Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
23,636 Posts
while posting results, I have realized that I was culturally insensitive by calling Strasbourg Bagel City, when it should obviously be Baguette city, I deeply apologize

·
Registered
9,821 Posts
Marteena :( congrats Anastasia

Marteena/ Annette..... Just can't seem to get a working strategy for us yet :(

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
“Urgh! Tough day at the office!” said Josephine Tyler-Malone after losing in three sets in the singles and doubles quarterfinals in Strasbourg “...but I’m happy I got some great match play ahead of Roland Garros” added the World No.5 “I love Paris! and I can’t wait to be back in the city and to play on those courts again”.

·
Milk and honey
3,402 Posts
Oh my god, I finally won a singles quarterfinal! 😂 looking forward to my first ever semifinal tomorrow! Should be a good one @soojung, our match in Madrid was a treat :) sorry to both opponents who I beat so far, both matches looked tight, especially the QF today against Casanova! Fitting that my first singles semi comes in France given I am half French :)

Jumping Japanese Kitahara Seals Strasbourg Semifinal In Stunner

Yukika | Discography | Discogs

Strasbourg, France (AP) - After taking out Jenny DeBloque yesterday afternoon in a messy, hard fought opening round match, Yukika "Kiko" Kitahara came through again today to down third seed Jennifer Casanova in a triple-tiebreak thriller. The quarterfinal, which lasted 3 and half hours, saw many lead changes and swings in momentum as each player traded their very best strokes, to the delight of the French crowd. The Japanese started strong, but choked a 5-1 lead as young Casanova started to find her serve and deploy great variety. During the first set breaker, Kitahara didn't falter once on her own delivery, and took the first point against serve on set point at 6-5 to seal it. Set 2 was an affair of servebotting with neither player facing even a break point, but 8 games going to deuce. The tiebreak was won by Casanova who saved 4 match points to take the tiebreak 8-6 from 6-2 down. In the third, Kitahara trailed 0-3, 2-5,15-40 down two match points and 5-6 0-30, but somehow found the strength to find her way into another tiebreak where again she blew a 6-4 lead before ultimately finishing the deal with a trademark forehand down the line. She sank to her knees in disbelief, as well as utter exhaustion, as the crowd roared, having witnessed a classic. For Kitahara, it is her first semifinal in what is her fifth event, after three prior quarterfinal appearances in Stuttgart, Prague and Madrid. We got her thoughts after one of the biggest rollercoaster matches the tour has seen in years.

Q: Wow, Yukika. I am tired just from watching that match. How do you feel, to make your first semifinal appearance on the tour in that style?

Yukika: Honestly, I have no idea! (takes hands away from head). Exhausted! (Laughs). That was really the craziest match in my career thus far. Every time I was down and out I came back, but every time I thought I had the match I continued to blow it. After a tight first round yesterday in which I played a horrible second set but adjusted well to the wind overall, I felt good going into today, which is why it was tough to play my best tennis yet get stretched to a 3.5 hour match. I guess that's just testament to how good Jennifer can be on clay, and how good she was today. To get this kind of win over a peaking player, especially under extreme pressure and in my fourth quarterfinal, with a 0-3 record in quaterfinals thus far heading into today, makes this win even more special. To celebrate, I had a croissant....well...two, and a hot chocolate. I love being in France, it's probably my favourite country in the world and it has really motivated me this week. I can't wait to be in Paris next week for the French Open too, my first major as a pro. 💕

Q: Next up: Soojung Park. She's a very classy, formidable player, and she took you out in a close one in the Madrid quarterfinals, the biggest match in your career so far. How do you feel about the rematch, and how much have you got left in the tank?

Yukika: Wow, I'm playing Soojung next? That's great. I've already become good friends with her, she's a lovely girl and so graceful out there, she's really a role model for me on the court and for all Asian athletes given we don't have much representation on the tour. I'm really looking forward to playing against her again as our last match was so high quality. Overall, I am happy with where my game is at this week and I think in both of my wins against Jen and Jennifer, it has only given me increased and renewed confidence after a bumpy week last week. I've had plenty of time to prepare for this week due to the earlier exit from Rome. I don't feel much pressure going into it because I finally cracked my quarterfinal curse and I have nothing to lose tomorrow playing such a great competitor. As for how I feel physically, I couldn't be any more motivated, so I'll be ready. (Smiles) Of course I'd love to make my first final though, that would mean a lot to me and I would be very honoured. The crowd this week have been fantastic and I don't want this journey to end! 🌺

·
Registered
23,636 Posts

BAGUETTE CITY RESULTS
Singles R1

Soo-Jung Park def (1) Fleri Hingisafrilia 7-6(4) 6-3
Oksana Mikhailova def Sienna Campbell 6-7(4) 7-6(4) 7-6(5)
Yukika Kitahara def Jenny DeBloque 6-2 0-6 6-4
(3) Jennifer Casanova def Yi Sun 6-1 0-6 6-4

(4) Josephine Tyler-Malone
def Ariana Salvatore 0-6 6-1 7-5
Sannie Carlson def Kathleen Pryde-Degman 7-6(2) 0-6 6-0
Sabine Graf def Bingjie Li 6-4 7-5
(2) Maria Abdiakova def Zivka Zabokrecina 7-5 4-6 7-6(0)

Singles QF

Soo-Jung Park def Oksana Mikhailova 6-4 7-5
Yukika Kitahara def (3) Jennifer Casanova 7-6(5) 6-7(6) 7-6(6)

Sannie Carlson def (4) Josephine Tyler-Malone
6-2 1-6 7-5
Sabine Graf def (2) Maria Abdiakova 6-3 7-5

Singles SF

Yukika Kitahara def Soo-Jung Park 6-3 0-6 6-2
Sannie Carlson def Sabine Graf 7-6(5) 2-6 6-1

RABAT RESULTS

Main Draw

Ericely Xuchini def (1) Miranda Frost 6-2 7-6(0)
(3) Anastasia Nemayeva def Martina Huubere 3-6 6-4 6-4

Isidora Islewood def (4) Piper Elliot 2-6 7-5 6-4
Ginger Moon def (2) Bianka Harlow 7-5 1-6 6-3

Rabat SF

Ericely Xuchini def (3) Anastasia Nemayeva 6-4 7-5
Ginger Moon def Isidora Islewood 6-2 0-6 6-4

·
Registered
23,636 Posts

BAGUETTE CITY RESULTS
(1) Graf/Hingisafrilia def BYE 0-6 6-0 6-0
Kitahara/Salvatore def (4) Li/Sun 6-4 6-3

(3) Abdiakova/Park
def Mikhailova/Zabokrecina 6-3 1-6 6-4
Campbell/Pryde-Degman def (2) Casanova/Tyler-Malone 6-4 3-6 7-5

Semifinal results

Kitahara/Salvator def (1) Graf/Hingisafrilia 6-3 7-5
(3) Abdiakova/Park def Campbell/Pryde-Degman 7-6(0) 5-7 7-6(5)

RABAT RESULTS

Main Draw

(1) Harlow/Nemayeva
def BYE 6-7 7-6 7-6
Jugic-Salkic/Ovechkina def (4) Islewood/Reinga 6-4 2-6 6-4

(3) Frost/Perez def
Huubere/Karklina 6-4 7-6(1)
(2) Carebear/Elliot def Anwar/Xuchini 7-5 6-3

Semifinal results

Jugic-Salkic/Ovechkina def (1) Harlow/Nemayeva 6-2 1-6 7-6(5)
(3) Frost/Perez def (2)Carebear/Elliot 3-6 6-4 7-6(0)[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
23,636 Posts
Ginger Moon continues her run of great form on the clay :eek: SF-SF-F !

·
Milk and honey
3,402 Posts
Wow! Finals in both, and my first final in singles so far! 🥰😍😋😊 Bad luck @soojung, some revenge for me after Madrid. I wish you the best of luck at Roland Garros :D sorry to Graf and Hingisafrilia too, you guys are the dominant team so I hope you don't mind us having the chance to win a 250 at your expense ;) @bud887 let's get that first title legend! 🌸

Finals Galore For Kitahara as Sensational Strasbourg Run Continues

Strasbourg, France (AP) - After outclassing Jennifer Casanova in a three set, triple tiebreak three hour thriller, Yukika Kitahara is at it again, edging past Soojung Park in a wonderful, high quality clash. In a back and forth semifinal on the centre court here in Strasbourg, the two Asian darlings of the tour traded ultra-powered groundstrokes, all whilst trying to out-manoeuvre each other from the back of the court, side to side. The first set saw Kitahara being aggressive from the off, jumping into a 4-0 lead before being pegged back to 4-3, as Park found her range and rhythm in the French-German border. Not to be deterred, Kitahara struck back with carefully crafted returns and timely net rushing to put the South Korean under pressure, and restore her break advantage, before calmly serving the set out to 15. The second set saw the second bagel this week received for Yukika, as like in round 1 she failed to capitalise on her lead and drew a blank, as her opponent classily grew in confidence, gracefully hitting the lines and using an array of differing strokes to fully settle the Japanese-woman. In set 3 though, Kitahara produced arguably her best tennis of the week so far, in reeling off four straight games from 2-2 in the final set, including saving break points at 4-2, and numerous game points from Soojung throughout the set. Kitahara finished the classic with a pin point forehand inside out return winner off a laser-like first delivery from Park. It is Kitahara's first singles final so far, which made a very successful day when combined with her doubles semifinal win earlier today, making it two finals on the week and back to back doubles finals for the Japanese after the Rome doubles final last weekend. We sat down with the rising star earlier to gather her immediate feelings after such a great win.

Q: Congratulations, Yukika! A first singles final for you on the tour, which was one of your goals. How do you feel?

Yukika: Oh, just wonderful (smiles). I knew today would be a real test, as Soojung posed the biggest threat to me so far this week. She's been in brilliant form these past few weeks and she's such a difficult player for me to play as we both play such similar games, each knowing what the other will bring to the court on match day. Overall, I feel extremely happy to have come through today and reach my first final. In comparison to the match in Madrid, where I felt I slightly petered away at the end and allowed Soojung to really put her foot down on me, this time I made sure to stay ahead on my own service games, as it would free up my own pressure on the return games. The second set was a bit messy to say the least but I started and finished the best playing my very best tennis, which is a huge positive for me and something I'm really proud of. To beat such a classy player like Soojung, especially on clay, is a massive confidence boosting win for me and I feel like it is the perfect match to tune me up another level to reach that top gear in Paris, where every girl will be bringing their best. 💕

Q: You're playing Sannie Carlson in the final. What are your thoughts about that match, and the idea that all of a sudden you are just one match win away from your first title on tour in just your fifth event? Any pressure?

Yukika: I am so excited, honestly. I know a lot about Sannie as she's been on the tour for quite a while now, and I've seen her a few times on the TV. It's a similar situation for me as my very first match on the tour a month ago against Hingisafrilia, in that it's a player I know enough about, but haven't yet actually played, and the experience of playing someone for the first time, no matter how much you think you know their game, is always different from what you originally expected - I took that much from my debut match and win on the tour against Fleri. As for pressure, the crowning jewel of the tour herself Billie Jean King once said that "pressure is a privilege", and I try to tell myself that diamonds are made under pressure. I know I'll be nervous at first out there, but so long as I embrace it and use it as a helpful tool rather than a harmful one, I'm confident that I can put myself in the best position to compete, and hopefully win, the title here in Strasbourg.

I'll be ready. 🌺

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ginger Moon into 1st Final; More Delusional than Ever

"I'm the French Open favorite," Ginger Moon yelled at the three reporters covering her semifinal win over Isidora Islewood. "Who's going to beat me?" Ginger asked, clearly ignoring the multiple times she has lost in the past several weeks.
When asked about what happened during the second set, where a superior Islewood bageled Moon, Ginger ignored the question, instead standing on the table to model her new tennis outfit.
"The heels help me slide better and make a great tactical weapon should anyone try to get handsy," Ginger announced, preceding to then hurl a shoe at an unsuspecting reporter, narrowly missing his head. "See, look how effective that can be."
Ginger then gingerly limped to her shoe, giving one last look to the reporters before walking out without a word.
While Ginger may be a favorite for the Roland Garros crown, this reported believes she is more likely to be the favorite to be admitted.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Wow! Finals in both, and my first final in singles so far! 🥰😍😋😊 Bad luck @soojung, some revenge for me after Madrid. I wish you the best of luck at Roland Garros :D sorry to Graf and Hingisafrilia too, you guys are the dominant team so I hope you don't mind us having the chance to win a 250 at your expense ;) @bud887 let's get that first title legend! 🌸

Finals Galore For Kitahara as Sensational Strasbourg Run Continues

View attachment 176370

Strasbourg, France (AP) - After outclassing Jennifer Casanova in a three set, triple tiebreak three hour thriller, Yukika Kitahara is at it again, edging past Soojung Park in a wonderful, high quality clash. In a back and forth semifinal on the centre court here in Strasbourg, the two Asian darlings of the tour traded ultra-powered groundstrokes, all whilst trying to out-manoeuvre each other from the back of the court, side to side. The first set saw Kitahara being aggressive from the off, jumping into a 4-0 lead before being pegged back to 4-3, as Park found her range and rhythm in the French-German border. Not to be deterred, Kitahara struck back with carefully crafted returns and timely net rushing to put the South Korean under pressure, and restore her break advantage, before calmly serving the set out to 15. The second set saw the second bagel this week received for Yukika, as like in round 1 she failed to capitalise on her lead and drew a blank, as her opponent classily grew in confidence, gracefully hitting the lines and using an array of differing strokes to fully settle the Japanese-woman. In set 3 though, Kitahara produced arguably her best tennis of the week so far, in reeling off four straight games from 2-2 in the final set, including saving break points at 4-2, and numerous game points from Soojung throughout the set. Kitahara finished the classic with a pin point forehand inside out return winner off a laser-like first delivery from Park. It is Kitahara's first singles final so far, which made a very successful day when combined with her doubles semifinal win earlier today, making it two finals on the week and back to back doubles finals for the Japanese after the Rome doubles final last weekend. We sat down with the rising star earlier to gather her immediate feelings after such a great win.

Q: Congratulations, Yukika! A first singles final for you on the tour, which was one of your goals. How do you feel?

Yukika: Oh, just wonderful (smiles). I knew today would be a real test, as Soojung posed the biggest threat to me so far this week. She's been in brilliant form these past few weeks and she's such a difficult player for me to play as we both play such similar games, each knowing what the other will bring to the court on match day. Overall, I feel extremely happy to have come through today and reach my first final. In comparison to the match in Madrid, where I felt I slightly petered away at the end and allowed Soojung to really put her foot down on me, this time I made sure to stay ahead on my own service games, as it would free up my own pressure on the return games. The second set was a bit messy to say the least but I started and finished the best playing my very best tennis, which is a huge positive for me and something I'm really proud of. To beat such a classy player like Soojung, especially on clay, is a massive confidence boosting win for me and I feel like it is the perfect match to tune me up another level to reach that top gear in Paris, where every girl will be bringing their best. 💕

Q: You're playing Sannie Carlson in the final. What are your thoughts about that match, and the idea that all of a sudden you are just one match win away from your first title on tour in just your fifth event? Any pressure?

Yukika: I am so excited, honestly. I know a lot about Sannie as she's been on the tour for quite a while now, and I've seen her a few times on the TV. It's a similar situation for me as my very first match on the tour a month ago against Hingisafrilia, in that it's a player I know enough about, but haven't yet actually played, and the experience of playing someone for the first time, no matter how much you think you know their game, is always different from what you originally expected - I took that much from my debut match and win on the tour against Fleri. As for pressure, the crowning jewel of the tour herself Billie Jean King once said that "pressure is a privilege", and I try to tell myself that diamonds are made under pressure. I know I'll be nervous at first out there, but so long as I embrace it and use it as a helpful tool rather than a harmful one, I'm confident that I can put myself in the best position to compete, and hopefully win, the title here in Strasbourg.

I'll be ready. 🌺
Yes girl, let's do it. Good luck in singles! 🙌

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Ginger Moon into 1st Final; More Delusional than Ever
View attachment 176394

"I'm the French Open favorite," Ginger Moon yelled at the three reporters covering her semifinal win over Isidora Islewood. "Who's going to beat me?" Ginger asked, clearly ignoring the multiple times she has lost in the past several weeks.
When asked about what happened during the second set, where a superior Islewood bageled Moon, Ginger ignored the question, instead standing on the table to model her new tennis outfit.
"The heels help me slide better and make a great tactical weapon should anyone try to get handsy," Ginger announced, preceding to then hurl a shoe at an unsuspecting reporter, narrowly missing his head. "See, look how effective that can be."
Ginger then gingerly limped to her shoe, giving one last look to the reporters before walking out without a word.
While Ginger may be a favorite for the Roland Garros crown, this reported believes she is more likely to be the favorite to be admitted.
You're my new favorite player, I'll even root against Flopayla if we draw each other :love:

61 - 80 of 87 Posts