1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stevenson Not Happy With King
April 30, 2003
By ROBERTO GONZALEZ, Courant Staff Writer

NEW HAVEN -- Alexandra Stevenson was all smiles, hitting tennis balls with New Haven elementary and middle school kids Tuesday at the Pilot Pen Free Tennis Lesson.

Stevenson, who last week committed to play in the Pilot Pen Aug. 15-23, donated her time to teach children the basics.

But after the lesson, Stevenson used her time with the media to slam U.S. Fed Cup captain Billie Jean King for not letting her and Meghann Shaughnessy play doubles in a first-round tie against the Czech Republic last weekend.

The U.S. team advanced with a 5-0 victory in the best-of-five competition Saturday and Sunday in Lowell, Mass. Serena and Venus Williams each played two singles matches and teamed for the doubles match.

"I was very disappointed I didn't play," Stevenson said. "I understood why the Williams sisters played all four singles. They came to play singles. But the doubles, I think [King] should've put us in. I don't think it was fair to Meghann and I, because it wasn't really a team effort."

Stevenson, ranked 26th in the world, was on the Fed Cup team for the first time. Shaughnessy, ranked No. 19, was with the team for the third time.

"Being my rookie year I wanted to be on the court to play doubles," Stevenson said. "I think Venus and Serena wanted us to play, too. Billie Jean made her decision and you can't change the captain's decision."

King was asked Sunday why she put the Williams sisters back on the court after building a 4-0 lead.

"They wanted to play," King said. "When your No. 1 and 2 players want to play, they play. They asked. They earned the right. It's that simple. That's what the fans wanted, don't you think?"

Stevenson, who wasn't at the interview session Sunday, disagreed. She said Tuesday she sensed fans wanted to see her and Shaughnessy play.

Stevenson said not playing put a damper on her first Fed Cup.

"I think it did in the end," Stevenson said. "Because the whole week everything was team, team, team and we had a great time. But when it got to the last day, it didn't seem like a team. It was hard to sit out there and think of it as a team."

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
Alex is right!!!!!!!!!

It will keep the players motivated if they can play..they love to play for their country and for their fans. The USA was already leading 4-0..Alex and Meghann should have played the doubles.

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
I know everyone there would rather see Alex playing than V&S... yuh hup.

The poor girl really is delusional.

·
Registered
956 Posts
While I would love to see the Sisters play every match ALL the time, I too have questioned why BJK went with the Sisters AFTER the outcome of the series has been assured. I have read where BJK said it was the Sisters' decision to play ALL the matches. Now I'm beginning to wonder about that.

·
41,227 Posts
calabar said:
While I would love to see the Sisters play every match ALL the time, I too have questioned why BJK went with the Sisters AFTER the outcome of the series has been assured. I have read where BJK said it was the Sisters' decision to play ALL the matches. Now I'm beginning to wonder about that.
Isn't it up to King to decide who plays?? not to the sisters?

If King wants a team, they have to play like a team too.

·
2,109 Posts
calabar said:
I thought I read somewhere .... Serena saying pretty much the same thing....ie playing doubles for the fans.

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
If the #1 and #2 players in the world, who earned their spot on the team say they want to play... they play. End of story.

Not some underachieving 30th ranked dumbass who runs her mouth all the time like a 5-year-old malcontent.

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
I love it! Alex has kept her mouth shut for way too long. I am glad she is back. Alex and Jelena need to open up more often, it keeps it interesting. And you know what, a lot of the time, they are not totally wrong in what they are saying.

Given how many American women are ahead of her in the rankings, she seems a little disresectful, she should be happy just to be there. But it is a "team" and with that lead, she should have been able to play doubles. I am sure the crowd was tennis fans and wanted to see at least some Meghann and Alex.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
Stevenson should have asked people in Tsongas Arena who they wanted to see playing doubles... No disrespect to her or Meg, but the majority would probably say Williams. In fact, many people (inlcuding myself and my friend) came on Sun to see V&S playing DOUBLES.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I have to agree with Alex on this one. Variety is good, and you don't want to have half your team travel to the site and practice for a week just to sit on the bench as alternates.

If Alex had gone as an alternate to begin with (understood beforehand), she would have no right to complain. But I would feel very slighted in her place.

By the time the doubles played, the U.S. already had the victory. King should have let Meghann and her play.

·
Registered
991 Posts
lol @ Alex :)

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
What Alex said was not even bad. Honestly, she was chose her words well. She felt disappointed, not pissed off.

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
Here we go again...... I cant say I cant see where she's coming from, but you also cant come bitching about it after the decison was made and you FRONTED like you were cool with it... I mean she could have said that to BJK and maybe she would have changed her decison, but Im doubting she brought that up when the team was talking about who would play the doubles.. thats just my take.

·
Registered
956 Posts
This issue cuts both ways. I can certainly understand the argument that from the fans perspective going with the two most popular (and talented) players was a no-brainer. And if BJK made that statement then fine with me. On the other hand, she seem to be suggesting that it was V&S' call (and not hers) on who should have played the last 2 matches. Ultimately, the final call MUST be made by the head coach, and if I were that coach, I would have gone with Alex and Meghan for the doubles for the sake of TEAM UNITY.

my 2 cents

·
Senior Member,
2,918 Posts
looks like alex has waved goodbye to future selection. rule number one: billie jean king is beyond criticism. question her authority and you're out.

there's no rule number two.

·
Veelieve!!!
32,535 Posts
I see Alex's point, but making it public won't get her another invitation anytime soon waaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!! Meanwhile she should be happy she was a part of the team-- after all Lisa "lawsuit" Raymond is a much better doubles player and ranked higher than her too :eek:

1 - 20 of 211 Posts