1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
In the meantime it's already gone to at least 190 death and 400 injured. Edit and while I was still typing I see now it's 207 and 450.

It's so useless and disgusting.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Horrible news. In India such places like hotels have high security for that reason. This is quite similar to the NZ terror attack. Both in places where you don't expect it/people aren't prepared for it. Although it seems that the police in Sri Lanka knew a week beforehand of this being planned, but they probably didn't have the resources to prevent it.

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
This is exactly what makes one sceptical about the peaceful cohabitation of people in multi-religious or multicultural societies. They simply breed too many extremists.

A few weeks ago we had a white Australian guy massacring a mosque in NZ in response to Islamic attacks in Europe.

Now we have a massive attack at Christians during their most important holiday.

Acc. to the news, Sri Lanka's religious affiliations are broken down as follows:

70% Buddhism
13% Hinduism
10% Islam
7.5% Christianity

Will be interesting to see who's behind this latest atrocity.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Is this Islamic terror?

Sri Lanka's Police Chief Warned About Deadly Attacks 10 Days Before – Reports

"A foreign intelligence agency has reported that the NTJ (National Thowheeth Jama'ath) is planning to carry out suicide attacks targeting prominent churches as well as the Indian high commission in Colombo", it reportedly read.

The NTJ is a radical Muslim group in Sri Lanka that came into the spotlight after it was linked to vandalism of Buddhist monuments in the country, where Buddhism is the predominant religion.

https://sputniknews.com/asia/201904211074323270-sri-lanka-attack-warning/

·
Registered
12,912 Posts
This is exactly what makes one sceptical about the peaceful cohabitation of people in multi-religious or multicultural societies. They simply breed too many extremists.

A few weeks ago we had a white Australian guy massacring a mosque in NZ in response to Islamic attacks in Europe.

Acc. to the news, Sri Lanka's religious affiliations are broken down as follows:

70% Buddhism
13% Hinduism
10% Islam
7.5% Christianity

You are suggesting that multi-religious communities are more violent and that isn't true.

The majority of people killed by radical Islamic groups are Muslims living in majority Muslim countries. Majority Muslim countries like Somalia, Pakistan, and Afghanistan are much more dysfunctional but the lives lost there don't make the same headlines as when attacks happen elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
You are suggesting that multi-religious communities are more violent and that isn't true.

The majority of people killed by radical Islamic groups are Muslims living in majority Muslim countries. Majority Muslim countries like Somalia, Pakistan, and Afghanistan are much more dysfunctional but the lives lost there don't make the same headlines as when attacks happen elsewhere.
He was doing the same thing in the New Zealand mosque thread. https://www.tennisforum.com/13-non-tennis/1335365-49-people-dead-terrorist-attack-two-mosques-new-zeland-7.html#post81276311

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
This ruined my day. I am still in a bad mood.
BBC is reporting a death toll up to 290 now.
I don't know anybody there but this is so much senseless carnage.
It's exhausting just to keep hearing about this kind of thing.
I can't imagine what victims and their relatives are going through right now.
We need a meteor, badly. Hopeless specie. Earth made a mistake.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Horrible news. In India such places like hotels have high security for that reason. This is quite similar to the NZ terror attack. Both in places where you don't expect it/people aren't prepared for it. Although it seems that the police in Sri Lanka knew a week beforehand of this being planned, but they probably didn't have the resources to prevent it.
I visited Colombo a while back, they do still have security and police security points all over the city, hotels, etc since they emerged from the war. The issue may be the constant vigilance which sometimes fails due to negligence.

Sad for the loss of lives.

·
Premium Member
38,900 Posts

70% Buddhism
13% Hinduism
10% Islam
7.5% Christianity

And why do you think that's due to cohabitation of people in multi-religious and multi-cultural societies that actually learn to accept each other simply for getting to know and be aware of each other? The simple thought that cultures and religions should stay divided, in being distant and ignorant of each other, to be more tolerant of each other, is wrong reasoning. It's rather due to the extremism that is expressed on the net (an accelerator of worldwide hate I'm afraid), and due to extreme acts reacting to other extreme ones... Locally or worldwide, there's only one responsible: hate and fear (the udders of what is wrong in the human world), and nobody should feed them.

Terrorism isn't due to cohabitation. It's a radicalist thing that goes against cohabitation. That's quite the opposite!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts