Tennis Forum banner
1661 - 1680 of 1716 Posts

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
But yet if she had not been sick and beaten Pammy. It would have been more legendary. I am a greedy tard 😁
If that had happened Pammy wouldn't have been able to constantly say, "When I beat Steffi at the Garden..." over a twenty-year period. :LOL: She'd have had to constantly bring up her wins over Martina at the US Open instead.

• Haha
Reactions: Mark43 and didie

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Are all the old posts from vol 1 and 2 gone? I just wonder.
These?

Volume 1:

Volume 2:

Reactions: Mark43

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
These?

Volume 1:

Volume 2:
Thanks maybe I will read to see if evolved in 20 years probably not 😜

·
Registered
3,631 Posts

Graf vs Sabatini at the 1988 French Open in the semis. Graf's longest match at that French Open and the only one in which she dropped more than four games in a set. In fact Graf served for the match at 6-3, 5-4, but Sabatini did well to push the champion to a tiebreaker.

Reactions: djul14 and Mark43

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
What was up with Steffi and not serving out matches at the first try the french open? It even happened in the match against Anna K.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Honestly I am just glad NoVax JokeCovid didn’t join the club And break the tie.
Honestly, I dislike Djokovic too, I didn't want him to make the Golden Slam, him to "join" her ewwww.
But I was surprisingly fine with the Grand Slam.
I won nearly 100€ with a bet on Medvedev victory still 😎😁

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Even if Djokovic didn't succeed what he has done already is pretty damn impressive, given how rare such dominance is in the men's game.

The four Slams in a row (WIM/USO 2015, AO/FO 2016), which made him the first man since Rod Laver in 1969 to hold all four at the same time. Only three other players (Navratilova, Graf and S Williams) have managed to do this in the last fifty years. Djokovic is the first (and so far, the only) male player to have done this when the Slams were on at least three different surfaces.

In his best years so far Djokovic has been quite exceptional at the four Slams.
Novak Djokovic
2021: W, W, W, F
2015: W, F, W, W
2011: W, SF, W, W

That's two years in which he won three and was a finalist in the fourth, and one year in which he won three and was a semi-finalist in the fourth.

Only two other players -- Rod Laver and Roger Federer -- came close to this level of dominance in multiple years.
Laver
1962 (W, W, W, W)
1969 (W, W, W, W)

Federer
2006: W, F, W, W
2007: W, F, W, W
2004: W, R16, W, W

Other notable mentions - but worth noting that each of these men only had one year of such results over their careers.
Jack Crawford - 1933 (W, W, W, F)
Fred Perry - 1934 (W, QF, W, W)
Tony Trabert - 1955 (SF, W, W, W)
Lew Hoad - 1956 (W, W, W, F)
Roy Emerson - 1964 (W, QF, W W)
Jimmy Connors - 1974 (W, DNP, W, W)
Mats Wilander - 1988 (W, W, QF, W)
Rafael Nadal - 2010 (QF, W, W, W)

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
It’s still shocking to look at 1988 as a whole. Obviously, being a lifelong tennis fan, I know that Wilander took 3 out of 4, but I tend to forget when that year comes up. Has that level of dual dominance ever happened before? Court and Connors missed each other by a year, ‘73-74.
Then, low and behold it nearly happens again in 2015! What are the odds?
The awe + shock of 1988 really should continually include the amazing stat that it nearly occurred on both tours that year.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Navratilova and Mcenroe in 1984? I know he had the painful french open Lendl loss but other then that he was pretty dominant. Also he lost it right after same for our Mats.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
1988 was jokingly referred to as a year of the Grand Slams by some writer back then. He wrote that the men's side had a Swedish Grand Slam (with Wilander winning three Slams and Edberg the fourth) while Graf completed a West German Grand Slam on the women's side all by herself.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
1992 was like Navratilova and McEnroe in 1984: Seles won three out of four and Courier won two out of four. Of course McEnroe's 1984 was like Djokovic's 2011 in terms of absolute domination of the tour whereas Courier didn't quite reach those heights in 1992. Similarly Martina had her glorious 74-match-winning streak in 1984 whereas Monica did lose five times in 1992.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Oh yeah Monica dominated 1992. I wasn't that much focused on her :p

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
The talk of Mats dominating 1988 made me curious about "pairs" of players who won the men's and women's Slam singles titles in the same year.

Graf overlapped the most with Pete Sampras, which is understandable given how dominant he was from 1993 onwards.
Sampras - 6 - WIM 93, USO 93, AO 94, WIM 95, USO 95, USO 96
Lendl - 3 - FO 87, AO 89, AO 90
Wilander - 3 - AO 88, FO 88, USO 88
Becker - 2 - WIM 89, USO 89
Agassi - 2 - WIM 92, FO 99
Edberg (WIM 88), Stich (WIM 91), Bruguera (FO 93), Muster (FO 95), Kafelnikov (FO 96), Krajicek (WIM 96) - 1 each

Monica Seles, for instance, was like Jim Courier's lucky charm. Every time Courier won a Slam, Seles had already won the women's title the day before (FO 91, AO 92, FO 92, AO 93).
Seles
Courier - 4 - FO 91, AO 92, FO 92, AO 93
Becker - 2 - AO 91, AO 96
Edberg - 2 - USO 91, USO 92
Gomez - 1- FO 90

Navratilova
McEnroe - 3 - WIM 83, WIM 84, USO 84
Lendl - 3 - FO 84, USO 86, USO 87
Borg - 2 - WIM 78, WIM 79
Connors - 2 - WIM 82, USO 83
Wilander - 2 - FO 82, AO 83
Becker - 2 - WIM 85, WIM 86
Edberg - 2 - AO 85, WIM 90
Kriek (AO 81), Cash (WIM 87) - 1 each

Evert
Borg - 5 - FO 74, FO 75, W76, FO 79, FO 80
Connors - 4 - WIM 74, USO 76, USO 78, USO 82
McEnroe - 2 - USO 80, WIM 81
Wilander - 2 - AO 84, FO 85
Orantes (USO 75), Vilas (USO 77), Kriek (AO 82), Noah (FO 83), Lendl (FO 86) - 1 each

Somehow these pairs seem very well-suited to me: Graf and Sampras, Evert and Borg, Seles and Courier. Navratilova's pairing with both McEnroe (a temperamental lefty just like her) and Lendl (a Czech-born American, just like her) seems perfect for her too.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Steffi and Sampras? I don't know. I always liked his rival better just like Steffi;)
Steffi and Edberg would be 😍 though

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Steffi and Sampras? I don't know. I always liked his rival better just like Steffi;)
Steffi and Edberg would be 😍 though
Ha! I meant it more in terms of their on-court personalities and playing temperament. Pete, like Steffi, was very businesslike and professional. Went out, played his match, and got out. Very no-frills and not prone to many emotional outbursts.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
But Sampras was way more arrogant then Steffi. He once said in a program about Andre that he needed Andre to make him shine. Steffi would never say something like that.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Damn I forgot about it being the Swedish Slam! That was kind of funny.
I guess I never include Mac’s 1984 season because he didn’t play in Australia a full 3 years after the women brought it back to promenice. At the time I found it odd. I know it coincided with Thanksgiving but didn’t interfere at all with Xmas or New Years.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
But Sampras was way more arrogant then Steffi. He once said in a program about Andre that he needed Andre to make him shine. Steffi would never say something like that.
+1 remember reading a Sampras itw with a question about womens tennis, his answer was so disrepectful.

Steffi was probably more arrogant with her attitude on court than him. He was boring.
I agree on the businesslike similarity. But that's it.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I always found Sampras very boring. On MTF they were showing a part were Andre was losing it against the umpire and even in that part the boredom of Sampras was clear.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Lol so much love for Sampras.
His tennis bored me the most.
Never understood how one could find it cool or entertaining : ace, ace, winning serve, ace...

1661 - 1680 of 1716 Posts