Tennis Forum banner
1621 - 1640 of 1672 Posts

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Steffi's performance in 92 FO 3rd set and 93 AO 3rd set were not good at all. Actually, 93 AO SF was even worse than Final. The only Graf-marked match before the unfortunate stabbing incident was the Hilton Head final. It gave al
l her fans huge confidence to see Steffi's rule again.

* Yes, the 1999 Wimbledon draw was not in favor of Steffi. But I believe if Steffi could have broken a serve of Lindsay in the 2nd set, she could have won the title. Of course, I agree Steffi's performance in the Final is cannot be compared with the QF against Venus.

In fact, almost all draws were difficult for Steffi in almost in her grand slams. But she wasn't the person who thinks for an easy draw. The only easy draw I felt was 1998 Wimbledon. but we knew Steffi's fitness at the time. She just returned from the knee surgery and wasn't playing her game anywhere in that period.
No need of before 1997 Steffi, even half of 1999 FO-Wimbledon Steffi could win the 1998 Wimbledon, the only easy draw!
I agree about Hilton Head 1993. It was also the first time since 1987 she beat Sabatini on green clay. I thought that even her dislike for clay might have been restored (she didn't like clay in 92 and was constantly talking about her love for grass during the clayseason)

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Her sponsor Feiler congratulates Steffi and has a brand-new picture of her!

·
Registered
17,539 Posts
This is an absolutely stunning video.

Monica doing so much chip and charging, volleying, hitting dropshots. It shows she really took-on the Wimbledon challenge with dedication.

She's practically unrecognizable here (from her usual mirror-identical and enbdless baseline-to-baseline missile firing on both wings).

Also funny to see her holding a racket with one hand so many times. Then it becomes too obvious that she is a leftie.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Great memories

Monica doing so much chip and charging, volleying, hitting dropshots. It shows she really took-on the Wimbledon challenge with dedication.

She's practically unrecognizable here (from her usual mirror-identical and enbdless baseline-to-baseline missile firing on both wings).

Also funny to see her holding a racket with one hand so many times. Then it becomes too obvious that she is a leftie.
If only this board had existed that saturday evening in 92.
We would have had a lot of fun ;)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts

It's not in that clip, but if you watch the full match, Seles even played a serve-and-volley point in one of her service games in the first set. Bud Collins on the NBC Broadcast was thrilled and was heard yelling, "Serve and volley! Quick, send a clip of that point to the International Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport." (Something along those lines.)

Collins added that Seles had in fact played a similar serve-and-volley point earlier that year in the Italian Open final against Sabatini and that she'd tried this tactic a few times. Later in the second set when Seles was trying to hold serve at 1-4 down and somehow stay in the match she approached the net again on one or two points.

I forget if it was in the same service game of the first set as the s&v point, but Seles served three aces in a single game in that set, and Collins said, "Who does she think she is? Ivanisevic? Three aces in one game?" 🤣

I know a lot of people found him unbearable and always muted his commentary, but I mostly enjoyed listening to Bud Collins. He had genuine affection for the players and the sport and it showed. Even Graf, I think, was rather fond of the avuncular commentator and flirtatiously told him that she had been thinking about him when she attacked the net on a few points in the 1993 Hilton Head final.

Reactions: Grafiati and Raiden

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
It's not in that clip, but if you watch the full match, Seles even played a serve-and-volley point in one of her service games in the first set. ...

I forget if it was in the same service game of the first set as the s&v point, but Seles served three aces in a single game in that set, and Collins said, "Who does she think she is? Ivanisevic? Three aces in one game?" 🤣

I know a lot of people found him unbearable and always muted his commentary, but I mostly enjoyed listening to Bud Collins. He had genuine affection for the players and the sport and it showed. Even Graf, I think, was rather fond of the avuncular commentator and flirtatiously told him that she had been thinking about him when she attacked the net on a few points in the 1993 Hilton Head final.
Seles with 3 aces in a single service game against Steffi in the Wimbledon final?
I think you are mistaken; Seles hit only 2 aces in the whole match.

Collins is most probably the only commentator who even got a kiss from Steffi (after one of the Wimbledon finals against Sanchez, I think).

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I only remember the ace on matchpoint(all that mattered;)) and Uli Potowski of course.

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
I only remember the ace on matchpoint(all that mattered;)) and Uli Potowski of course.
:D Potowski is still around on German TV, as after-match interviewer in football with Sky Deutschland.
He was not exactly a tennis expert. But her loved Boris and Steffi!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Bud was an intelligent, kindhearted professional with a great sense of humor. I don't recall too many people disliking him. Notoriously, John McEnroe made his distaste for Bud known (was it derived from Bud not being a former pro, at least in one comment?), but I have never found any endearing qualities when it comes to John McEnroe's journalistic work.

Back to Steffi: what a set of matches she played in 1992 to take out Gaby and Monica. That video posted a bit upthread really shows the athletic differences between Steffi and Monica. Steffi was scampering around like a track star while Monica was sometimes wrapped up in her own feet and arms.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
So she is 53 now? Wow thats old 😳 but she looks good. Sadly she is such a private person. We never seen her kids. We know the boy is in baseball but we haven’t seen the girl since she was 6 or so. She is now the same age her mom was when she won her first GS. How unbelievable is that. Is the girl also in some sports?

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Graf was born in 1969, so she's 52 now. I actually don't mind that she's a private person and chooses to live outside the spotlight. I loved her as a tennis player, but I don't really have much of an interest in her private life unless she willingly chooses to share something. She seems happy and content, and I'm glad that she managed to leave her troubled teens and twenties behind to carve out the life that she wanted for herself.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Just thinking about Andre when he entered wimbledon 1991. He was the hype, and then you had Navratilova and Judy Nelson and Monica and Donald Trump so they probably left Steffi alone. I really think that helped her to win the title. She was having just having fun on court with Henri Leconte (in a good way)
Probably her most underrated victory:)

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
That Tokyo 91 match must really have been the low point of her career.
I don't get why her behavior was seen as controversial. She gave Sabatini a hand 10 second later.

That not getting a ball in court must be about that 2:6 against Sandra Nacuk in Berlin 99. That was her worst set ever. Lucky she still won the french a month later 😀

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
So she is 53 now? Wow thats old 😳 but she looks good. Sadly she is such a private person. We never seen her kids. We know the boy is in baseball but we haven’t seen the girl since she was 6 or so. She is now the same age her mom was when she won her first GS. How unbelievable is that. Is the girl also in some sports?
Here is Jaz Elle (photo from 2020):

Reactions: Mark43 and ChrisR

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Just thinking about Andre when he entered wimbledon 1991. He was the hype, and then you had Navratilova and Judy Nelson and Monica and Donald Trump so they probably left Steffi alone. I really think that helped her to win the title. She was having just having fun on court with Henri Leconte (in a good way)
Probably her most underrated victory:)
Maybe her most important victory. Another loss to Sabatini, the sixth in row, might have broken her.

Reactions: Mark43

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Steffi seems to be quite a lovely person according to YouTube commentators who have met her in real life (who would have thought that.... ;)):

ARISE AND SHINE

I use to see her in Wholefoods all the time, in Las Vegas. It was “WildOats” when I worked there. She was quiet, in & out, very kind. One time.. a regular (older lady) that was there everyday, asked her for a ride home. She said “alright.”☺Oh, back to tennis.. she is absolutely the best! My favorite!🙌

Santoki1

Met Steffi years ago in Bergdorf Goodman. She was so sweet and charming despite being at the height of her fame.

B Crater

Close friend of mine knows her personally and says she is one of the nicest, most approachable people you could ever meet. Hard not to like a lovely person like that.

Tyrone Valdéz-Krüger

When she was about 13 I lived in Brühl in the same neighbourhood and her dad even paid me to collect balls while training. She was so fast with their long skinny legs, it was unbelievable and she'd be a top 200m tracking sprinter too. With ca 15 she couldn't live around "normal" ppl anymore, with 20 I would briefly talk to her the last time and she was so incredibly nice to all of us while autographs and still shy.

Mike Dondero

She goes to the same Whole Foods that I do in Vegas! But the difference is when she parks...she collects some carts in the parking lot and pushes them to the cart area in front of the store! Me, not so much....Yes, a very classy lady!

rolindowndriver

I saw Steffi at a couple of Spurs games in San Antonio as she was good friends with David Robinson at the time.She walked past me in the lobby, let me tell you, I've always been a fan but seeing her up close, she is incredibly athletic and beautiful.

Mr. Help

A female pro tennis player friend of mine, suddenly brought up Steffi and said she was showering at the same time as Steffi and she said, it was the most perfectly put together female body she had ever seen.

c2itccase9

I once saw Graf in a mall in Boca Raton and there is no doubt that she had the best legs of all time. Smoking hot legs!!!

noel byrne

Met Steffi in Vagas couple of yrs ago walking with her children in the mgm . Didn’t impose coz of the kids but she looked amazing and tall . Loved watching her play

Reactions: Mark43

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Still the only one with a Golden Slam 😁❗
I found it slightly ironic that the player who stopped Djokovic's bid for a Golden Slam then went on to become the first German player to win a singles gold at the Olympics since Graf in 1988. :D

Reactions: Don Eladio
1621 - 1640 of 1672 Posts