Tennis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stevenson hopes to kick it up a notch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Alexandra Stevenson seemed to be enjoying her rookie appearance on the Fed Cup team even though she expected to be a bench warmer.

"I'm enjoying it immensely," she said. "It's just such a fun team to be on and it's been a great week. It's really exciting to have it in the United States my first time."

Stevenson splashed on to the tennis scene as a qualifier at Wimbledon in 1999 but since then she's struggled to get her ranking up high enough to qualify for Fed Cup.

"Alexandra Stevenson, I can tell you, for the last three years has begged me to be on the team, and I keep telling her it has everything to do with you," captain Billie Jean King said, "It's your ranking. I go by the rankings."

Stevenson raised her rank to a career-high 18 last fall, although it's slipped a bit this season to 26.

"I have to get my ranking up more," Stevenson, now 22 said. "My goal is to win a tournament and get in the top 10. That's my goal for this year."

In order to do that, she said, she needs more focus. She's turned to a martial arts teacher to find it.

"He's basing his training specifically for me," she said. "He does teach me how to kick just because I want to learn how to kick. But basically it's a lot of mind work.

"He makes me do all these exercises that are really hard like you're holding your arms up for like five minutes," she said illustrating with arms overhead and palms touching.

"And you want to die and you're like having a heart attack. And he's like 'keep the focus. You have to keep the focus.' And he does movement. He has me close my eyes and he moves around and I have to know where he is. It's a lot of spatial relationship and just knowing about your body and about your mind and how to control it."

She plans to play in Rome, Madrid and Paris and hopes to improve her game on dirt.

"I'm really giving it a go to learn how to play on clay. It really helps your game and it helps to be consistent. Good for your feet to move. It helps with your patience and a lot with your focus, so hopefully it will help me a lot this season."
-- Cynthia Faulkner

Copyright ©2003 ESPN Internet Ventures.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
wow, well i've got to give credit to alex. i mean what an interesting way to train, she must really want to be a good player if she is willing to go this far.

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Go Alexandra!!!!!! :D :bounce:

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Lack of desire in my opinion is not Alex's problem. You can sense that she wants to be a Chamionship tennis player. To me, she is a talent that is just waiting to explode.

I hope she learned a lot over the weekend. I will keep on rooting for her.

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
"He makes me do all these exercises that are really hard like you're holding your arms up for like five minutes," she said illustrating with arms overhead and palms touching.

"And you want to die and you're like having a heart attack.
And your like a wimpy like drama queen. That's an exercise many players do probably, I have... it's a great way to build strength and endurance in your shoulders.

But that Alex is a trooper, you know... she's destined for the Top 8 this year, because you know like you know she's a like princess and stuff.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Leena said:
And your like a wimpy like drama queen. That's an exercise many players do probably, I have... it's a great way to build strength and endurance in your shoulders.

But that Alex is a trooper, you know... she's destined for the Top 8 this year, because you know like you know she's a like princess and stuff.
Maybe Bovina needs to follow suit :kiss:

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
Leena said:
That is a great fucking exercise for lazy people like me who do not ever feel like going to the gym or lifting weights or running or stairs. Sit at your damn desk and read while doing that or watch TV. It's fucking hard and great.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Martial Arts training is beatiful and hard. Got to give her credit for trying something unique for her tennis game.

Jakeev I feel yah baby! The kid is going to win a slam one day! Ok for now I'll settle for a match a title a damn point even.. LOL! but she has the game and tools she just needs to get that foundation together.:)

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
For someone with the game and the tools to win a Slam, she sure has an awful amount of hideous losses.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
This is not a Lindsay of 2003 thread this is about Alex Stevenson. Lmao

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
Dawn Marie said:
This is not a Lindsay of 2003 thread this is about Alex Stevenson. Lmao
Yes, that's why it has no reference to her Tier I title won in February or her top five ranking, things Alex can only dream of....

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
KingLindsay you act like Lindsay won her first slam at 16 years and 3 months, and at the age of 18 was beating everyone to a pulp..NOT!

At least Jakeev(Who is a real Lindsay fan) sees the potential In Alex. Just like he saw it in Lindsay when she was in her early 20's as well.

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
Dawn Marie said:
KingLindsay you act like Lindsay won her first slam at 16 years and 3 months, and at the age of 18 was beating everyone to a pulp..NOT!

At least Jakeev(Who is a real Lindsay fan) sees the potential In Alex. Just like he saw it in Lindsay when she was in her early 20's as well.
At 18, Lindsay was #6 in the world. Go educate yourself on her career.

for somebody who pointed out that this is a thread about Stevenson not Davenport, you sure seem intent on talking Lindsay, huh?

I don't see any potential in Alex as a Grand Slam winner and I don't see any reason for anyone to think that she is.

i also don't appreciate your comments. what's wrong, dawn? Didn't get enough uppers in your combo today?

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
No u brought up Lindsay you just didn't realize it..(go back and read first post)

Oooh so at 18 she was #6 and how old was she when she won her first slam and started to BECOME a FACTOR?

Don't knock on Alex when your favorite was a late bloomer. Alex highest ranking was 18, that is nothing to laugh at. If Elena Dementieva can beat Lindsay then Alex has a shot as well. Nobody thought Elena would beat her, including myself so anything can happen.

Reactions: vs1

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
Dawn Marie said:
No u brought up Lindsay you just didn't realize it..(go back and read first post)

Oooh so at 18 she was #6 and how old was she when she won her first slam and started to BECOME a FACTOR?

Don't knock on Alex when your favorite was a late bloomer. Alex highest ranking was 18, that is nothing to laugh at. If Elena Dementieva can beat Lindsay then Alex has a shot as well. Nobody thought Elena would beat her, including myself so anything can happen.
Yes, dawn. I brought up Lindsay. mmm hmmm. That's exactly what happened. How silly of me. Maybe you should review the sequence of posts, you crazy moron.

Lindsay was 22 when she won her first Slam. Hey, that's the same age as Alex is now! And Alex is ..... #26 in the world.

I wasn't knocking Alex. She's done very well to get where she is. Not too many people could take the pounding she endured for two years after Wimbledon 1999 and stick to it and finally succeed. But she'll never be a Grand Slam champion.

Since when are we talking about who can or cannot beat Lindsay? I was referring to Alex's chances of winning a major all along. Try to focus on the issue at hand, Dawn. I know it's hard for you.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
I read your first two sentences in this thread for what they were. It looked like you were refering to dear old Lindsay.

Never say a top 18-26 player will never win a slam... because even the haters know Alex has the weapons. Remind me to look u up when Alex wins her first slam.:)

Reactions: anton

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
"I read your first two sentences in this thread for what they were. It looked like you were refering to dear old Lindsay."

Actually, it didn't, you imbecile. I was OBVIOUSLY responding to your immediately preceding post of inane garbage. You're the one who dragged Lindsay into this becaue you decided that since there was no flaw in my arguments why not resort to insulting my favorite player? Of course, you've proved incapable of that too. Worthless.

"Never say a top 18-26 player will never win a slam... because even the haters know Alex has the weapons. Remind me to look u up when Alex wins her first slam."

Alex does not have the weapons. I'll tell you that right now. She has flashes of brilliances, and deep, deep, deep slumps. She won't win a Slam, so remind me to look you up when she retires, which is hopefully soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts