Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
20,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
huge win for the Russian, after beating Timea Bacsinzsky.

She hit over 45 winners (twice that of Garcia) very composed for the most part despite failing to serve it out once.

Only 18 years old too. Good serve, pretty heavy shots, reacts well.

·
Registered
16,143 Posts
St. Petersburg R2: (Q) Elena Rybakina def. (3) Caroline Garcia, 46 76(6) 76(5)

Elena played really well from what I saw, was hitting with so much power and precision :worship:

Of course, she made some wrong shot selections at times -- but this is understandable for an 18 year old.

Garcia was quite bad though, made quite errors but sometimes she was just outplayed by the youngster. She served for the match once in the second set and was 4-0 up in the second set TB :help:

18 years old and makes a Premier QF :worship:

That MP call, though... idk if Garcia was right or not but it looked like the umpire made the right call to me. Wouldn't have made a difference tbh.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Good match overall, that ending though... :help:

I think Rybakina would have won, but still feel Garcia was robbed of a replay on that point.

·
Registered
20,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stats:

Caroline :hug: had more pts but couldn't close out and drama on MP call. But I think Rybakina deserved the win over all

Good match overall, that ending though... :help:

I think Rybakina would have won, but still feel Garcia was robbed of a replay on that point.
it's tough but I would probably have still gone the way of the umpire had I been calling. If Garcia got the ball back in play, then I'd go replay for sure. But the shot from Rybakina was very good and Garcia was stretched maximally, high chance of a forced error anyhow.

·
Registered
16,195 Posts
ST Petersburg R2 Rybakina.def Garcia 4-6 7-6(6) 7-6(5)

what a.win
Rybakina.good composure in big moments.

Last point somebody called.out.. Umpire.dumb.like ususal.

·
Premium Member
181,854 Posts
UMpire made a mess of it

Rybakina :inlove: QF at a WTA event :hearts:

Julie Kjendlie :facepalm:

Reactions: Veesus Christ

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
Congrats to Rybakina!! I think she would likely have won the match anyway, but I agree with Jenny that Garcia deserved a replay on that match point. Very tough way to go out (especially for a #3setqueen lol).

Rybakina is a huge talent. She was better at ROS the entire match and her own serve and power hitting were amazing.

Garcia played just fine, not amazing though after the 1st set given her peak level. What's missing for her seems to be that sense of urgency in her movement on the court. I think at the end of last year she was REALLY gunning hard for that 8th Singapore spot (playing through injuries, fatigue, and back-to-back tournament wins). She was chasing everything down. Tonight she seemed slightly flat footed at times and wasn't scrambling as well as she can.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've never seen Rybakina play before but I found her refreshing in terms of no screeching, no histrionics, very self assured for a young player. Is she always like that?

·
Premium Member
41,975 Posts
Caroline had a match point in the first tie breaker. Just had to go for her forehand down the line, but didn't (went out). Her dad was taking his head in his hands out of despair.

Oh well, she may need to rest a bit.

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
If the out call from the linesperson was before Garcia hitting the ball, shouldn't it have been a replay after the overrule?
Was Kjendlje arguing that Garcia had already struck the ball and therefore there was no hinderance by the wrong call?

·
Registered
114,479 Posts
That was a crazy ending! Should have replayed it

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
And they said Garcia wasn't a BBB any more :lol:

Lovely easy power from Rybakina, and her FH is a really consistent shot too - good to see a young player use power without hitting wildly. Really strong when she had to save BPs too, she had very few easy service games - and then to rebound from failing to serve it out to play such a strong TB.

There probably should have been a replay of the last point but I don't think Garcia would have got it back in court anyway, and I didn't think it was very sporting of her to keep Rybakina waiting for the handshake for so long, especially considering it was Rybakina's best win of her career in front of her home crowd. Soured the moment a bit.

·
Premium Member
66,174 Posts
IMO it was the correct decision. On the replay it was clear that the umpire corrected the out call from the line judge, which is why it was Garcia who challenged and it seemed like the call was indeed just after Garcia had struck the ball.

Liked Rybakina's game but I could never support someone who has literally shown zero emotion en route to a Premier QF.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Garcia was right about matchpoint. They should have replayed it. But still a great match from Rybakina, I'm impressed by her serve and forehand.

·
Registered
11,397 Posts
Cool as a cucumber, easy power and precision and very composed on the court despite any circumstances...yup, that's the new russian Davenport on display here ladies and gents:bowdown:

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
Liked Rybakina's game but I could never support someone who has literally shown zero emotion en route to a Premier QF.
She smiled a bit at the end :lol:
She seems so cool, I love it.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts