1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
totally Kiki was too erratic but she well saved 3 SPs in 2 games in the 2nd
and raised her performance level in the 2nd set tiebreaker
incredible point in the tiebreaker at 5-2 :hatoff:
Potapova was better player in most of the 2nd set but went wild too often in those BPs

·
Registered
40,102 Posts
48 unforced errors from Bertens but she managed to comeback and win

Also she sounds like wozniacki when she talks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83,499 Posts
Good match from both, in the end, experience prevails

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
A tad more patience and Potato could have taken that to a third and it probably would have been over for Kiki.

But Kiki goes on.She surely won't play that badly again. Well, she won't get away with against her next opponent if she does.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Good news for Potapova is that she improved so much since the Australian series.She served well her forehand looked so much better and solid , she did better on low ball and was quite consistent most of the match but she still can't solve her biggest problem since 3 years and it's an important one as she's struggling to win the big points and close it out when it matters.
That's the reason why she isn't in the top 50 yet.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Bertens continuing to be impressively consistent on the regular tour. She's a solid top 10 player for sure.

Potato had her chances, but she's still inexperienced.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
That point, that 23 shot rally which Kiki B won in the TB to make it 6-2.... one of the best rallies I have seen lately. Amazing stuff. Have to hand it to her for her unrelenting tenacity.

Next round it's Drova and Kiki has to bring her A+ game. Should be quite the contest!

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Wow, what a tough match was that. :eek: Kiki was weirdly unfocused and her offensive footwork went off the boil for a while. Meanwhile Potapova was flying all over the court, fighting her heart out to get everything back and turn defense to offense. I didn't know she could defend this well tbh. Didn't make a lot of obvious mistakes either for large stretches of the match. I agree with others she at least deserved a set today for her efforts.

But also proud of Kiki. A lot of players would have let go of that second set at 2-5. But Kiki stepped up, played a bit more aggressive to take away time from Potapova and she was, taken the whole match into account, ridiculously icy calm in the tiebreak.

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
I fell asleep when Potato was quite far ahead in the 3rd set (it was like 4am here), so I missed the comeback!

But really impressed with Kiki's point construction and patience in the parts of this match that I saw considering she was under assault for large parts of it. She's becoming one of the best at turning defence into attack.

Even more impressed by Potato who is never usually this consistent, she seems to be quicker and hitting with even more pace than usual. Not sure where this form suddenly came from but she is never usually this good at staying in the rallies! Was redirecting effortlessly too.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Bertens is now heavy favourite on paper to win this tournament and defend her title, with Bencic out & Kvitova’s withdrawal.

We are in the era where underdogs thrive which means off paper, Bertens will probably lose her semi-final! Although I hope she makes the final.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts