Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the strength and weakness of each player?

Maria stunned me by how hard she hit the ball. She is in fantastic shape, but her forehand worries me a bit in that she seems to have the Venus thing going on sometimes where she doesn't seem to setup well enough for the topspin motion. Though she doesn't move quite as well as Serena, she definitely can move well enough to stay in a match with her.

Also, Maria's serve, especially the second one, is going to have to be much better as Serena's returns are probably the best in the game.

As far as Serena is concerned, I'm wondering just how she is going to approach this match. She doesn't have Venus ushering her through to the title, and her own game still has kinks in it. That Mauresmo match must have been the most physically draining match for her in about 2 years.

Any weakness that Serena has may very well start in her head. Against Maursesmo, she obviously had a game plan established, but she had difficulty with Plan B. Though Maria doesn't have the finesse in her arsenal yet, she can get quite a few balls back and cause Serena to error. Though not as vulnerable as Maria's, Serena's forehand seems to fall short from time to time, and the nerves will cause her to hit it long. It will be interesting to see how Serena acts if Maria keeps this match close into the closing parts of the set. Serena's fragile emotional state could propel her to the victory, but it could also be her downfall.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Maria's weakness is covering cross court shots. I noticed in her match yesteday she didn't cover those shots well. Serena's weakness is at the net.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Maria's biggest weakness is her net game, Serena's is her Unforced Errors.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Strengths: Maria

Serve
Backhand cross-court
Forehand(when confindent)
Attitude & Hunger

Strengths: Serena

Serve
Movement
Returns
Backhand
All-court game(multi-dimensional)
Experience
Hunger
Forehand(when confindent with the shot)

Weaknesses: Maria

Movement
One-dimensional
Forehand(at times)
Inexperience
Lack of Strategy
Net Play

Weaknesses: Serena

Forehand(at times)
Net play(except for yesterday)
Erraticness
Physical Conditioning?(Thursday's match)

First of all, what Maria was able to do to Lindsay isn't always going to happen to Serena. Lindsay's movement was suspect and Maria hit a lot of winners that wouldn't be winners against Serena. Also, if Maria had problems with Lindsay's serve, beware of Serena's. Serena is a much quicker, more athletic, stronger, and more determined Lindsay Davenport. If Maria almost lost to Lindsay, she might be in trouble with Serena. Maria can't try and hit with Serena out there. It isn't going to work. If Maria can serve well, get the open court and hit winners all day, she'll win. Maria can defiently win this match, but I think that it is still up to Serena. I hope and pray that Serena wins but if Maria does I wouldn't be surprised!

·
Adrenaline junkie
22,960 Posts
Pureracket said:
What is the strength and weakness of each player?

Maria stunned me by how hard she hit the ball. She is in fantastic shape, but her forehand worries me a bit in that she seems to have the Venus thing going on sometimes where she doesn't seem to setup well enough for the topspin motion.
The problem has similar roots. Bad footwork. Bad Footwork is Venus's trademark. Has always been so. Masha reportedly grew 4 inches in last 12-18 monthes. Her footwork must be at its worst now, it is difficult to adjust to such a change in your body quickly. For one, when I was 14, I played a forward in football. Then I grew from 5.8 to 6'1 within one year, and my speed was gone. I never played a forward again.

Though she doesn't move quite as well as Serena, she definitely can move well enough to stay in a match with her.
I agree.

Also, Maria's serve, especially the second one, is going to have to be much better as Serena's returns are probably the best in the game.
That's an exaggeration. Serena's return is all special effects. She can hit blistering winners, but she is likely to miss as many and probably more. Apatr from psychological affect ( scaring opponent, causing her double fault ), Serena's return is generally not a high percentage play. Especially on grass.

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
Serena
strengths:
serve
return
movement
will to win
backhand

weakness:
forehand can go off sometimes, but if it is on...wow.
sometimes struggles to close things out.

Maria

strength:
serve
backhand

weakness:
return, girl has absolutely no idea..and against Serena that might be her doom.
movement, her lateral movement is weak and she´s a bit clumsy.

I think if Serena can keep her serving performance of the last couple of days she should win....don´t worry too much about Maria´s serve, because there hasn´t been a serve yet that Serena couldn´t handle.

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
bandabou said:
Serena
strengths:
serve
return
movement
will to win
backhand

weakness:
forehand can go off sometimes, but if it is on...wow.
sometimes struggles to close things out.

Maria

strength:
serve
backhand

weakness:
return, girl has absolutely no idea..and against Serena that might be her doom.
movement, her lateral movement is weak and she´s a bit clumsy.

I think if Serena can keep her serving performance of the last couple of days she should win....don´t worry too much about Maria´s serve, because there hasn´t been a serve yet that Serena couldn´t handle.
So Maria has no will to win? Nonsense.

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ys,
Who has a better return than Serena's?

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
eddyday said:
So Maria has no will to win? Nonsense.

I forgot that one...thanks.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Pureracket said:
Ys,
Yeah Who?

If I recall correctly, Serena hit a return of Serve on Amelie for a Winner - that caused matchpoint.

Certainly Amelie was shaken by such a powerful return.

·
Adrenaline junkie
22,960 Posts
Pureracket said:
Ys,
Kim, Elena D., Jennifer. Anastasia.

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ys,
Well, I'm not arguing, but Kimmie and JenCap are both very weak off of the backhand return. Myskina is solid from both wings, and so is Elena D. There you might have an argument. Of the four you've mentioned, Myskina's return is probably the best. Even still, I'm not sure that she has the flexibility and the power ability that Serena can generate even when stretched out wide.

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
Well...imagine if Elena D couldn´t return, then she would really have NO hope because she can´t serve and that´s for sure.

That´s the thing of a good returner: people respect Serena´s return sooo much that she just forces the df. NO ONE is better at forcing df´s than Serena.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts