Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monica,Serena,Venus,AnnaK,AnneK,Babsi Schwartz,Asa Carlsson, Angeles Montolio,Marlene Weingärtner,Tatiana Panova,Sung Hsieh, Kveta Hrdlickova-Peschke,Angeles Montalvo,Mariana Diaz-Oliva,Natasha Zvereva

We´ve a number of players out for definetly a long time, others -who are top10 players- withdraw and nobody knows for sure if it´s a one-tournament-kind of injury or if this takes longer.

So is there a chance to share infos, maybe from local press, when players are going to return or if the injury led to retirement thoughts ?

- Monica: is she still in for Canada and US Open ??
- Serena: is she in for LA and US Open ?
- Venus: is she in for Canada, NewHaven and US Open ?
- AnnaK: not playing till after US Open

- AsaCarlsson: what´s her status ?
- Kveta Peschke: 2nd longtime-injury it seems. Any news ?
- Babsi Schwartz: was scheduled to return in August ?
- Diaz and Angeles Montalvo: what´s their status ?
- Natasha Zvereva: is she retired or resting maybe till 2004 ? ;)

- Panova: not returning before 2004 ?
- AnneKremer: not returning before 2004 ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
part 1 :
anna plays to bad to show it in public :devil: but she is hot :hearts:
the williamsen : Jihaa, good for the Belgian rankings :bounce:
Seles : i hope she plays, i love her

part 2 : Who are these players ? Never heard of them,
last years. if they doesn't play soon, they will be
too old to play :D

part 3 : almost to place in part 2 :D

Reactions: pan

·
Premium Member
182,449 Posts
Natasha has retired for good
she says its "no fun" anymore

she tried it out last yr but didn't enjoy it.

she's gonna be sadly missed.

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
Babsi Schwartz is "if", not when". Anne perhaps this fall. There's an "x factor" now re. players with chronic injuries: the '04 Olympics. (I personally think that's the only thing that will keep even active players like Babsi Schett and Anna Pistolesi, for example, from retiring after the '03 season).

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Jana Kandarr???

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Also Panova, where is she COME BACK TATIANA!

·
26,989 Posts
Yes, I think Jana Kandarr has retired. :(

She's now down to 291 in the ranks and she won't go down to challenger level. She would have been in for Wimbledon qualies but didn't play, so I guess that was it. She said she wanted to begin with a new profession anyway (I forgot which one, medicine or something) and that she wasn't very interested in tennis anymore, so ...

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,857 Posts
I know Anne (Kremer) would love to play another Olympics but I have my doubts. She hasn't played since the Australian Open - 6 months out is a lot for a wrist injury. Plus she will soon be 28. I would be surprised (but delighted) if she ever returned to the tour.

·
SMUstang,
8,482 Posts
TheBoiledEgg said:
Natasha has retired for good
she says its "no fun" anymore

she tried it out last yr but didn't enjoy it.

she's gonna be sadly missed.
This is sad :sad: but I dunno what else I expected. Where did you hear about it?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn´t know about Zvereva

Kandarr is sort of retired as psoted here (studying)

What I don´t understand is the Pistolesi-thing, Anna finally made it in 2002, I doubt her retiring. I think you mixed Kremer and Pistolesi.

Kremer I think is coming back as well as Schwartz. Schwartz has a game that should give most of the top30 the hell of trouble. But the Austrian example of Sylvia Plischke showed what injury-problems can do to a promising youngster. She retired early.

·
Registered
39,486 Posts
Is any of these players officially retired: Catalina Cristea, Amelie Cocheteux, Dawn Buth, Pavlina Nola, Elena Wagner, Andrea Glass, Sandra Cacic, Yvette Basting, Amanda Hopmans, Holly Parkinson, Fang Li, Laurence Courtois, Erika De Lone,

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think Li is retired same as Hopmans (2 weeks ago) and Cristea. Wagner retired last year.

I think Glass is retired too, I believe that 2nd class German players don´t officially announce retirement, same as Kandarr didn´t do so but seems retired.

Cacic made a comeback on the tour earlier this year but seems to struggle again.

DeLone announced retirement earlier this year or at the end of last year but I saw her name in a challenger draw last week maybe she kind of returned on a semi-pro-level just for USTA events.

I wonder if anyone is into Schwartz- and Hrdlickova-Peschke-news in here ?!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Amazing that Zvereva could be allowed to retire so quietly. She was an amazing player and should never have let her career end in such a quiet way. She deserved a big send-off. She will be missed.

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
ChrisGermany said:
DeLone announced retirement earlier this year or at the end of last year but I saw her name in a challenger draw last week maybe she kind of returned on a semi-pro-level just for USTA events.

I saw her name in a double draw this week ;) ($10.000 in yhe US I think)

Yvette Basting: Retired, Yes
Laurence Courtois: She did retire last year, but played doubles with Maes somewhere....she is pregnant now...

Jana :sad: :kiss:

·
Registered
39,486 Posts
thank you for clarification

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think if you look at Martina Navratilova´s return I doubt Tasha Zvereva did retire for good. I think she´s one of those players that could return for doubles in 6-8 events a year next year if you look at girls like Pat Tarabini and Caroline Vis still doing it. I think she maybe struggled to find a partner it´s fun to play with and starting all over.

·
Premium Member
182,449 Posts
Natasha was at Wimbledon this yr
and worked quite a bit for BBC Radio as a summariser
she explained why she gave up

agree she should have gotten a great send off

1 - 20 of 28 Posts