA still used its promo pictures up to 3 years after the fact (it probably had a little to do with laziness to be fair)

·
Registered
8,696 Posts
LOL that 2014 pic, yes! Someone has to have that.

Honestly can't vote without seeing the pics, can't remember them too well. Seems like the YEC is often anticlimactic these days.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
8,696 Posts
2014 WTA finals was iconic! :eek:h:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!
Genie and Maria :SNE: so good.
Petra and Simona the only 2 actually chatting, though it looks like Caro and Serena might be liking each others' instagrams of smth LOL. Classic.

·
Registered
115,555 Posts
Nothing compares to 2004, but this decade, 2014 had the best match Wozniacki/Serena in a SF

·
Registered
862 Posts
Nothing beats the staples center or MSG YECs, the energy was amazing, the battles were brutal, and now you have these asian YECS where nobody really wants to win because they rather leave the continent asap.

Reactions: PLP

·
it's just me against the music.
27,349 Posts
2012-2013 was a re-emergence of the WTA of the late 1990s. Serena, Azarenka and Sharapova running game and all playing well (of course Serena providing some tattoos). I do not like how the ATP is dominated by a handful but it is central to the tour and the game that a few do well consistently. Right now, the WTA doesn't have that.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Tbh, it's been pretty boring since the demise of Sharapova and Azarenka...

As good as the likes of Svitolina, Kerber, Muguruza, Stephens, Cibulkova etc are, they just don't have that star quality.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts