Tennis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Donna has certain players against who she can play million times and lose each time, even though she should be doing way better.
Siniakova and Flipkens for example.

Congrats to Siniakova, this could be great year for her.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I like the new aggressive serving mentality. 10 aces (with 6 DF) and she's mixing in the S&V a lot more this year.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Donna has certain players against who she can play million times and lose each time
yes about 80% of the top 100.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I don't know how anyone could watch a match like this and not think Siniakova was just the far, far better tennis player. So many more dimensions to her game.

Vekic's rallying ability has improved to the point of existence over the past year, at least.

·
35,489 Posts
I don't know how anyone could watch a match like this and not think Siniakova was just the far, far better tennis player. So many more dimensions to her game.

Vekic's rallying ability has improved to the point of existence over the past year, at least.
Totally agree. Vekic was only in the match due to loss of concentration from Katka in the 2nd. The first set was utter destruction from Katka. I really didn't feel Vekic upped her level on anything during the match. She is a poor poor man's Ivanovic imo (for now at least. Maybe she can improve in the future).

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Totally agree. Vekic was only in the match due to loss of concentration from Katka in the 2nd. The first set was utter destruction from Katka. I really didn't feel Vekic upped her level on anything during the match. She is a poor poor man's Ivanovic imo (for now at least. Maybe she can improve in the future).
And yet their careers are absolutely comparable.

Also lol @ the "utter destruction" in a set where she actually had to recover a break :lol:

·
35,489 Posts
I had so much time on my hand so I calculated Katka's 1st serve speeds during the match. :lol:

- Down the T/middle serve: 179, 160, 182, 181, 175, 165, 182, 161, 184, 185, 171, 176, 187, 182, 186, 180, 180, 183, 160, 177, 180, 174, 176, 174, 174, 174, 188 (fastest serve), 177, 172 - Average speed: 177kmh

- Slice out-wide serve (Duece side): 139, 147, 153, 148, 159, 147, 148 - Average speed: 149kmh

- Flat out-wide serve (Ad side): 166, 153, 165, 159, 167, 153, 170, 170, 159, 171, 160, 165 - Average speed: 163kmh

- Body serve (middle of the box): 169, 178, 171, 165, 163 - Average speed: 169kmh

- Total Average 1st serve speed: 169kmh

- In AO, her average 1st serve speed was 156kmh (vs Svitolina) which is a big difference compared to the number above. I guess the sun in AO affected her serving. Playing indoors makes a big difference obviously.

·
35,489 Posts
And yet their careers are absolutely comparable.

Also lol @ the "utter destruction" in a set where she actually had to recover a break :lol:
Did you watch the match? She totally outplayed Donna after 1-2 in the first set. They were close in the rest of the match tho. Regarding their careers, they are only 21. :lol: But I see way more potential in Siniakova so I think she will have the better career pretty comfortably.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
An early exit for Vekic is always a good thing.
I don't care who beats her :devil:

·
Stanning for Andi
20,880 Posts
Siniakova's net game is one of the best on the tour IMO. I didn't see this match but she was serving and volleying very proficiently against Sharapova in Shenzhen and she wasn't afraid to employ the same tactics judging by the highlights. If she commits, she really should dominate the doubles tour in years to come.

Reactions: Haseo.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I exaggerated with the "utter destruction" part but all these BPs were saved by great play from Katka (3 of them saved with winners) and most of the points she had in the game were UEs by Katka. I felt Vekic didn't do much to take the match in her hands. The reason the 2nd set went fast is because Katka lost concentration more than anything. I thought Vekic was at the same level the whole match. She just doesn't strike me as someone with big potential. That's all really.
We will see who will have better career, players develop at different tempos.
I would still pick Vekic over Siniakova if both would be playing their best but since Katka has much better average level and obvious mental advantage, she wins this matchup for now.
We’ll agree to disagree I guess. ;)

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
We will see who will have better career, players develop at different tempos.
I would still pick Vekic over Siniakova if both would be playing their best but since Katka has much better average level and obvious mental advantage, she wins this matchup for now.
We’ll agree to disagree I guess. ;)
What precisely about Vekic's game do you think is better than anything in Siniakova's?

Siniakova has better touch, better accuracy, better net play, better point construction, better use of angles, a much better BH, a more reliable serve these days, just way more elements in her game.

Ironically it was Vekic who actually broke through first. She was the first 1996 girl to reach the top 100, when Siniakova wasn't even top 1000.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts