201 - 220 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Game 263 - Slow Country

Lee Ann Womack - "I May Hate Myself In The Morning"

SF: 10th ; F: 20th​

What can I say about this game? Not enjoyable at all. The theme was picked by Slazorin. This turned to be so ugly and again there was that player who strategically gives 0 points to every contestant that chooses the same artist as him. My song underperformed. Lee Ann Womack is the legend of Country and I could not understand why people gave more points to "faster" song of Lee Ann? :confused:

I think @Fortitude finally won and his song was so beautiful. Well done, Tristan and 500 Miles! :)

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Game 264 - Weather

Rare Silk - "Storm"

SF: 4th ; F: 9th​

Next game was: "Weather". We had "Seasons", "Rain", "Summer"... I thought of submitting YTB jewel called "Storm" for 80's game. I am satisfied with the result. The song itself is very beautiful, there are fantastic sentences with saxophone and voice harmony. Expected a bit higher place. All in all, ok-ish game after abysmal 262.

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Game 265 - Cartoons

Splendora - "You're Standing On My Neck"

SF: 8th ; F: 14th

My sixth theme and I wanted to kill the monotony and went with "Cartoons". Everyone had the great moments in the past, so it was not bad to get back to childhood and times when we were so happy and enjoyed our favourite "cartoons". Daria - too cool for her generation, a nerd everyone hated. She resembles me a little bit. I adore this cartoon. Splendora is the band behind this song. It was alt-rock female band and their peak is "You're Standing On My Neck". They had one album named "In The Grass".​

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Game 266 - BSG Namesakes

Sam Airey - "Stars"

SF: 6th ; F: 7th

Next game was BSG Namesakes. We had to nominate the artist that shares the name with one of the participants. Litotes trolled so hard in the thread and he posted the song of Cheda Markovic. :lol:
I dedicated the song to Sam L. This YTB jewel was hidden for so long. I could not believe how this kind of beauty did not have more views. I literally cried after the first listen. So deep, I felt that sadness and I can say that I am a sucker for voices like Airey's. 7th place is alright. The game was full of controversy, because DSA was banned during that time and he would have won. In spite of this game (I am not the one who jumped in), the banned person's voters should not have been accepted. It was the rule in earlier games and I remember few times when I voted, Adey clearly did not accept those votes. I called double standards (you know, it was a nasty comment by me, but I had the recipe). The final decision was great, IMO. Adam snatched the win out of nowhere. LOL

I am so happy that Samuel gave 12 to my song. 10 got Mauriac's entry, who had the same idea, but he nominated the Sam Fender's song.

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Game 267 - Harmonica Showdown​

Cream - "Rollin' and Tumblin'"

SF: 9th ; F: 17th

The instrument I learned first. In this edition, I nominated the song that has the mouth harmonica the most. Song has nice rhythm. Cannot say that I liked this edition at all, but the winner was really nice. :) (Ennio Morricone's classic!)

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Semifinal flops: 66
Final success rate: 145/211 = 68.72%
Games played: 211

Up to Game 308!

F Placements:

1st - 8
2nd - 5
3rd - 7
4th - 9
5th - 2
6th - 9
7th - 6
8th - 8
9th - 6
10th - 11
11th - 10
12th - 5
13th - 4
14th - 7
15th - 8
16th - 11
17th - 7
18th - 5
19th - 5
20th - 9

LMAO, I need to get that 5th place twice in order to get 4 sets of Rankings SLAM.
I was worried when I did not finish 9th, but in latest games I got 3 ninth places. LOL
Unpredictable stuff.

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Game 268 - Sing in Slavic

Pauk - "Mumije lazu" (1982)

SF: 5th ; F: 15th​

Next game was "Sing in Slavic", which was too easy for me. Also, I had many picks for this game and it was hard to choose just one. I went with new wave song by Bosnian post-punk band Pauk (Spider). I wanted to be more original than other contestants and I think I succeeded. The only thing that was questionable is how my song dropped that much after ok-ish SF results. The winner was Chrono with "Zala Kralj and Gasper Santl - Sebi".

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
I decided to skip another Summer Game, at this point this kind of games was ridiculing me and constantly bringing some atrocities. A came back 1 game later.

Game 270 - Gone But Not Forgotten

Pietro Piccioni - "It's Possible"

SF: 1st ; F: 10th​

This game was Gone But Not Forgotten. The artist/band that had the influence in music industry, unfortunately he passed away. My choice was another Italian mastermind in Pietro Piccioni. Delicate music, beautiful and so rich. The song was first in SF, just to drop to No. 10. :lol:
Mauriac won the edition with "The Yardbirds - For Your Love", which was really nice.

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #209 (Edited)
Game 271 - Open

Beograd - "Opasne Igre"

SF: 5th ; F: 14th​

I was in my Synth-Pop element. Decided to send ex-yu artists, because I think that people will slowly start to appreciate them if we have them on regular basis, not repeated artists like Abba, Madonna, Bjork, Radiohead etc...
Pretty happy with making the final and its placement. The shock was SF result. Did not expect at all for "Opasne Igre" finishing 5th in its semi.

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Game 272 - Scandalous

Neil Young - "Harvest Moon"

SF: 8th; F: 19th​

Chrono won Sing in Slavic and he chose "Scandalous". In theme description he mentioned that one singer from Hong Kong cheated on his wife. I decided to go with Neil Young, as he was heroin addict (it was the scandal for that time).

The placement in the final was so low, but I cannot please everyone.
"Harvest Moon" was released in 1992 and it appeared in album "1972".

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Game 273 - UK's best

Bronski Beat - "Why?"

SF: 2nd (non-voting); F: 3rd

Next theme was UK's Best. There were lots of artists to choose for this particular theme. I went with Bronski Beat, because who does not know them? They were the first to come out as gay. They had a great discography.
In the game of the biggest vultures, "Why?" finished 3rd and I was so happy with that podium. The winner was one of those Kim Wilde's songs... don't know what does this woman do, but it guarantees a top finish.

"Why?" was released in 1984, the same year "Smalltown Boy" was released. :)

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #212 (Edited)
Game 274 - Post Punk

Joy Division - "Disorder"

SF: DIRECT FINAL ; F: 6th​

Mauriac won Game 270 and he chose "Post Punk". It was interesting that there was no appeal for this game, which promised too much. I went with classic band Joy Division and nominated Disorder from "Unknown Pleasures".

I liked this edition. Only thing I wanted was more players.

Reactions: The Crow

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Game 275 - Film Noir

Miles Davis- "Generique"

SF: 1st (non-voting) ; F: 2nd (non-voting)

Film Noir -
Film noir (/nwɑːr/; French: [film nwaʁ]) is a cinematic term used primarily to describe stylish Hollywood crime dramas, particularly those that emphasize cynical attitudes and sexual motivations. The 1940s and 1950s are generally regarded as the "classic period" of American film noir. Film noir of this era is associated with a low-key, black-and-white visual style that has roots in German Expressionist cinematography. Many of the prototypical stories and much of the attitude of classic noir derive from the hardboiled school of crime fiction that emerged in the United States during the Great Depression.
The term film noir, French for "black film" (literal) or "dark film" (closer meaning),[1] was first applied to Hollywood films by French critic Nino Frank in 1946, but was unrecognized by most American film industry professionals of that era.[2] Cinema historians and critics defined the category retrospectively. Before the notion was widely adopted in the 1970s, many of the classic film noir[a] were referred to as "melodramas". Whether film noir qualifies as a distinct genre is a matter of ongoing debate among scholars.

That was the description and I knew I had to nominate magnificent Miles Davis and his piece "Generique". Unfortunately, I did not vote in this game, and I would have been a winner had I voted. The Crow won with Lhasa De Sela's song "El Desierto".

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #214 (Edited)
I took a break, because it was the period when my father passed away and I truly respected first 30 days without the music. I thought to be back in October, but I liked Perun's theme. :lol:

Game 280 - Sollum Metallum

Bullet For My Valentine - "Venom"

SF: DIRECT FINAL ; F: 6th​

Next game was Sollum Metallum. Finally the game where people had to send their metal tracks. I went with BFMV, because it was the favourite band of my friend in primary school. She was all over them and she had her notebook written with songs by this band. Venom is the song that caught my attention. For this game I did not want to go with death metal, because I know people won't appreciate it. 6th place in the final is fine. :)

Sam L won the edition! :)

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #215 (Edited)
Game 281 - Summer Road Trip

The Innocent Mission - "Song About Traveling"

SF: 6th ; F: 10th​

Jen won in 277th edition and she chose "Summer Road Trip". -
The theme is summer road trip. Essentially, any song that you'd love to drive to on a trip with the windows down in the summer. Well, I am travelling a lot and there are many vultures that I had listened to. If you ask me for a perfect trip, it would be great if I go to the canyon one day, then I won't hesitate to play this song. "Song about traveling" is a nice song, with lots of touch and nostalgic vocals.
Top 10 finish for this song is alright. I am just happy that a few people appreciated it. :)

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Game 282 - 90's Vol. 3

Low - "Words"

SF: 2nd; F: 1st

Next game was 90's. In the thread I wrote that I would submit something unusual. I went with minimalistic and dark song as "Words". It's very memorable, because the lead singer gave that "depression" vibe. There is something captivating in voices of Alan and Mimi. This song can awake tears. First time I listened to "Words", I got goosebumps and really felt the words...

Back to BSG, my song finished 1st. I was so happy, but sad at the same time, because I was in a dark mood knowing what happened 2 months ago. This was my 7th BSG win.

Reactions: The Crow

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Game 293 - Open

Zorica Kondza - "Ima jedan svijet" (Live Version)

SF: 13th ; F: DNQ​

Next game was Open.... I went with Croatian band Stijene and their lead singer Zorica Kondza. That live version is everything, Zorica slaying high notes with ease. Unfortunately, "Ima jedan svijet" did not make the final. :sad:

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #218 (Edited)
Game 284 - Balletomane

Pyotr Illych Tchaikovsky - "Pas de Deux"

SF: DIRECT FINAL; F: 2nd

Sam won the Metal game and picked “Balletomane”. We had to choose a song that would be our “ballet” piece and our dance of our life. I chose Tchaikovsky’s piece because my friend Valentina nailed on it and I find every Tchaikovsky’s music piece beautiful. Finishing second right behind skinnylegend was a nice result. I cannot be mad at skinny, because I gave him a 10 and that “Adagio” was one of the best things I had listened back then. J

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Game 285 - Oceania

Movement - "Like Lust"

SF: 10th; F: 18th​

Next game was Oceania. I searched to find a song for this edition. I wanted to send the genre that Aussies are associated with in last decade. Finally, "Like Lust" appeared. The game itself was not on a high note, but I liked the winner of this edition. Boreas sent nice song "Soviet Snow". This song was not a big hit, but it was on MTV. New Zealand rocks!

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #220 (Edited)
Game 286 - Funeral & Mourning

George Harrison - "All Those Years Ago"

SF: 12th (66 points) ; F: DNQ​

Next game was "Funeral & Mourning", I chose this game as the winner of 282. My father passed away, so I was in this mood. I asked participants that they can nominate a song as long as it does not have "celebration" parts, nor screams. I went with Father's favourite musician George Harrison. People complained as it was "cheery" or "happy" song, which I don't agree with. George dedicated the song to John Lennon, right after his death. That's how I interpreted the song for my father and cannot see how it can be happy, when the song was written for the person that passed away. Great lyrics, but I was not happy with SF placement. Unfortunately, to make things worse, there was a cringeworthy winner, but who am I to judge it?

Notable points: 12 from comfortably numb and SilverPersian.
I gave 12 points to: TheCrow (SF1), comfortably numb (SF2), comfortably numb (F)

201 - 220 of 245 Posts