Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has there been any other woman in history who has been more conveniently placed to get to be no. 1, not once but twice? Will there be a third time? Or will she ever actually overtake a healthy no.1? And before you guys bash me, I'd like to say I'm a Jencap fan too!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Currently, it's not only Jennifer that's poised to overtake number 1, but Venus as well. In fact, considering Jennifer would have to win Oz again just to maintain her ground, Venus may be the one to overtake the ailing Lindsay.

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
Well, Venus does have semifinal points to defend. That won't exactly be easy. Think about a bloodthirsty Henin, a motivated Monica, and an emerging Serena.

Also, I would imagine that the other players have a few tricks up their sleeves as well. Francesca, Daja, and Kim, and Babs could also spoil some dreams if given a chance.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Oh, I'm not suggesting that Venus (or anyone for that matter) has a clear path to number 1 and/or the Oz title. I just don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Jennifer is the next number 1.

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
Actually, Jennifer WILL be the next #1 as of this coming Monday. Whether or not she holds if after the Australian Open remains to be seen. With a nice showing this week and at least semifinals at the OZ, I think she could hold on to it.

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
That's a bit of a strange fact to post - it's a bit like saying that Arantxa Sanchez Vicario and Martina Hingis only got to no.1 because Steffi Graf was injured.

The fact remains that JenCap has the points to be no.1 and so personally I think she's earned it.

Of course, she's going to have to work even harder to keep it.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
But wait Kart, Arantxa and Martina <i> did </i> only get to #1 because Steffi was....

only kidding! ;)

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
OK, I guess it IS a foregone conclusion that Jennifer is the next number 1. Holding onto it is another story.

With a healthy Lindsay (hopefully), and Venus's new commitment to an increased schedule, this could actually be a pretty exciting year with the number 1 bouncing between a few players.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Jennifer was only ten points behind Lindsay and had second round points to defend at Sydney, while Lindsay was defending finalist, so even if Lindsay had played Jennifer was more than likely to get to #1.

She also was well poised to take over from Hingis anyway, even if Hingis had not got injured.

It is just unfortunate timing for her both times! She put in the work, won two Grand Slams and reached the semis of the other two, so she deserves the ranking, as does Venus when she gets there soon.

It is just part of the game that players are injured on and off throughout the year.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
As much as I love Jenn (Which I do) I don't see her or any other player holding onto the number one seed, and pulling away. Nor do I see any player really dominating the season like lets say Martina did in 1997. What I do see is a battle for the top 5. Both Jennifer and Venus have 2 slams each to defend, a dauting task, and if they fail to do well, we could see Martina ranked back at number one. Or Lindsay. Or Serena. Or any of the talented top ten! Only time will tell! It should be interesting! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts