1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
congrats Lena for the 1st premier SF ♥
totally entertaining, heavy striking match
15 aces, 53 winners from Lena ♥

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
Very fun match to watch, just magnificent ballstriking from both, and an argument in favour of more indoor tournaments (or at least quicker courtspeeds). The first two sets arguably should have went the opposite way around given who was leading in each, but both managed to take them with some clutch comeback play.

Rybakina is very steady considering the huge pace and just has an incredibly calm and unaffected demeanour, and Dodin played one of the best matches on serve and return this year (maybe 2nd only to some of Collins' early performances in Australia), she was just swatting them away.

Unfortunately in the 3rd set she was clearly running out of gas and having trouble pushing off that left leg. She rued her missed opportunity with those two MPs and said as much in her OCC.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
save two match point... and turned the match in her favour !
great
Dodin missed the upset from little, and thinking too much about it in the third...
nice to see her back at this level

Lena was the superior player most part of the match, just lost some momentum on the first set

·
Registered
83,648 Posts
Great great coaching put Rybakina back on track. Happy she won this!!!

·
Registered
29,460 Posts
Both have very similar gamestyles actually. Lots of big hitting but Rybakina is just less prone to errors. Still, Dodin was pretty close. On that first MP she returned well and had some chances but once she missed it it felt like Rybakina was coming back. Great that Rybakina continues her impressive season.

·
Registered
83,648 Posts

·
Banned
2,412 Posts
That was prime 1st strike tennis. Oceane was playing great until set three. She is slow in movement but hits hard and has a strong serve to make up for it.

That clean thwack sound off Rybakina's racquet is pure Asmr though. I was impressed. Pretty good match overall. Rybakina is probably going to be this year's breakout star the way she is hitting and competing. She is ALL business and doesn't f*** around....I like that in a player.

Love this tournament; all that jazz, all those Eurotrash go-go dancers, the high asf bears, the LED dress. So much awesomeness in one tournament.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Sorry but if you are on my ignore list, I can't see your comments. However, Ed, nice to see you are still hooked on me.

Anyway, no. I knew full well that I was talking about Alexandrova. She would definitely hit shitra off the court. Don't get it twisted.
Huh??

·
Banned
2,412 Posts
I edited it. I meant to reply to Ed on another thread but had this comment open. Don't worry, it's basically the same. If you want to see it, go to the Petra withdraws thread and it will make sense. That's where I was replying to him ;)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Oceane started out very confidently and even earned a couple match points so it was a good job by Rybakina to hang tough.
She didn't show any frustration when a player she should be beating (by ranking) was putting up a very spirited resistance.
I only saw highlights but I'll agree with everyone that there were some entertaining rallies.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Playing tennis is good. But her personality is the same as a snale.
Sorry its my opinion.
She is a tennis player not an actress. I think most the young players tend to forget that. Then, they cannot handle the pressure of exposing her private life or their opinions about every single matter.

A good player with a low profile is a breath of fresh air to me. I hope Elena keeps this way and improving her tennis.

·
Registered
52,925 Posts
Well done, Lena! :love:

A very good tournament for Dodin.

·
Registered
52,925 Posts

·
Registered
52,925 Posts

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Stefano Vukov (Rybakina's coach) does not accept any whingeing from his charge. He gives it to her straight, he is critical when she is not playing to her ability, but he gives her good advice re what to do to change things. I saw a similar one to this when she was playing really badly against Lizette Cabrera in Hobart. But it works. On both occasions, Rybakina pulled her socks up, focussed and played much better and went on to win after one of these dressings down.

In this match her level really moved up from the middle of the second set when she was in danger of going down in straight sets ( a set and a break down). The end of the second set was really dicey but Dodin hesitated on the match points and fluffed them, whereas Rybakina played bravely and calmly in the crisis. In the third set, she played better and better whilst Dodin wilted to fall 4-0 down final set. Dodin recovered her form towards the end but to win her last two service games but could not stop the Rybakina march to victory.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Oceane started out very confidently and even earned a couple match points so it was a good job by Rybakina to hang tough.
She didn't show any frustration when a player she should be beating (by ranking) was putting up a very spirited resistance.
I only saw highlights but I'll agree with everyone that there were some entertaining rallies.
This was a quality match - Dodin played some superb tennis especially in the first two sets, some wonderful running forehands and she serves so well (shame about the foot faults which came at a disastrous time in the second set). She should be proud of herself this week, she looks like she belongs in the top 50 again. Rybakina could enter the top 20 next week, she and fellow semi-finalist Alexandrova must have won the most non-slam matches this year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts