221 - 240 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Game 287 - Prev. Un-Nominated

The Comsat Angel - "Free Falling"

SF: 13th ; F: DNQ​

Prev. Un-Nominated vol. XX was the next game. I needed to search for this game. In the end, YTB recommended me this great band The Comsat Angels. "Falling" is the track where you can here rock getting combined with another genre and made it a memorable 80's track. For those who did not find it like me, listen to their discography and you might change your decision. It was only 13th in a bland semi, so a game to forget.

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #222 (Edited)
Game 288 - Video Games

Nobuo Uematsu - "Dancing Mad" part: Kefka

SF: DIRECT FINAL ; F - 7th​

It was one of my favourite games. Easily. I can say that I am a gamer, but not the pro. I went with one classic editorial FFVI and thought of submitting "Terra", but I knew "Terra" is well-known. Nobuo Uematsu never failed to deliver. <3 As I wrote in the thread, I just could not believe that Kefka was one of the easiest bosses, but before him you had Demons, Men and Angels that were more powerful than him. :lol:

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
New updates soon!!!

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
Game 289 - Scrabble​

Jane Birkin - "Quoi"

SF: 3rd ; F - 11th

Scrabble was the next theme. We had to find the song title that contains the letters from the game "Scrabble" that worth a lot of points. I chose the song with Q as the starting letter. Jane Birkin is the mother of Charlotte Gainsbourg and she had nice pop songs. A cute song "Quoi" is. Flopping in the finals was bad, but what can we do, the life goes on.​

·
Premium Member
39,363 Posts
^ always loved that song. Lyrics are by Gainsbourg, but not the music. It was Jane's best hit not composed by Gainsbourg, back in 1985. Only time Jane seemed to be able to fly to a solo career without her pygmalion, but that wasn't going to happen. When Gainsbourg discovered the full song by Jane, he was moved to tears. It tells about their break up. "Quoi" means "What". If I translate it starts like

What?
Only ashes would remain of our crazy love?
I,
would like to stop the earth to get off

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
^ always loved that song. Lyrics are by Gainsbourg, but not the music. It was Jane's best hit not composed by Gainsbourg, back in 1985. Only time Jane seemed to be able to fly to a solo career without her pygmalion, but that wasn't going to happen. When Gainsbourg discovered the full song by Jane, he was moved to tears. It tells about their break up. "Quoi" means "What". If I translate it starts like

What?
Only ashes would remain of our crazy love?
I,
would like to stop the earth to get off
As long as many critics would say Serge was the mastermind for all their hits, I truly believe that Jane would have had more space and better music if Serge was not under her neck all the time. Yes, I like their songs as well, but she would have had more success as a solo act.

·
Premium Member
39,363 Posts
As long as many critics would say Serge was the mastermind for all their hits, I truly believe that Jane would have had more space and better music if Serge was not under her neck all the time. Yes, I like their songs as well, but she would have had more success as a solo act.
Who knows. "Quoi" is really a wonder. Her voice isn't always perfect on any song but here she just sounds perfect. Jane didn't write and compose, and would have probably never sung if Serge hadn't pushed her, back in 1969. She wanted to be an actress first and foremost.

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #228 (Edited)
Game 290 - Side Dish​

Electronic - "Forbidden City"

SF: 1st ; F - 1st

"SIDE DISH"

Side projects, solo songs from people in bands (preferably while they were still in that band), supergroups, artists recording under a different monicker, featurings on other people's records etc. Basically any output that was released in a different context/under a different name than what the artist is usually known for.

Examples for this would be: Electronic (Pet Shop Boys, New Order, The Smiths), Tin Machine (David Bowie), The Travelling Wilburys (Roy Orbison, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne etc.), Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes (TLC), Gorillaz (Blur), Panda Bear (Animal Collective), Polygon Window (Aphex Twin)." said Beat. I knew that Adam had nominated Electronic only and that song's placement in the final was pretty low. Electronic is side project formed by New Order singer Bernard Sumner and ex-Smiths guitarist Johnny Mar. They were collaborating with Pet Shop Boys Chris Tennant and Chris Lowe, as well as with Kraftwerk Karl Bartos.

What a great song. This band knew what they did, but it did not last for too long (not popular)...

"Forbidden City" finished first in this game! I do believe that they thought it's their best song from debut album and I made the great choice. This was my eighth BSG win. After that, I did not have much success. As I always say, it's important to participate and if someone likes that song, that's just a huge bonus. I knew that I did something right.

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Game 291 - Parent Trap​

Stephanie Mills - "I Never Knew Love Like This Before"

SF: 6th ; F: 5th

Next game was Parent Trap. So we needed to choose a song that one of my parents like to listen to. Because I have only one parent alive, I choose something that my mom likes. She has an interesting catalogue, but I really don't like traditional pop or folk Romanian music. I mean, I am usually vomiting so hard when I hear the first note of any of those songs. She explained me that those songs are an invitation to "joc". I am even worse dancer.
So, I went with something I am familiar with, since I watched that movie with her and she said that she really likes this song "I Never Knew Love Like This Before".

A sweet outcome, 5th place. I was even 6th in semis. Definitely surprised, as some people also had a great memory of the movie.​

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Game 292 - Open​

The Cure - "Disintegration"

SF: 3rd ; F: 2nd

It was an Open Game. I watched the youtube video of Garbage choosing their favourite albums and I think that Duke clearly said that The Cure's "Disintegration" is the one that inspires him the most. So that was my reason to enter this song. Also, the Open games are for vulturing, so I wanted to send it before anyone. Could have finished first, had I not give 12 to TR/ST (initially thought to give 10 like in SF, but I wanted to give it bonus points for standing out). At least I lost to my 12 by 1 point. 2nd place is great!

Reactions: The Crow

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #231 (Edited)
Game 293 - Wall Of Sound

Starsailor - "Silence Is Easy"

SF: 5th ; F: 12th​

Next game was "Wall Of Sound". Arthur chose this theme and he left to its own interpretation. I did not know what does this phrase mean, so I had to search. I found Phil Spector's "Wall Of Sound", which means many different instruments playing the same melody. I also found this song and submitted it. I liked it, especially singer's vocals.
The finish was alright, given how much most of players have been spamming the thread how my song was incompatible. :p I was disgusted with winning song, I must admit it.

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
Game 294 - Mathematician​

Her - "Union"

SF: 7th ; F: 20th​

Finally, another theme by me! I went with Mathematics since I truly wanted to see the song titles with any Math term. Nick, Matt and I had a fun posting all terms we had at that moment. :D
I went with Union, even if I don't like Group Theory that much. I gave a try to this song 2016, because it is better than other stuff I heard from that year. Still happy that my song qualified into the final! :D

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Game 295 - Stupid Intelligence​

Dolores O'Riordan - "Stupid"

SF: 9th ; F: 13th (non-voting)​

Next theme was "Stupid Intelligence". I had no idea if I knew any songs that would refer to "Stupidity" or "Intelligence" at all. So I searched for the song. I was sad when I heard about Dolores' death and tried to find her song that will satisfy the theme's curator idea. I found this song called "Stupid". Her voice and contribution will be so missed. RIP Dolores.

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #234 (Edited)
Game 296 - Red For Filth

Alan Jackson - "Like Red On A Rose"

SF: 7th ; F: 11th​

Next theme was Red For Filth. I thought the theme would only contain the trash of the highest order. Thankfully, Artur let us choose something with "Red" in the title. My choice was "Red On A Rose" by American country musician Alan Jackson. The song is very beautiful in itself and Alan Jackson's vocals are pure and I love them! It was 11th in the final which is fine. :)

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #235 (Edited)
Game 298 - Autumn Playslit

Voyage x Breskvica - "Vrati me"

SF: 11th ; F: DNQ​

Upcoming game was "Autumn Playlist". I nominated Voyage and Breskvica, because I was in that mood and listening to them on daily basis of that rainy autumn. They are young and promising talents (Voyage - Mihajlo is more promising as producer than singer) and Breskvica - Andjela is going to High Musical School and her voice is soothing. I hope she keeps on with singing, because she can do something. :) The song finished 11th in semis. I was happy with the votes because I did not expect it. They are big in Serbia, nowadays. I just wish that Mihajlo will stick to production job, I don't see him anymore as a singer, especially after Ami G Show fiasco. :p

Had to put the different video, because the one I submitted is restricted by admin's right.

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Game 299 - Sixties​

Keith West - "Sam"

SF: 13th ; F: DNQ​

Next game was Sixties. I have heard a lot of sixties songs and did not want to submit another psychedelia entry, so I wanted to go with pop-rock music, I hope I recalled it correctly. Here is the bibliography of Keith West. (Source: AllMusic)

If ever a "secret history" is written of British psychedelic rock, Keith West will surely have one of the leading roles. As the lead singer and principal songwriter of Tomorrow, he was a guiding force of one of the first and best British psychedelic bands, even if their one album (with a lineup that also featured Steve Howe in his pre-Yes days) was little heard beyond the London underground. West got his feet wet in the British Beat boom as singer in the obscure mod/R&B bands Four + 1 and the In Crowd, the latter of which evolved into Tomorrow after Steve Howe joined. While Tomorrow was still a going concern in 1967, West launched a simultaneous solo career, releasing a few solo singles (some of which also input from Howe) in the late '60s. The first of these, "Excerpt From a Teenage Opera," was an unexpectedly huge smash, reaching number two on the British charts during the summer of 1967.

"Teenage Opera," a convoluted story about the death of a grocer named Jack, was rather fruity in both lyrics and production (prominently featuring a too-cute children's chorus). But this ornately arranged slice of pop-psychedelia (with the accent heavily on the pop) had some moments of real grandeur, and has been said to have been an influence on Pete Townshend at a time when he was mulling over prospects for a rock opera of his own. The British press hyped the hit as part of a forthcoming full-length opera, but, in fact, nothing else had been written, and a projected double-album never materialized. West did release one more installment as a single, the even more rococo "Sam," a perhaps too-ambitious orchestral-psychedelic production that briefly made the British Top 40.

West's solo success hindered the career of the much less pop-oriented Tomorrow, who had yet to even release their album when "Teenage Opera" hit. Although West was far more interested in working with Tomorrow than staging whimsical pop-psych operettas, the difficulty in balancing the two concerns led to Tomorrow's premature demise in 1968. West did manage to release another solo single (unrelated to any operatic concept) and record some reasonably interesting unreleased material, which (as in his Tomorrow days) were frequently narrative character sketches of archetypically eccentric Brits. He hasn't done much recording since the early '70s, although he produced a few (unknown) bands, worked with his old partner Howe occasionally in the studio in the '90s, and produces music for television and radio commercials. He is one of the foremost cases of unrealized potential of the British '60s psychedelic scene.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Welp, the song finished 13th in its semi. A disappointing result, but I am happy that I discovered Keith West. Will consider his songs for the future use.

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #237 (Edited)
Game 300 - 5th Anniversary​

Love Unlimited Orchestra - "Love's Theme"

SF: 6th ; F: 17th​

Next game was "Fifth Anniversary"! Congrats to Adey, really, it was such a road and being resilient to many obstacles is something to be proud of! I went with "Love's Theme", because I love this game and wanted to go disco, because anniversary's games are usually huge and wanted to appeal more voters. I was happy when this song qualified, because it's a rare occasion where my song qualifies in a game with more than 40 players. :)

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #238 (Edited)
It's time to see who got the most points from me in last 52 editions.

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #239 (Edited)
The best receivers (52-week span)

1. @Adam 10 + 7 + 1 + 6 + 3 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 3 + 5 + 12 + 2 + 7 + 12 + 7 + 2 + 12 + 4 + 4 + 10 + 4 + 1 + 12 + 10 + 12 + 3 + 5 = 172
2. @aerosmash 8 + 10 + 7 + 10 + 8 + 7 + 10 + 4 + 7 + 7 + 7 + 2 + 6 + 7 + 10 + 1 + 10 + 4 + 12 + 1 + 1 + 12 + 8 + 3 = 162
3. @histery 5 + 8 + 10 + 4 + 2 + 1 + 7 + 10 + 10 + 12 + 4 + 5 + 12 + 10 + 7 + 8 + 6 + 6 + 10 + 7 + 3 + 10 = 157
4. @Mauriac 2 + 6 + 4 + 6 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 7 + 5 + 6 + 3 + 12 + 8 + 7 + 8 + 2 + 6 + 6 + 5 + 4 + 2 + 12 + 2 = 120
5. @Silent Bird 4 + 3 + 12 + 2 + 8 + 1 + 8 + 8 + 3 + 10 + 1 + 10 + 8 + 4 + 10 + 6 + 1 + 6 + 8 = 113
6. Matmagix 12 + 8 + 3 + 10 + 8 + 1 + 4 + 8 + 12 + 3 + 10 + 5 + 7 + 7 = 98
7. Beat 1 + 7 + 7 + 5 + 3 + 12 + 5 + 1 + 12 + 3 + 7 + 1 + 4 + 4 + 12 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 7 = 97
8. JMG 7 + 12 + 12 + 8 + 2 + 8 + 6 + 5 + 4 + 10 + 2 + 5 + 7 + 4 = 92
9. Shvedbarilescu 6 + 8 + 6 + 10 + 6 + 1 + 10 + 2 + 5 + 1 + 6 + 2 + 7 + 10 + 7 + 2 = 89
10. Perun 3 + 8 + 4 + 10 + 5 + 8 + 3 + 8 + 6 + 10 + 5 + 4 + 8 + 3 = 85
11. Boreas 12 + 4 + 4 + 3 + 1 + 4 + 12 + 3 + 12 + 12 + 8 + 7 = 82
12. Mustafina 3 + 8 + 12 + 12 + 5 + 4 + 1 + 1 + 12 + 10 + 8 = 76
13. The Crow 3 + 10 + 3 + 5 + 8 + 3 + 3 + 7 + 3 + 7 + 4 + 2 + 7 + 6 = 71
14. Sammo 5 + 2 + 1 + 4 + 8 + 3 + 7 + 10 + 6 + 8 + 7 + 5 + 2 = 68
15. Number19 2 + 12 + 7 + 5 + 6 + 2 + 6 + 10 + 6 + 5 + 4 = 65
Fortitude 12 + 6 + 10 + 4 + 10 + 8 + 1 + 2 + 2 + 3 + 1 + 4 = 63
AdeyC 3 + 10 + 12 + 8 + 1 + 2 + 8 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 3 + 5 = 61
Litotes 4 + 1 + 7 + 1 + 1 + 8 + 5 + 6 + 4 + 1 + 6 + 10 + 7 = 61
N.M. 3 + 2 + 5 + 7 + 5 + 5 + 12 + 6 + 2 + 12 = 59
Random Run 8 + 10 + 4 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 12 = 54
TIEFSEE 7 + 5 + 8 + 12 + 8 + 3 + 7 + 3 = 53
DropShotAce 10 + 10 + 8 + 10 + 1 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 8 + 1 = 53
TennisFan102 12 + 5 + 2 + 4 + 2 + 3 + 5 + 4 + 7 + 4 + 2 + 1 = 51
Laurent Moy 7 + 7 + 6 + 3 + 3 + 6 + 10 + 5 = 47
SilverPersian 2 + 6 + 10 + 6 + 2 + 6 + 1 = 33
Lord Choc Ice 3 + 4 + 1 + 6 + 6 + 12 = 32
resident_bizarre 7 + 6 + 2 + 12 + 1 = 28
Queen Vika 12 + 5 + 5 + 3 + 2 = 27
skinnylegend 5 + 1 + 8 + 10 = 24
Sam L 4 + 2 + 8 + 4 + 8 = 24
wayitis 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 1 = 23
Leif 5 + 2 + 3 + 6 + 7 = 23
Potapovian 5 + 1 + 12 = 18
Wozzy! 6 + 10 = 16
MrPeanutButter 3 + 6 + 6 = 15
zvonarevarulz 5 + 3 + 6 = 14
Latvian 1 + 12 = 13
Northstar 4 + 6 + 3 = 13
Igorche 12
Utautai 2 + 10 = 12
drg 8 + 3 = 11
Hugues Daniel 10
Haleptard 10
Javi 5 + 5 = 10
chainedtomaria 2 + 8 = 10
Pierre. 8 + 2 = 10
Wanderer 4 + 4 = 8
Rob & Stephen 5
eck 1 + 4 = 5
bud887 3
DuaZeepa 1 + 1 = 2
Poldo 1

Surprising result. I did not vote or I did not play in these games: 295, 297, 304, 306, 320, 321, 322, 328. Excluding these 8 editions, I have counted only my receivers in the final.

Congrats, Adam. Not the person I would associate the most in music field, with low amount of overlapping artists, but you qualifying for every final possible helped you collecting points (yeah, those vultures also got my points). XD
Second: aerosmash. I am the lover of those random YTB suggestions and you did it well. :p
Third: histery :spit: Probably the person who I have only a few overlapping artists, but he keeps sending stuff like Jessica Pratt which will receive big points from me.
Fourth: Mauriac. When he does not send mainstream trash, he can collect points from me quite easily.
Fifth: Silent Bird. Congrats, my fellow mathematician! <3 I adore you. The year was rough for both you and me, but we can agree that your "Love" discoveries are one of the best and you will get points from me most likely. It also depends if you qualify to the final.

Well done and I will do "The best donors" :p

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #240 (Edited)
Game 301 - Secret Santa Vol. 2

Thievery Corporation - "Until The Morning"

SF: 5th ; F: 12th​

Next theme was Secret Santa Vol. 2. I got histery of all people and wrote "kind Santa". The reality was I was not that satisfied because his taste in music just does not suit that much to me. Instead, I just took a look on his send list (well, he is known of giving 0 to the artist he previously nominated). I got 10 in SF from him, later histery became "Bad Satan" in the final. In this edition, Boreas got me and sent a beautiful song "Detektivska prica" by Videosex. Instant love, instant 12. I wrote in that thread that I sent Videosex on MTF previously. Well done to my sender. :)

I wanted to know what will histery like more (but I had only his send list, so I used that source), because all of his indie entries were ghastly for my taste.

221 - 240 of 245 Posts