Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at least GOATra showed up in 1st set tiebreaker and last of the match
it took 30 minutes in only first 2 games of the 2nd set :eek:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
2nd set was complete domination from Alison Van but great that Petra came back strong and took the final set.

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
Those first two games of the second set were such a drag. Petra started to look more and more cynical with every miss and after an obvious umpiring mistake, corrected by her challenge, she even commented on the umpire with a ''you didn't see that?''. Don't see that sort of things often from Petra. She looked more relieved the game was finally over than annoyed she was broken. ?

AVU played very well in that second set, didn't miss much, stayed in the rallies and had a keen eye on Petra's serve. I didn't see the third, glad Petra could turn it around. (y)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
It took Petra a while to settle into this match. It’s a court that suits the ball strikers and you could see her game starting to come together In the third. AVU is talented, but this match is a classic example of why she’s not higher ranked. She didn’t take her chance and crumbled a bit when Petra raised her level in the TB and the third. I liked the way she attacked Petra’s second serve and retrieved a lot, but ultimately didn’t seem to have the belief.

Petra without Jiri has to work thing out herself. It worked in Stuttgart last year, but Alexandrova is playing very well and will be full of self belief playing at home.
i remember last year here for Petra, totally exhausted and jet lagged after losing in the Aus Open final and she absolutely walloped the ball, getting all her frustrations out in the first set against Vika. She then woke from her rage haze and almost lost it!
As a fan, I hope she can replicate the Melbourne performance against Alexandrova which was possibly her best at the AO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts