Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
62,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Impressive stuff from both players. Bencic really stepped it up from 5-6* in the first set and was the better player from then on.
But actually both played more than decently. I like this Belinda a lot more than the one from Australia!

·
Registered
112,988 Posts
both sets were close. Sveta just didnt finish well in either

·
Registered
17,600 Posts
Good tennis from both. Not sure how BB got out of that first set—Sveta was playing confidently.

·
Registered
40,102 Posts
Bencic played much better than I thought, kuznetsova was good! But she didn’t take her chances, should’ve served the first set out and had two break points to try to get back into it, way more errors from Sveta today as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
It was never really in doubt though despite the score swinging back and forth. Sveta always competes well, but she was pretty much on the defense most of the time. Didn't get enough depth or was meters behind the baseline when it mattered.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sad to see one has to lose. Both were playing well with many interesting rallies.

Belinda was much better than her other matches this year. Hitting the balls with more authority and precision.

I really wish Sveta wins one more FO before she retires.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Impressive stuff from both players. Bencic really stepped it up from 5-6* in the first set and was the better player from then on.
But actually both played more than decently. I like this Belinda a lot more than the one from Australia!
OP pls correct 2nd set score of thread title to be 6-4 :)

·
Registered
83,498 Posts

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Will be interesting to see if Belinda can maintain her top 10 ranking this year, the pressure is on.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Wow, I'm impressed with Belinda's level of offense. She kept Kuznetsova on the back foot pretty much whenever it mattered, in a way that Brady, with her giant forehand, simply couldn't. Bodes well as she has her single biggest points to defend this month. It's odd to see her in the #4 spot of the live rankings, but she has a decent shot at defending some of those big points in Dubai/Doha.

Hope Kuznetsova takes the positives from the week: an impressive win over Brady that shows she still has extra gears, and a first career victory in front of her father. Hoping for a big spring from her. Launch into clay with some form.

Very much agree. She was taking the ball early and dictating play, and doing so without playing especially high-risk tennis.

Bencic baffles me sometimes. I'm reminded of some of the stories we hear in the States about the difficulty of scouting for baseball talent: you look for a high school or college player but you can't go to more than one or two games, so if they happen to go 1 for 4 that day (which is respectable but not impressive in baseball) and you don't see them demonstrating what they are capable of, you don't get the hype.

Bencic is like that. She shows form a few times a year that is just dazzling, the effortless placement and early striking and the ability to move the ball around the court at all kinds of angles, but she rarely shows it often or when it matters. But none of her gifts are necessarily going to show up on any given day (unlike power hitters, exceptional movers, etc.) and so if you tell someone 'watch her, she's going to be big', and she throws in a ho-hum day, it leads to a collective shrug.

I think that's some of why she has a sizable group of detractors on here. Enough people have seen her play dazzling tennis to have the word out to watch her, but then she doesn't deliver when the second wave watches, and so there's a little backlash.

Eh, whatever, this is too long a post on an R16 match, but I refuse to engage with the bizarre spate of Graf threads, so here we are!

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
BB knows how to come alive indoors - she made the finals here 4 years ago. She really stepped in today to try and dictate the rallies - executed her game plan well. She had plenty of opportunities to move forward to the net but she’s obvious confident playing closer to the baseline.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
BB knows how to come alive indoors - she made the finals here 4 years ago. She really stepped in today to try and dictate the rallies - executed her game plan well. She had plenty of opportunities to move forward to the net but she’s obvious confident playing closer to the baseline.

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
Bencic :love:

Glad to see her in better form. It seems she plays more aggressive now. Good !

Kuz 🤷

·
Registered
52,809 Posts

·
Registered
52,809 Posts

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
Bencic baffles me sometimes. I'm reminded of some of the stories we hear in the States about the difficulty of scouting for baseball talent: you look for a high school or college player but you can't go to more than one or two games, so if they happen to go 1 for 4 that day (which is respectable but not impressive in baseball) and you don't see them demonstrating what they are capable of, you don't get the hype.

Bencic is like that. She shows form a few times a year that is just dazzling, the effortless placement and early striking and the ability to move the ball around the court at all kinds of angles, but she rarely shows it often or when it matters. But none of her gifts are necessarily going to show up on any given day (unlike power hitters, exceptional movers, etc.) and so if you tell someone 'watch her, she's going to be big', and she throws in a ho-hum day, it leads to a collective shrug.

I think that's some of why she has a sizable group of detractors on here. Enough people have seen her play dazzling tennis to have the word out to watch her, but then she doesn't deliver when the second wave watches, and so there's a little backlash.

Eh, whatever, this is too long a post on an R16 match, but I refuse to engage with the bizarre spate of Graf threads, so here we are!
haha. tennisforum should pay you to post here.

This is why I've always been quiet about Bencic. She's gifted for sure and has a really good sense of what she wants to be doing on the court (love her approach intent for instance), but she hasn't "got it together", not yet. She reminds me so much of Lucas Pouille on the men's tour in this regard.

Personally there are so bits of her game to iron out. She hits the ball well but I feel her FH swing has too much takeback at times. She also could deal a bit better with variety (when ball pace or trajectory changes) - great when cutting off angles, not so much when the ball travels deep down the middle where her shots become a little floaty and vulnerable. She is also prone to being battered down by an on song hitter - defense and movement decent but not top gear; finds herself in "no man's land" a bit more often than not relative to say a Halep or Wozniacki when under assault. And of course attitude is a big one. She is still young so there's time to improve. The SF she made at USO (despite losing) is a good step to build on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts