Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are some quotes from some tennis legends, commentators and sports writers. Some of these I discovered while putting this together I think you’ll find a lot of these very interesting, I surely did:

“One ot the most tragic events in sports history has to be the stabbing of Monica Seles. She was destined to not just be one of the greatest, but the greatest of all time, what a shame.”- Bud Collins

“When I first started playing tennis I wanted to be the greatest of all time and the closer I got to being called that, the more I realized that’s bullshit because you can’t compare [different] generations. And you can’t compare Suzanne Lenglen to me because if i had been born then and played then, I would have been a different player. But what you can do is take people from their generation and see how much they dominated it. And perhaps you can say Suzanne Lenglen was on par with me. And I’m on par with Steffi Graf.’ - Martina Navratilova

When asked about naming the all time top five Martina Navratilova replied by saying, “I’m not going to give the order because that’s impossible. Without the [1993] stabbing, Monica Seles would definitely be up there. But Monica doesn’t have the numbers, unfortunately. She had the talent for it, but it was taken away. That being said, I have to say Steffi, Billie Jean [King], Margaret Court, Chris Everet, and Suzanne Lenglen. -Martina Navratilova

“Given the same chance as others have had, blacks could dominate tennis in as little as ten to fifteen years just as they have in other sports. If it ever happened it would create problems because their behavior, speech, and dress is just a completely different culture. Tennis is a very conservative game with deep roots grounded in Victorian English moral codes and traditions. Minorities-in particular, inner-city minorities -have cultural norms that are diametrically opposite those of upper-middle- and upper-class white American standards.” -Arthur Ashe (1988)

Navratilova is "arguably the greatest player of all time" — tennis commentator Bud Collins

Venus should go straight to the Hall of Fame. She’s going to be there anyway, so why waste time?” -Richard Williams

(talking about Steffi) “The mental toughness puts her right up there with the Michael Jordan's and the Wayne Gretzkys and the John Elways....I would come right out and say she's the greatest ever, except Bud Collins graced us with his presence in the media tent at the Acura Classic in Manhattan Beach on Friday, and I have to defer to his vast knowledge on all things tennis. He's not so quick to install Graf atop the all-time list, thinking that Martina Navratilova might deserve to be called the queen of women's tennis.”- Tracy Austin

“If I had to do it over. I wouldn’t put them in tennis.” - Richard Williams

“Steffi Graf is the greatest singles player of all time.” -Billie Jean King

“I think Steffi Graf’s game is perfect. She’s the best all-around player of all-time regardless of surface” - Martina Navratilova

“I’m not Venus Williams. I’m not Serena Williams. I’m feminine. I don’t want to look like they do. I’m not masculine like they are.” - Anna K

"Steffi was a great legend, an icon and still is . . . We were not like sisters, not best friends. We both had the same goals. But everybody is going to remember her as Steffi Graf, the great." - Martina Hingis

“I’ve never played in an audience that wasn’t for me. The day will come and I’ll be prepared.” -Venus

"Steffi had an unbelievable career, did it with a lot of class. She went out and got the job done and made the racket do the talking. I have always looked up to her the way she approached the game. She worked very hard and is a great athlete. But she has nothing to be ashamed of after winning 22 Grand Slams. That is not easy." - Pete Sampras

“In my opinion Steffi is the best lady that has ever played, dominated on every surface.” - Andre Agassi

"Martina’s 74-match winning streak ought to rank right alongside Joe DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak. In 1982, her singles and doubles record was a combined 160- 7. Add up the regular-season victory totals of that year's champions from the World Series, Super Bowl and NBA Finals and they barely beat Navratilova, 162-160." - sports writer Tom Weir in a commentary for The Washington Post

“The truth is I think I’m very lucky for accomplishing everything I did. I never thought I’d be at this point, to have won any titles, let alone a major.”- Lindsay Davenport

“I watched Serena and Venus play, and they’re not that good. They’ve been given more attention than me and they don’t know how to play points or how to win....I’m not worried about them.” - Anna K

“Everything said about Tiger has been positive. And everything said about Venus has been negative.” - Katrina Adams (former player)

“I used to want to be like John McEnroe. I wanted to be like him as a person. That controversy was very exciting for me back then.” - Serena Williams (who was nicknamed ‘Serena Blackenroe Williams” as a kid)

“When Serena was ten she was the only girl in the academy that used to play tag with a closed fist.” -Rick Macci (tennis coach)

"I never knew the right thing to do then, I was scared. I didn't know if Monica wanted to see me. It was a very hard thing for both of us.....It’s not easy for me to live with, knowing that I’m number one because she was attacked.” -Steffi commenting on why she only visited Seles once when she was out because of the stabbing.

“*"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."- Monica Seles

-tony

Reactions: Chance

· Registered
3,274 Posts
“I’m not Venus Williams. I’m not Serena Williams. I’m feminine. I don’t want to look like they do. I’m not masculine like they are.” - Anna K

the best quote! :lol:

· Registered
851 Posts
If I could, I'd give Monica a :hug: and a :smooch:

· Registered
27,056 Posts
“When Serena was ten she was the only girl in the academy that used to play tag with a closed fist.” -Rick Macci (tennis coach)

This is hilarious!!!!!

· Registered
2,666 Posts
Anna K's quotes about the Willies are just ludacrous. She thought she was the shit back then and she'd do such amazing things in tennis, boy was she wrong. :rolleyes:

I wonder what she thinks now, with the W/S having 10 majors, and her not even with one title. :lol:

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Well keep looking feminine and keep working on your points, because Venus and Serena did learn!

· Registered
773 Posts
Stefwhit said:
“Everything said about Tiger has been positive. And everything said about Venus has been negative.” - Katrina Adams (former player)(tennis coach)
That's a gross overstatement about a player lauded and heralded since childhood, but as to the negatives that have been said, a lot of it goes to the difference in how women and men are treated…and women are as guilty of this practice as men and may be more guilty. To wit, did the comments by Anna really fit with the rest of this?

Stefwhit said:
I love this. Friends and family of champions often tell stories of how competitive they were and are about everything all their lives. They try to win at everything.

Are you sure that asterisk in front of Monica's quote wasn't an attribution to whoever said that first?

· Registered
773 Posts
Freewoman33 said:
Very interesting quotes. MN, AS, MS.

Poor Anna K.

Martina Hinges onces said that she would retire the day Venus Williams became number one. Well, she did shortly after Venus became number one.

To anyone who doesn't have an agenda to believe this: that is not what Martina said.

How did I know when I saw this thread that the false Martina quotes would start showing up here? Just psychic, I guess.

· Banned
27,238 Posts
“In my opinion Steffi is the best lady that has ever played, dominated on every surface.” - Andre Agassi
:worship:

“I used to want to be like John McEnroe. I wanted to be like him as a person. That controversy was very exciting for me back then.” - Serena Williams (who was nicknamed ‘Serena Blackenroe Williams” as a kid)
"Blackenroe"????? ROTFLMFAO! :haha:

LMAO Serena :hearts:

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Steffi is the best all-surface player till now....

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.