Here's my list:

Barbara Schett
Iva Majoli
Elena Likhovtseva
Magui Serna
Amy Frazier
Anna Kournikova
Lisa Raymond (as a singles player)
Daja Bedanova (young as she is, will the break through EVER come?)
Denisa Chladkova
Cara Black
Mary Pierce (not helped by injuries admittedly)

...had it not been for improved performances last year, Schnyder, Maleeva and Rubin would have also made the list.

I suppose this list could go on and on. I mean, why shouldn't Monica Seles, for example, be on the list? Or even Lindsay Davenport. Why haven't I added them?

Well I guess I'm just thinking of players who've been around for so many years making up the numbers, and seem to have lost ambition. They almost seem to be playing out of routine more than for any other reason.

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And please dcn't anybody mention the 1999 Wimbledon semi-finalist who lost to Graf.

If you don't know her name, I won't say it. She never even played often enough or won often enough to develop a routine on the tour.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I don't think you should include players that have already reached their potential (Seles, Pierce, even Majoli) because they have things that very few do -Slams.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Keith said:
I don't think you should include players that have already reached their potential (Seles, Pierce, even Majoli) because they have things that very few do -Slams.
And IVA did win a tier 1 last year.

·
Registered
8,179 Posts
Magui and Denisa really seem to be getting things under wraps. They are both having really great years and while neither of them are going to win grand slams in their careers, I feel like they've both gone somewhere this year.

I might add Anne Kremer to that list, also. She had a really good start to last year, but she couldn't build on it at all and then she got injured and she's been sort of streaky. She sort of reminds me of Bedanova in that sense.

Alexandra Stevenson probably could go up there too.

Seles, Majoli, and Davenport shouldn't be there - they've clearly done great things already, so how can "going nowhere" include winning grand slams or tier Is?

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
It depends how you look at it. I dont call maintaining a place in the top 100 people in the world at my profession 'going nowhere'. theres only room for ten people in the top ten, it doesnt make everyone else a failure.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
How about Irina Spirlea? I was impressed with her play for a while.. now she's just disappeared

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
didn't she retire to raise her son? that ol turkey. ;)

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
I hope Cara can at least win a grand slam in doubles.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I assume you're talking about Alexandra Stevenson... man what a flash in the pan ! That girl has a mega-ego for nooooooooooooooooo reason IMHO

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
I don't think Alex has kids... :confused:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
no cario... Alex doesn't have kids or if she does it's news to me :) I was talking about greffe seles's (sp ?) post about the 1999 wimby finalist...

·
Banned
382 Posts
i dont know what you mean by going nowhere,
i say reaching TOP 100 in the world is somewhere,
many will just be happy enough if they can
play Slam qualies.........
some of them will never be like Serena/Martina,
but this is still their career.......
so dont put them down just coz they
dont exact "qualify" as your TOP players......

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
lol c2....steffica was talking about Lucic I believe ;)

Reactions: Gowza

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
Likhovtseva has won a lot of doubles titles, I think. She seemed to start winning them around the same time her singles ranking dropped.

·
Registered
12,551 Posts
daja :sad: she came through as a big talent in 2000 winning her first WTA title and of course in 2001 reaching the 4th round AO and the quarters at the US open beating monica seles . Early in 2002 she reached #18 . everything has gone downhill since :(

elena :mad: another waste of talent ( in singles at least )

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
c2 said:
How about Irina Spirlea? I was impressed with her play for a while.. now she's just disappeared
Irina retired 2 or 3 years ago. :)

Stevenson and Raymond are my main candidates. Some of the players listed have not gone "nowhere", they have gone DOWN. So I don't count them. And I don't count players whose rankings are like yoyos, UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN, like Elena Bovina. :eek:
But AS and LR are always hanging about in the exact same section of the rankings, neither climbing nor falling. In fact, going nowhere!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts