Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
39,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Martin vs. Ginepri the featured match for tomorrow night, followed by a doubles match?

Roddick, ok... Blake, uh, ok.... Agassi, well, sure.... but MARTIN VS. GINEPRI?!?!?! Who gives a shit that they're from the United States, this is insane!

I don't care that people may want to see them, this is just stupid and xenophobic. These players are barely in the top 100, and have done NOTHING to deserve being put in the night match. I *love* Robby Ginepri, but having him on the night match on center court instead of Ferrero or Lleyton is just STUPID.

This really pisses me off.

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
48,281 Posts
Hewitt's had one + is not playing well this summer.
Martin = fan favorite, loves night matches, is USA...possibly last US Open.
Ginepri = young up and comer with a steady summer.

This is a generational match.
But, yes seeing Federer or Ferero would be nice. But I'll take what I'm given.

·
Banned
5,055 Posts
Don't all countries but their players on Center Court??? Just like in France the french players get to play on Chatrier, big deal.

Hewitt already got a match at night. But yeah, I guess the better choice would have been Ferrero vs Chela, but that match is at the end of the day so probably people with night session tickets will be able to watch that match if they want to.

·
39,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ferrero vs. Chela will be a good match, probably. Hopefully Ferrero will win the tournament and they will have no choice but to show him.... muahahahahaha....

In any case, I think people just watch tennis in the US, they probably don't know who Ginepri is. Even the casual tennis fans I know like players like Ferrero and Hewitt and Federer. There's a whole group of friends I have here that are Guga fanatics. I think that the US Open and USA Networks are making assumptions that Americans prefer to see nobody citizens than somebody foreigners.

·
Registered
27,777 Posts
Dr. Scotso said:
Martin vs. Ginepri the featured match for tomorrow night, followed by a doubles match?

Roddick, ok... Blake, uh, ok.... Agassi, well, sure.... but MARTIN VS. GINEPRI?!?!?! Who gives a shit that they're from the United States, this is insane!

I don't care that people may want to see them, this is just stupid and xenophobic. These players are barely in the top 100, and have done NOTHING to deserve being put in the night match. I *love* Robby Ginepri, but having him on the night match on center court instead of Ferrero or Lleyton is just STUPID.

This really pisses me off.
Ferrero will absolutely never get the respect he deserves in the USA. That's just how it is. Even if he wins there someday, he will still be slighted. Again and again. He may very well have been on to something with his rant at Rome 2002...

·
Registered
27,777 Posts
Dr. Scotso said:
Talk about xenophobia :rolleyes:
It's not xenophobia in php's case, it's complete and total idiocy. This is the same poster who called everybody in the top 5 except Roddick "over rated" - um, despite the fact that the top three hold slams :lol: php also thinks that Roddick is more talented than Agassi :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
5,055 Posts
Dr. Scotso said:
Ferrero vs. Chela will be a good match, probably. Hopefully Ferrero will win the tournament and they will have no choice but to show him.... muahahahahaha....
Yes he will win, by beating Alberto Martin in the final.

I just don't buy the xenophobic accusations... I mean the people who make schedules are businessmen who want to make money, that's all. If they put Ferrero on smaller court it's because they think he won't attrack enough people, not because he's from Spain. If there was 3 Kournikova-Barbie from Spain they would always be on the big courts.

·
Registered
27,777 Posts
DA BACKHAND said:
Yes he will win, by beating Alberto Martin in the final.

I just don't buy the xenophobic accusations... I mean the people who make schedules are businessmen who want to make money, that's all. If they put Ferrero on smaller court it's because they think he won't attrack enough people, not because he's from Spain. If there was 3 Kournikova-Barbie from Spain they would always be on the big courts.
Oh? Then why was Maria Sanchez Lorenzo on court 6? ;)

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
martin has done very well in the past and ginepri is a very good up and comer. and they are both american. i actually don't mind watching ginepri but i hate watching martin.

·
Chionophile
40,211 Posts
Queen Rebecca said:
It's hard to do it for fans who never see you... thus, many of whom have never heard of you.
You gotta admit Ferrero's claycourt style of game isn't much liked in the states. They prefer the risk takers like Agassi and Roddick. That maybe one factor working against him even if they see him.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
DA BACKHAND said:
Maria is not Barbie enough ;)
you mean not American enough.

Seriously, how does the US Open expect Americans to watch matches between non-Americans when the people never even have the opportunity to hear names other than Roddick and Agassi on TV, let alone watch a full match of without either of the aforementioned (and those other 'sons of America') involved?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.