17,877 Posts
WHOA NOW!

is Alex injured!

yay for paw points! :D

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Knizzle said:
Retire my ass, she just didn't want to lose a whole match to a fourteen year old!!
As much as I like Alex,
I have to agree!

She needs a better coach?
May be Richard?

·
Premium Member
172,292 Posts
Vika ;) well done Vika :D :D

way to go "pip squeak" ;)

now for Ai :)

go get her kiddo

·
Registered
16,898 Posts
Alex has had a shoulder problem. But congrats to Viktorya! :D I guess size didn't matter in this match. And twenty two year old Alex might have been traumatized at the prospect of losing to a 14 year old girl playing her second WTA Tour match. :eek:

·
Registered
122,496 Posts
I saw pictures of Vika. She looks so slight.
Her body is going to fill out a lot.
Vika has some future.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
the cat said:
Alex has had a shoulder problem. But congrats to Viktorya! :D I guess size didn't matter in this match. And twenty two year old Alex might have been traumatized at the prospect of losing to a 14 year old girl playing her second WTA Tour match. :eek:
I think you're right. I know Alex's shoulder problem is legit, but she wouldn't retire if she were up 6-3 3-3. She just didn't want to face the inevitable. If you look at Alex's record in 2001, she retired in so many matches, probably more than 1/2 the ones she was losing in. This is why I can't stand the girl...

·
Registered
16,898 Posts
Good point Bradhaw1.

And Viktorya reminds me alot of Maria Sharapova when she was 14. As skinny as can be, but can hit the heck out of the ball.

Alex really needs to dig deep to make something of her career. She's middle aged for women's tennis, and shows no signs of improving. And the young players are having no problem beating her. If Sharapova had gotten hold of Alex today the score would have been even worse! :eek:

And I don't like how Krasnoroutskaya used an excuse after Vika beat her. :( And I'm sure Stevenson will do the same. If they were not fit to play they shouldn't have. This is not a grand slam tournament. They shouldn't have played if they were ailing. But Vika made them feel even worse! ;)

Here's to hoping Viktorya has the same aggresive attitude and hunger to win that Maria Sharapova has! :clap2:

·
Registered
278 Posts
As much as Alex has been stinking up the joint with her play...someone of you need to give it a break...if she hadnt pulled out of last weeks tournament with an injury then this thread of "supposed excuses" would have some relevance :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I can actually understand Lina's excuse. I'm not justifying it, but it is embarassing for a seasoned pro to lose to a 14yo playing in only her third professional tourney and her first one on the WTA. People made excuses when they lost to a 14yo Hingis as well. Hingis beat then #8 seed Maggie Malleva at the 95 US Open and here was Maggie's comment after the match.

Reporter: Well you said her serve isn't that good and she doesn't have much power, so how did she win? How did the #8 seed lose to a 14 year old?

MM: Because the #8 seed didn't play well.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Give alex a break- she was at 3-3 all in the 2nd set-that scoreline doesn't state her loos was inevitable- maybe she was really injured and coupled with the fact that she withdrew last week from san diego with injury i think it was legit....

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
well bruised ego was alex's undoing ;) :p :laughoutloud:

·
In my new place!!
22,957 Posts
She lost the first set 3-6 and was tied 3 all in the second and we should cut her a break because of that??? Maybe the injury but...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.