Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know the stat by now- the only player to have won each Major at least 4 times. Given the Williams' sisters recent injuries, who among today's crop of players do you think might go on to have such a great career like Graf?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
I think that Serena can probably do it....´cause she has already won all four and is only 21: 2x wimbies and 2x opens already and 1 oz and 1 french. So she doesn´t have that much to go and if she plays long enough can do it for sure.....the most troublesome will be the French.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bandabou said:
I think that Serena can probably do it....´cause she has already won all four and is only 21: 2x wimbies and 2x opens already and 1 oz and 1 french. So she doesn´t have that much to go and if she plays long enough can do it for sure.....the most troublesome will be the French.
I'd like to think so, but sometimes I get the feeling from Serena's press conferences that she doesn't plan on playing tennis when she's 30. I'd like to see it happen- but she is still early in her career, and already pursuing acting more than any other champion before her. I'd like to see her actually win the Grand Slam- all 4 majors in 1 year, and enter the conversation of greatest of all time. She's not there yet- but she has all the tools...
 

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
Joined
·
48,281 Posts
alfajeffster said:
I'd like to think so, but sometimes I get the feeling from Serena's press conferences that she doesn't plan on playing tennis when she's 30. I'd like to see it happen- but she is still early in her career, and already pursuing acting more than any other champion before her. I'd like to see her actually win the Grand Slam- all 4 majors in 1 year, and enter the conversation of greatest of all time. She's not there yet- but she has all the tools...
She can, but it's all about longevity - which in this sport is very tough to capture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seles said:
She can, but it's all about longevity - which in this sport is very tough to capture.
Although Steffi said the same kind of things early on in her career when they asked her if she planned on staying around as long as Martina/Chris, so it's all hypothetical. It'll be VERY interesting to see just who Serena ends up passing the torch to...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
alfajeffster said:
I'd like to think so, but sometimes I get the feeling from Serena's press conferences that she doesn't plan on playing tennis when she's 30. I'd like to see it happen- but she is still early in her career, and already pursuing acting more than any other champion before her. I'd like to see her actually win the Grand Slam- all 4 majors in 1 year, and enter the conversation of greatest of all time. She's not there yet- but she has all the tools...
Yeah, it´s basically up to her! I think Serena is one of the few players whom you can say that her career will depend mostly on herself and what she wants to achieve.

An example: At the ´01 open she said that stayed at the same level too long and that it was time to move to the next level. The next level being: top three and then no.1. She did it within SIX months and without even playing the Oz open! Damn!! In style: two tier I´s and two slams will do that for you.

So if Serena really wants to set that record, no doubt she will.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
irma said:
but steffi retired way earlier then nav and evert anyway

5 and 8 years
Actually, Steffi was on the tour for nearly 17 years- one year less than Evert (1971), and Navratilova- she's gone the Billie Jean King route- retired, reactivated, retired, reactivated for doubles, then mixed, and she's still playing at 46, nearly 30 years and counting- whew! :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
irma said:
it takes incredible talent to make such a comment and then win the next 4:)
No kidding! Serena tought it was time that she won another slam and wins four in a row and 5 of the next 6! Damn!! It´s all mental with this girl...if she wants it, there won´t be any stopping her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,268 Posts
I'm sorry bandabou, but I don't think Serena doesn't want to do that !
However, Steffy did that record in many, many years, and the competition wasn't that high at that time.
I don't think someone will make this once again. Serena, for sure is the most likely to do it.
But, there are very great players that can challenge her, which wasn't really the case at Steffy's time. For example, those who are the most likely to prevent her from doing that are : Justine on clay (i do not mean, Justine can't on the other surfaces, but i'm just saying the most likely), Venus and Clijsters on every surface, Mauresmo.
If Serena can win 4 RG, then she'll break the recorcd. But it's almost impossible to happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
justine&coria said:
Steffy did that record in many, many years, and the competition wasn't that high at that time.
I have to take exception here: Martina Navratilova, Chris Evert, Gabriela Sabatini, Monica Seles, Martina Hingis, and at last the Williams Sisters- I'd say that Steffi had it pretty rough compared to a few other champions' careers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
justine&coria said:
I'm sorry bandabou, but I don't think Serena doesn't want to do that !
However, Steffy did that record in many, many years, and the competition wasn't that high at that time.
I don't think someone will make this once again. Serena, for sure is the most likely to do it.
But, there are very great players that can challenge her, which wasn't really the case at Steffy's time. For example, those who are the most likely to prevent her from doing that are : Justine on clay (i do not mean, Justine can't on the other surfaces, but i'm just saying the most likely), Venus and Clijsters on every surface, Mauresmo.
If Serena can win 4 RG, then she'll break the recorcd. But it's almost impossible to happen.
she doesn´t have a long way to go: she has them already balanced. I´m almost sure that she will win at least two wimbies and us opens.... the oz is pretty fast too, so I´m sure she can win three more of them. That´s why I´m saying that clay will be the most difficult....simply because Justine´s far and away the best clay player and serena really ain´t. Still I think that she can win three more RG´s in her career. We will see how it pans out.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top