Tennis Forum banner
1601 - 1620 of 1672 Posts

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Absolutely. That match is only talked about when a slam is within reach... which means only once since 1988 and Serena was a nervous wreck. Even tho Steffi was near perfection in the ‘88 FO final, when I think back to that year and her achievements the crowning glory is always those two breathtaking sets against Navratilova in the W final. It was shocking and utterly amazing. A literal changing of the guard right before ones very eyes in real time.
Glorious, even though I was devastated and pissed. Ha!
In the 1988 Wimbledon final Steffi hit 55 winners and made only 21 unforced errors (Martina 20 & 14). In the last two sets it was 34 winners and 9 UEs for Steffi (Martina 8 & 7).
According to: 1988 Wimbledon F: Martina Navratilova vs Steffi Graf Detailed Stats | Tennis Abstract
Interesting that Navratilova made less UEs than the winner Steffi.

Steffi broke the 6-time-defending champion Navratilova in 7 of her last 7 service games. On grass, in Wimbledon.

Reactions: Grafiati and Mark43

·
Registered
589 Posts
I knew there was a "problem", it's even more clearer with the number of tournaments played. That's why those goat debates are stupid, % or don't even try to compare. And even with % it's stupid, the differences between generations are so huge : conditions, materials, surfaces,...

Her number of matches should be more Fed/Nav like, considering the length of their careers, that's why I was very surprised.
There's no "should" standard about the number of matches played during a career.

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Of course ^
The "should" is more about the ratio with the number of years played, I was just surprised.
Serena lives and dies for the slams.

In the times of the other greats it was also about rivalries. The top players like Evert, Navratilova, Mandlikova, Graf, Seles, Sabatini wanted to beat each other everywhere, be it in Boca Raton, Zurich, Tokyo or at the slams. When Sabatini played (and beat) Steffi in Florida, fans wanted to see that.

But since Serena has not had any serious rivals post-Henin and since the slam count seems to be the only GOAT criterium today she doesn't care for tune-up tournaments any more but plays on year after year to get to the elusive 24th slam. As if that would make her the GOAT.

Reactions: larryd

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Hard to argue with your choices, Don Eladio, but I've never been a big fan of the 1992 French Open final. Graf made far too many errors and only played well when she was on the brink of defeat. She recorded something like 66 unforced errors in that match, IIRC. I felt the 1993 Australian final was much better match in terms of the quality of play. It wasn't very close in the third set because Seles played probably one of her best sets of tennis and Graf's level dropped a little bit, but even so it wasn't an error-fest.

As with many of you, my all-time favourite is the 1988 Wimbledon final because the way Graf lifted her game and refused to go away after being down 5-7, 0-2 was astonishing, especially on grass. More significantly Navratilova had been very defiant all year long that she was the better player and that it was only a matter of time before she recaptured the top ranking. Also adding fuel to the fire were the usual Evertilova lackeys like Shriver who'd issue statements that Martina was still the number one because she held Wimbledon and the US Open. After Graf's win in the Wimbledon final Navratilova admitted for the first time that the torch had been passed and it was only then that she seemed to accept or even recognise that she was no longer the best player in the world. Early in 1987 Shriver, Navratilova and Mandlikova accused Graf of ducking grass and playing the system to keep her ranking up. A year and a half later Graf silenced all her doubters and left them in no doubt that she could whip them even on the lawns of SW19.

Other faves:
1. The one-two beatdown of Sabatini and Seles for the loss of only nine games in the semis and the final of Wimbledon 1992.
2. Beating Seles to win the 1995 US Open even though all the so-called experts predicted a Seles win and wouldn't stop talking about how Monica was even better than she'd been in 1993. A few even predicted a Golden Slam for Seles in 1996. (Of course the same "experts" now claim that they knew even back in 1995 that Seles was out of shape and would never reach her former heights.)
3. Beating Sabatini to complete the Slam at the 1988 US Open. Sabatini had been the only player to beat her that year, once on hard courts and once on clay. So it seemed fitting that Graf had to get past her doubles partner in the French semis on clay and, more significantly, in the US final on cement to secure a place in the record books.
4. The win over Venus Williams in the 1999 Wimbledon quarters. A match interrupted by rain and Graf's promotion to the number two seed by the AELTC (ahead of the #2 player, Lindsay Davenport) turning out to be a curse when Graf ended up with the most dangerous quarter-final opponent in her draw. I know she beat Lucic in the semis after this, but she was already a pale shadow of herself by that next match. The final set of the Williams match was one of her steadiest, shrewdest performances in the final stages of her career. The way Williams played she'd have beaten any other player except Graf that day and maybe Davenport from finals day.
5. 1986 US Open semis: Yes, she lost, but this match remains one of my favourites. Martina had to win this one; Steffi wouldn't fold and give it to her.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I agree that although the 1992 Roland Garros final has the dramatic third set score, the quality from Steffi was not very high.

It's true that while some think back to the 1992 Wimbledon final as a great performance from Steffi, her semifinal beatdown was also significant, and it is undervalued.

That 1999 Wimbledon QF stands the test of time for me thus far. I watched it again last year when a telecast of it I'd never seen was uploaded to YouTube, and it was a strong physical and mental display from both, especially Steffi.

This feels like the time to plug the 1991 San Antonio final once more. It remains one of my favorite Steffi matches. For the first time in 3.5 years, Steffi was not the #1 player, but after dropping serve twice to go down 1-4 against the new top player in the world, Steffi walloped Monica with a fine display of tennis.

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
As with many of you, my all-time favourite is the 1988 Wimbledon final because the way Graf lifted her game and refused to go away after being down 5-7, 0-2 was astonishing, especially on grass. More significantly Navratilova had been very defiant all year long that she was the better player and that it was only a matter of time before she recaptured the top ranking. Also adding fuel to the fire were the usual Evertilova lackeys like Shriver who'd issue statements that Martina was still the number one because she held Wimbledon and the US Open. After Graf's win in the Wimbledon final Navratilova admitted for the first time that the torch had been passed and it was only then that she seemed to accept or even recognise that she was no longer the best player in the world. Early in 1987 Shriver, Navratilova and Mandlikova accused Graf of ducking grass and playing the system to keep her ranking up. A year and a half later Graf silenced all her doubters and left them in no doubt that she could whip them even on the lawns of SW19.

2. Beating Seles to win the 1995 US Open even though all the so-called experts predicted a Seles win and wouldn't stop talking about how Monica was even better than she'd been in 1993. A few even predicted a Golden Slam for Seles in 1996. (Of course the same "experts" now claim that they knew even back in 1995 that Seles was out of shape and would never reach her former heights.) ...
That I like most about Steffi, she let her racquet do the talking.

She taught Austin ("thousands like her") a lesson in 1994 with a 6-0 6-0 rout.

She silenced the Navratilova world by humiliating Shriver in the semis (did the same in 1987!) and by just steam-rollering Navratilova in the last 2 sets of the final in Wimbledon 1988.

She explained to Sabatini - who had said at the end of 1988 that she was on the same level as Steffi - in the AO 1989 semis that she was wrong.

She beat the "better-than-ever" Seles, playing injured and with her dad in prison, playing in front of a hostile crowd, in the USO 1995 final. And you are right - the "never-was-the-same-again Seles" narrative started later, with real force not before 1997.

And most famously she taught Hingis in the FO 1999 final that it was not a faster, more athletic game now and that her (Steffi's) time had not passed yet.

Reactions: Grafiati

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Aaah ! How could I forgot the 1999 Wimbledon 1/4 against Venus, what a match !
One of my favorite actually. Such a high level and intensity, despite the rain.

There is another one we forgot, the 1998 match vs Seles at the masters, good 3 sets of tennis and the atmosphere at the Madison Square Garden was electric.

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Aaah ! How could I forgot the 1999 Wimbledon 1/4 against Venus, what a match !
One of my favorite actually. Such a high level and intensity, despite the rain.

There is another one we forgot, the 1998 match vs Seles at the masters, good 3 sets of tennis and the atmosphere at the Madison Square Garden was electric.
Seles was bitter after that match that the crowd supported Steffi so much.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
The 1998 MSG match was very exciting. I wish I had seen it live, rather on YouTube many years later. It was pure drama.

·
Banned
1,056 Posts

4:32 of glory!
THAT is how you dismantle an all-time great on the grandest stage!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Sebastian Korda admires Steffi.

This is from an ESPN article I just read. It refers to Sebastian training on court with Andre Agassi, Steffi Graf, and Petr Korda:

"The young player soaked in everything he could from the legend on and off the court, and said he was mostly intimidated by Graf, who is married to Agassi, and her blistering crosscourt forehand."

·
Registered
399 Posts
Steffi's performance in 92 FO 3rd set and 93 AO 3rd set were not good at all. Actually, 93 AO SF was even worse than Final. The only Graf-marked match before the unfortunate stabbing incident was the Hilton Head final. It gave all her fans huge confidence to see Steffi's rule again.

* Yes, the 1999 Wimbledon draw was not in favor of Steffi. But I believe if Steffi could have broken a serve of Lindsay in the 2nd set, she could have won the title. Of course, I agree Steffi's performance in the Final is cannot be compared with the QF against Venus.

In fact, almost all draws were difficult for Steffi in almost in her grand slams. But she wasn't the person who thinks for an easy draw. The only easy draw I felt was 1998 Wimbledon. but we knew Steffi's fitness at the time. She just returned from the knee surgery and wasn't playing her game anywhere in that period.
No need of before 1997 Steffi, even half of 1999 FO-Wimbledon Steffi could win the 1998 Wimbledon, the only easy draw!

Reactions: Don Eladio

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Happy birthday, Steffi!

Reactions: jkulie77

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Happy birthday to Stefanie! I'll always remember her as a 17-year-old, two weeks shy of her 18th birthday, beating Martina to win her first Grand Slam title in Paris and then apologising to Martina.

Reactions: Mark43
1601 - 1620 of 1672 Posts