Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34,198 Posts
I saw the third set and #FlyWithCaro looked very good. Some of those rallies were peak ballbashing from both, and she saved several break points. Can anyone who watched explain what happened until 3-6, 1-3, and how did she turn it around??? Won nine games in a row at one point :yeah:.

I have been saying this for weeks, but I think her form has been very good lately (except in Rome) so I expect her to win the title here and potentially have a good run at Roland Garros. Paquet is a dream semifinal draw, but the final could be very difficult.

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
That was a fun match and a good comeback from Caro who I think was just a bit caught aback by how good Kostyuk was playing at first. :) Her level is WELL above her ranking, and a lot of their rallies in the 2nd and 3rd sets were pretty explosive with pace and angles.

Don’t know if I loved that particular coaching session where Kostyuk was sobbing loudly and uncontrollably and her coach was telling her 100 different tactical things mixed in with dismissive comments like “I don’t want to hear any emotional stuff” and “Can you hear me? Fight like a lion”...

·
Registered
423 Posts
I saw the third set and #FlyWithCaro looked very good. Some of those rallies were peak ballbashing from both, and she saved several break points. Can anyone who watched explain what happened until 3-6, 1-3, and how did she turn it around??? Won nine games in a row at one point :yeah:.

I have been saying this for weeks, but I think her form has been very good lately (except in Rome) so I expect her to win the title here and potentially have a good run at Roland Garros. Paquet is a dream semifinal draw, but the final could be very difficult.
I watched. Marta was doing fine while Caroline was playing bad. The later was making a lot of errors and was literally in tears during her coaching session in second set (trailing 1-3). But after that it was a totally different Garcia. Cut down on errors, and her shots started hitting. She should clearly cry more, I remember it also helping her mentally reset herself in some other match. After that Kostyuk tried to up her game to match Caroline's game and take more risks but it just wasn't working, which got into her head and errors started to build up. The overall conclusion: peak Garcia > peak Kostyuk at the moment.

·
Registered
423 Posts
That was a fun match and a good comeback from Caro who I think was just a bit caught aback by how good Kostyuk was playing at first. :) Her level is WELL above her ranking, and a lot of their rallies in the 2nd and 3rd sets were pretty explosive with pace and angles.

Don’t know if I loved that particular coaching session where Kostyuk was sobbing loudly and uncontrollably and her coach was telling her 100 different tactical things mixed in with dismissive comments like “I don’t want to hear any emotional stuff” and “Can you hear me? Fight like a lion”...
I agree, quite insensitive of him, especially given he is deeling with a teenager. I also can't help but feel he is trying to push her into playing a style of tennis too aggressive for her. I'm really bad at this stuff though so... don't know really.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts