Tennis Forum banner

1481 - 1497 of 1497 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Do you have any good account/channel recommendations on YouTube?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Jaden looks so much like Steffi!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I just had a look at my YouTube "channels" subscriptions.

With tons of Steffi's matches :
oztennis94
D G
yevshif
oxiyss
Kevmcg

And 2 others great with less tennis :
Christian Ehrl
TheForehand

Sadly a lot of matches have been removed from YouTube, probably because of rights issues.

Someone added the 1995 Paris indoors final, this match was so important to me. First Steffi was finally back, vs Pierce that I appreciated at that time, it was in Paris and it was on public TV ?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Jaden looks so much like Steffi!
Hi samn,
Yes, he is the same as younger Steffi, of course, even in building a career.
I just had a look at my YouTube "channels" subscriptions.

With tons of Steffi's matches :
oztennis94
D G
yevshif
oxiyss
Kevmcg

And 2 others great with less tennis :
Christian Ehrl
TheForehand

Sadly a lot of matches have been removed from YouTube, probably because of rights issues.

Someone added the 1995 Paris indoors final, this match was so important to me. First Steffi was finally back, vs Pierce that I appreciated at that time, it was in Paris and it was on public TV ?
TheForehand was Jessyka's channel, she was so active on this board those days. Not sure, what happened to her?

We miss many like Irma.

Though the internet was there just for the name in her days, this board was still one of the most popular threads of this site. I dream what if the internet was open in her playing days? OMG! Perhaps, servers would have stuck.

About the 1995 Paris final:
I learned about this first from Irma's post because I have been a fan since 1998 only due to my age (Yes, I knew Steffi even before 1993, but I was 5 or 6 years old then).
Steffi and Pierce met only twice in Grand Slams. They share 1-1, both are one-sided. And if you look at their all head-to-head record. All matches are finished in straight sets!

In a way, that tournament was the rebirth of Steffi's legacy at that time as media thought that she would have to retire soon at that time, but she proved they were wrong.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Since this is an admiration thread, I have to write that I just watched on YouTube a great match from Steffi. She absolutely STOMPED on Bettina Fulco in the 1988 Roland Garros QF. Check out the match if you want to see her in full flight. She took the first in sixteen minutes with the loss of two points, and one of the commentators kept saying, "C'est incroyable!"

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Hard to believe it was nearly 32 years ago. She was so feared at this time, but you wonder how the recent two losses to Sabatini affected others viewpoints of her? I was studying for finals in college and didn’t have a tv in the dorm, so I just assumed Steffi would win everything in sight that spring. But did those two losses give anyone hope? Martina looked like a scared rabbit once Graf slammed a ball into the backboard in anger and Martina was up a set and a break ON GRASS! So I doubt anyone really had more hope except Sabatini?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I was watching a Steffi video off of YouTube last night and it had a graphic that Steffi lost 14 SETS in all of 1987! Take away her two losses, both to Martina, and that's 10 sets lost in 75 matches! I wasn't watching tennis in 1988, year of the linked video, but I can imagine that most of the tour felt pretty hopeless going into a match against Steffi.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Honestly Steffi seemed scarier to me in ‘87, as a Hana, Martina, Chris fan. When the year started and Hana finally beat Martina in straights to win the AO and stopping her massive streak, I thought she might be the one to go head to head with Steffi. Of course that hope lasted about a week! But once things got going in Miami it was very obvious that Steffi was not only more powerful than even a few months before, she had improved her serve, her backhand pass and SOMEHOW she seemed even faster than in 1986. Every single match I watched in 1987 I saw fear in her opponents eyes, including both losses to Martina. I also felt something I’ve only felt one other time...that she was almost perceptibly improving with each match. I felt this watching Nadal in 2006, as well. Perhaps I was projecting because I thought Martina would lose both those matches, but she looked to me as if either of those matches went to three sets, ‘Steffi1987‘ would power up and Martina would be a goner.
In 1988 I didn’t feel that way. It seemed like her return had improved, especially against Martina’s slider, but she was not perceptibly better to my eye in 1988. She was nearly perfect but not leaping from the very, very top to a slight level higher. But if you looked in Martina’s eyes, all you saw was fear. I even saw it in Chris’s eyes (a rarity!), until she narrowed that squint and refused to lose one and one in the AO final.

·
Registered
53,380 Posts

1481 - 1497 of 1497 Posts