Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there is something I have been wanting to ask for a long time. I want to start by saying I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, I just noticed there are a lot of steffi fans here, and there is something I want to understand about her.
I'm pretty new to tennis, about 2 years, so I didn't get to see too much of her. I am, however, a big Monica fan. when I was just starting to get interested in tennis, I looked for stuff about monica on line, and found out something that made me dislike Steffi. it had to do with monica's stabbing. after monica was stabbed, before anyone knew how badly it would affect her, the wta was asked to save her no.1 spot. the doctors said she would only take 2-3 weeks to recover, and the wta put this to a vote. all the top 20 players voted, every single one of them voted "no". I think it was terrible of them to do that. monica was attacked on a tennis court, by a tennis fan, while playing tennis it's not like she hurt her leg skiing or anything! but the worst was that steffi voted no. now, I don't blame steffi for the stabbing, no way. but if a mad man stabbed my main rival, for the expressed goal of removing her from the no.1 spot, and making sure I got there, I would have the decency to at least vote in favour of my rival keeping her no.1 spot for 2 miserable weeks. steffi voted "no", and as a result that man got just what he wanted- monica out, and steffi as no.1.
did anybody else hear this story? how can anyone know this, and still like steffi? I just don't understand.

·
Registered
25,495 Posts
I am also Monica's fans and I understand how you feel and shared some of your views but this Monica-Steffi debate had happened many many times in the old WTA message board and lead to many fights and unhappy feelings, may be you should let it go, just my opinion.

by the way, we have a Selestials forum here, please join :D and welcome abroad :D

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
What Miranda said.

Plus, for the record, Gabriella Sabatini voted to keep the #1 spot for Monica. She was the only top 10 player to do so, but her classy act should not be forgotten.

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,876 Posts
It sounds nice and simple-cut and dry, but there's probably a lot more to that story that we don't know. Like agents saying "don't do that, you'll lose thousands of dollars because it'll bump you down a ranking"(endorsement contracts are often tied to rankings). If I remember, there was more than one type of ranking or co-ranking discussed, and Monica DID have a protected rank on her return.

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
I hadn't heard the estimate of how long Monica would be out was so short. 2-3 weeks is a very short period of time. You're out longer with a sprained ankle. I'm not sure I'd have voted to break precedent and allow Monica to keep her ranking either. In fact, I probably wouldn't have. She'd won 6 of the last 8 GS titles at that point, and three weeks off wasn't going to keep her out of the #1 spot more than a couple of minutes. She was by far the best player inthe world and three weeks off wasn't going to change that.

I notice they gave her the #1 ranking when she returned 2-3 YEARS later. I don't KNOW the vote would have been different the 1st time had everyone known how serious things were. But three weeks off can't have seemed like a big deal at the time.

The original estimate for Monica's lost time was 2-3 weeks. Hmmm. You learn something new every day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, the estimate was 2-3 weeks. the physical injury wasn't very bad at all. they were only scratches. it was the mental aspect that was going to be the problem, but they didn't know that then. and yes, those 2-3 weeks were crucial. the point race was very close then, that's why the guy stabbed her- he knew that not winning that title would result in her losing the no.1 spot to steffi. anyway, I didn't know you already discussed this subject, and I'm sorry for bringing it up again.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
I've never hear 2-3 weeks. My understanding was more like 6-9 months. Anyhow, this is probably a topic to avoid.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
Actually Sabatini didn't vote yes she abstained meanign she didn't vote at all!

G

·
Steffi didn't vote either way. She also abstained. So, the information this poster has is WRONG!!!!

In fact, Steffi said she didn't care what the WTA decided to do. Co-#1 was fine with her and that's exactly what happen when Monica did return.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I was a Steffi fan before 93 and if I had let my life control because of what some freaking idiot did then I would have been a hypocrite
that`s all I have to say about it!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Stefanie did not vote so she cannot be accused of being "against" Monica or not wanting Monica to keep her ranking. Besides, EVERY player who voted gave a resounding NO so why are you concentrating on Steffi?:confused: Even the "nice" Mary Joe Fernandez (who is now Monica's friend) voted no.

Before 1993, Monica was a very unpopular player among the other players. None of the them liked her. This was mostly because of jealousy, but then, it always is.:(

Enough of this topic.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
No doctor in his right mind would suggest that Monica ought to return to the tour after 2-3 weeks - the knife was pretty close to her spine from what I understand and that sounds pretty serious to me.

Thank you to saki for remembering Gabriela Sabatini's class re:no.1 ranking vote :)

I was always under the impression that Steffi voted with the rest of the top twenty but I can accept that I am wrong.

Interestingly, from what I remember there was a lot of objection to Monica being co-ranked no.1 when she returned - I believe that was from Conchita and ASV (not Graf) but I'm not sure if that's correct either.

In conclusion : Gabriela Sabatini and Monica Seles are the greatest :)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
It was probably the worst moment in sports apart from those athletes getting murdered by terrorists at the Olympics. But in a feeble attempt to defend those whose actions are largely undefendable (unless greed is a defense), two factors were involved:

(1) This had never happened before and many top players were just as vulnerable as Monica and had had their fair share of nut-job "fan" letters and stalkers. The event was so horrible, I can see players downplaying it because they didn't want to face the reality that it, too, could happen to them; and
(2) The press at the time was that Monica's physical injuries "weren't that bad." I recall Chris Evert saying it was a shame it happened before two Slams, the thought being that in a few months (not a few weeks) she'd be ok physically to play. And it was not a "scratch," the knife penetrated about an inch, and very close to her spine that would have paralyzed her). I think everyone thought she'd be back in a few months, the Monica of old. Everyone GROSSLY underestimated the mental toll that attack took on her, but to their "credit" if I can use that, it had never happened before, and Monica was pretty fearless at the time. None had been stabbed, so no one knew what it was like mentally. Maybe they thought she'd be back shortly.

Well, lame, but I'd like to think the WTA and its players weren't totally evil! Also, a lot has been made that Martina Navratilova was instrumental in Monica's return. That is a fact that Martina visited her and got her back on track. But only after Martina had retired. People heap loads of scorn on Steffi for not helping Monica, but Martina was herself a Top 10 player at the time, did she vote against Monica? I'm not trying to trash Martina, but it seems she might be lumped with everyone else. I see too much "Satan Graf" "Angel Navratilova" -- enough of that! Martina was just as much a tough competitor as Graf (maybe more so ?), both did and would overlook "hard knocks," imo, to boost their own records. Monica did mention in her book that she attended the '93 U.S. Open opening ceremonies and ASV was the only player to actually take time to talk with her. Another tid-bit.

As far as ASV and Conchita go, I have no idea, but I do know that Conchita sued Ellesse (?) one of her sponsors for not honoring the bonus section of her contract to the effect that if she reached No. 2, she'd get $500K or something. Ellesse didn't pay it because Monica and Steffi were co-No-1 and Conchita, though making it to No. 2 in the computer rankings, Ellesse said she was no better than "2.5" because of the co-ranking of Steffi and Monica. I read it in Tennis, that rag sheet, that Conchita lost. The "2.5" argument won I guess. But I don't think the lawsuit was anything against Monica, it was cheeky Conchita trying to cash in! Hey, more power to Conchita, I should have represented her on a contingency!

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
true, they thought she would be back soon again(I remember a day after they even said wimbledon), people overlook mental issues with ease.
one week you can cry and they are nice to you
second week you can still cry but people are already a little bit less nice
in the third week they get annoyed when you still cry
and in week 4 you should have forgotten it and go on!

sorry but that`s the way this world works and it sucks
:fiery:

·
Registered
610 Posts
I saw an interview with Arantxa in 1995 where she said, that Steffi don't give Monica the Number one when she wants to return on the tour. Arantxa said that she gived Monica the Number two if she wants return to the WTA Tour in 1995....So Monica become the Co after all.

In 1993, they was 18 of 20 best players and all voted AGAINST Monica. Just Gaby DIDN'T vote at all....

·
Registered
65 Posts
What seems to be occuring here is that a lot people are commenting on an issuethat they know very little about and the information that they have is either hearsay or secondhand information. It is cruel to judge others based on this information in my opinion.

Monica's injuries were not life threatening, although the mental aspect of it could have been bad, We will never know. The media has successfully used some people like pawns in this debate to support whichever side of the issue they wish to present to us. This issue has been so manipulated. I refuse to be a pawn in all of this.

I find it strange that Mary Joe Fernandez who voted against Monica is now her friend and a player who refrained from voting is seen in a different light by some. Jealousy I guess will cause even the most rational to think and act irrationally.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Well, Monica's injury was very dangerous for her godness.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
well how many times and Steffi was not critised for not naming Monica after the french open final, while Mary Joe did neither and nobody cared!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts