Tennis Forum banner
1821 - 1840 of 1881 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Here's a discovery I don't remember reading about (and I definitely didn't see in real time):

Against Judith Wiesner in 1996 in the Leipzig QF, Steffi had match point and hit a forehand that Judith didn't touch. The umpire called game, set, and match, but Steffi wouldn't take the point. Steffi actually lost the game but then held before withdrawing from her semifinal match against Anke Huber. It seems like Judith was referencing Steffi's sportsmanship at the end when they had the handshake.

Look around 1:13:50 into the video.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
Here's a discovery I don't remember reading about (and I definitely didn't see in real time):

Against Judith Wiesner in 1996 in the Leipzig QF, Steffi had match point and hit a forehand that Judith didn't touch. The umpire called game, set, and match, but Steffi wouldn't take the point. Steffi actually lost the game but then held before withdrawing from her semifinal match against Anke Huber. It seems like Judith was referencing Steffi's sportsmanship at the end when they had the handshake.

Look around 1:13:50 into the video.

I remember this!
I even think Wiesner later said that Steffi probably was wrong, that her ball actually did touch the line! :lol2:

Reactions: Mark43

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
Here is a quiz question for real Grafans - what does Steffi celebrate here?
It is Wimbledon obviously, but which year, which opponent, and what was the score at that moment?
Footwear Shorts Shoe Sports uniform Thigh

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
I'm going to guess that she was celebrating the fact that she had finally held serve to go up 7-6 in the third set of the 1991 final against Sabatini. After having dropped serve at 4-4 and 5-5 and having to break Gaby's serve to get back in the match...

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
I'm going to guess that she was celebrating the fact that she had finally held serve to go up 7-6 in the third set of the 1991 final against Sabatini. After having dropped serve at 4-4 and 5-5 and having to break Gaby's serve to get back in the match...
Yes!!
That was the fantastic forehand inside-out passing shot from behind the baseline while running backwards.
7-6 in the third set and 4 minutes later the match was over. Maybe Steffi most important win ever.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I think that was match point? She made the cover of Sports Illustrated for that. Her last cover. It’s like a different era.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
I think that was match point? She made the cover of Sports Illustrated for that. Her last cover. It’s like a different era.
No, match point was this one:
Sports uniform Shorts Sports equipment Playing sports Racquet sport
Sports uniform Thigh Shorts Crowd Fan

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Here's an easier one. Where and when is this from and what was Steffi seen doing?

Hair Nose Head Hairstyle Eyebrow

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
Here's an easier one. Where and when is this from and what was Steffi seen doing?

View attachment 204285

She is watching a tennis match.
Going by her hair most probably in 1987.
Could be Key Biscayne (The Lipton), semi final day. Watching Evert advance to the final.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
She is watching a tennis match.
Going by her hair most probably in 1987.
Could be Key Biscayne (The Lipton), semi final day. Watching Evert advance to the final.
You got two things right.

Yes, she's watching a tennis match. :LOL: And yes, one of the players on court is Chris Evert.

The year and the event are not correct though.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
You got two things right.

Yes, she's watching a tennis match. :LOL: And yes, one of the players on court is Chris Evert.

The year and the event are not correct though.
Considering Steffi's hair length it then must have been Wimbledon 1988, semi final Navratilova-Evert!
For earlier rounds her hair is too long.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Considering Steffi's hair length it then must have been Wimbledon 1988, semi final Navratilova-Evert!
For earlier rounds her hair is too long.
Almost there but not quite. Navratilova vs Evert is correct but not the year and the match.

That photo is of Steffi watching the 1986 French Open final between Evert and Navratilova. Steffi stayed in Paris after her loss to Mandlikova because she had a doubles final to play the day after the Evert vs Navratilova singles final.

Andrea Temesvari, who was Navratilova's doubles partner during that French Open, was also shown watching the match at one point. IIRC so was Gaby Sabatini.

When the cameras panned to Steffi it was early in the match and Chris, playing like crap, was down 0-3 already. At that point I wondered whether Steffi was cursing herself for not converting the match point against Hana in the quarters. (Of course Chris picked up her level and played some of her best clay court tennis ever in the second and third sets.)

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
Almost there but not quite. Navratilova vs Evert is correct but not the year and the match.

That photo is of Steffi watching the 1986 French Open final between Evert and Navratilova. Steffi stayed in Paris after her loss to Mandlikova because she had a doubles final to play the day after the Evert vs Navratilova singles final.

Andrea Temesvari, who was Navratilova's doubles partner during that French Open, was also shown watching the match at one point. IIRC so was Gaby Sabatini.

When the cameras panned to Steffi it was early in the match and Chris, playing like crap, was down 0-3 already. At that point I wondered whether Steffi was cursing herself for not converting the match point against Hana in the quarters. (Of course Chris picked up her level and played some of her best clay court tennis ever in the second and third sets.)
That means Steffi was only sweet 16 in this picture. Would not have thought that.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
Almost there but ...
Now it's my turn again:

Who is the person who is touching young Steffi's back here?
And what does Steffi clutch with her hands?
And of course - when and where?
Shoe Purple Sleeve Gesture Fashion design

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
:LOL: I know who the guy in the photo is. I'll let someone else guess for a change.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
It’s that Terrible Traitor Trunt at Ivanka’s Plaza Hotel and she is holding the Player of the Year trophy?
Wrong. It is Donald J. Trump. The former and the next US President.
The rest is right, however.
Which year?

And what did the President say later about Steffi Graf in the Howard Stern show?

• Wow
Reactions: jimbo mack

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
100 percent right. It’s Traitorous Trunt the World’s Biggest Con Artist selling the willingly ignorant, simple minded and souless all the vapid snake oil they can lap up.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
100 percent right. It’s Traitorous Trunt the World’s Biggest Con Artist selling the willingly ignorant, simple minded and souless all the vapid snake oil they can lap up.
Well, that is sad that you insult your twice elected president like this.
Anyway, I think Steffi was impressed by him, bigly.

But here is another quiz question:

Who is this and what connection has she to Steffi (its a new picture from 2022):

Swimsuit top Plant Lingerie top People in nature Light

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Very, very sad, but there’s an easily conned sucker born every minute. They willingly lap that ridiculous garbage up And love getting conned. As we all know Steffi has never been a brain challenged sucker and most likely would never vote for a blow hard laughable traitor who lies nonstop. That’s so not Steffi.
Obviously.

1821 - 1840 of 1881 Posts