Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Graf is the best female tennis player ever according to a ranking on rankopedia. She has a very narrow lead over Navratilova. Then come Chris Evert, Monica Seles, Margaret Court and Billie-Jean King. You can vote for your favorite player.

·
Love the Legends of Tennis
4,464 Posts
These polls usually mean nothing to me as they are generally voted by the youngsters who don't take into consideration the true legends of the past. And people love to vote for their personal favourites, regardless of the historical facts.

A list of the true greats, which cannot be easily ranked in terms of who was the greatest player ever, would have to include (in chronological order):

Lenglen
Wills
Connolly
Court
Evert
Navratilova
Graf

All of them have a claim to being the greatest ever. I like to suggest they were the greatest of the greats and all of them deserve an equal billing on the very top rung of tennis achievement.

King also deserves a special mention because of her remarkable WImbledon and doubles record, and I always give Seles an honorary mention as prior to the stabbing she was headed for this elite group.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you give a special mention to King for her Wimbledon record,you must do the same for Navratilova, who won 9 singles titles and 11 doubles titles!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
These polls usually mean nothing to me as they are generally voted by the youngsters who don't take into consideration the true legends of the past. And people love to vote for their personal favourites, regardless of the historical facts.

A list of the true greats, which cannot be easily ranked in terms of who was the greatest player ever, would have to include (in chronological order):

Lenglen
Wills
Connolly
Court
Evert
Navratilova
Graf

All of them have a claim to being the greatest ever. I like to suggest they were the greatest of the greats and all of them deserve an equal billing on the very top rung of tennis achievement.

King also deserves a special mention because of her remarkable WImbledon and doubles record, and I always give Seles an honorary mention as prior to the stabbing she was headed for this elite group.
I totally agree, all of those in that list are the greatest of the great and all have strengths that are unique to them for example navratilova's amazing title records and all around accomplishment in singles and doubles, Evert's astonishing win ratio and winning streaks, Grafs no. of weeks no.1 and her GS titles, etc... I do not think you can rank without being subjective, so I'd rather not rank them at all but you can always have your personal favourite and I think Evert is the best!!

·
4,464 Posts
If you give a special mention to King for her Wimbledon record,you must do the same for Navratilova, who won 9 singles titles and 11 doubles titles!
What did you miss? I already have Navratilova listed as an all time great if you re-read my post. I gave King a special mention because although I don't list her in my very elite group, I still wanted to give her a special mention because of her incredible Wimbledon record and doubles record.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Sels should follow graf and then serena if we are going on a generational curve, mainly seles though.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I would vote ever so slightly for Navratilova over Graf because of her all-around performance, singles, doubles and mixed-doubles. Yes, I realise the word greatest is subjective, but when you look at Martina's record OVERALL, it's reall compelling for making her THE top player OF HER GENERATION.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
why is kim clijsters so high....above venus, lenglen, etc....she won ONE slam. Generally this list is good tho...shouldnt court be higher tho?

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
No, just no.

·
Registered
115,212 Posts
I'm sure the guy who stabbed Seles is celebrating. He got what he wanted.

·
Registered
115,212 Posts
That's why he stabbed her. Seles was a dominate #1, and he wanted Graf #1.

·
Registered
93 Posts
ewww I cannot believe that skanky bitch justine is currently ranked higher than Hingis, Davenport and Venus! Davenport and Hingis has won way more tournaments than Justine has. Ewww

·
4,464 Posts
That's why he stabbed her. Seles was a dominate #1, and he wanted Graf #1.
It was such a tragedy in the history of tennis, for I am sure Seles would have finished far higher on the Grand Slam rung had it not been for that cruel twist of fate. Certainly she was right up there with Graf until that shocking incident.

Reactions: LeRoy.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I LOVE Steffi Graf and Monica too.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I agree. Most Grand Slams in Open era and a Golden Slam.

:worship:

·
Winner
14,940 Posts
These polls mean NOTHING. Clijsters so high?

Martina Navratilova is the undisputed greatest player of all time. Graf doesn't come CLOSE to her at all. 59 Slams > 23 Slams. Nobody raised the bar like Navratilova did. She won record amounts of singles and doubles titles and did it for the whole of her career. Graf doesn't come close.

Now, Graf does have an argument for the greatest SINGLES player of all time yes, but no the greatest player.

Court's Grand Slams are rather inflated as she won so many at the Australian Open which the standard was nowhere near a Grand Slam, and she played 3 of the 4 on grass.

1 - 20 of 233 Posts