Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
34,902 Posts
I mean honestly it's one of the best semifinals I can remember seeing. I've been following since 2005 and HALEP-KERBER at the Australian Open was better, as was Serena WILLIAMS-DEMENTIEVA at Wimbledon. People raved about Venus WILLIAMS-HENIN at the US Open but it was only two sets. Both semis at last year's US Open matches were solid. But it's not as if the WTA has given us tons of options these past few decades.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Speaking just of Steffi and the French: My abiding memory of that time is how many close matches she played in, win or lose. Almost all in the later stage of course, as she was just so much better than most of the field. But there was serious competition in the later stages. Of her 6 winning finals, 5 were 3-setters, as were 2 of her 3 losing finals (the other was a close 2-setter). She both lost and won a final 10-8 in the third. That 34-minute demolition of Zvereva seems to colour some people's perception.

Just to be clear, I've for the most part really enjoyed this year's event, mainly because of these close-fought matches, which remind me of watching the French Open all those years ago.
Steffi played 4 matches where she ahead in the second set and then lost the second set tiebreak and then still won in three sets. Zwereva 92, martinez 95, asv french 96 and against Davenport in 99. It almost happened against Kournikova in 99 too.
Steffi and tiebreaks at the french was not the best combination. after 1990 at least.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
this SF was phenomenal. A shame it wasn't the actual final. They both deserved to win.

As i said before, the bottom half is trash, but only because PBG screwed up her destiny. She was head & shoulders above the rest of the field in that half, including Pavs.
Badosa couldn’t beat Zidansek and Pav beat Zidansek in 2. I don’t know if Badosa would have beaten Sabalenka and Azarenka back to back.

·
La nuit je mens
89,859 Posts
Yeah. Sunny and all. No need to close the roof. Great conditions.

As for the rest...

Reactions: preap

·
Art & Futures
21,957 Posts
this really was a great tournament, one of the best GS i have had in a while honestly....

Starting with the Osaka drama to really pull you in, and it continuing across the week....

meanwhile top seeds slowly but surely dropping...

some small resurgences and glimmers of hope from veterans and hopefuls only to be let down but then other vets and newbies emerging to their highest peaks and many many marathon close matches

it's been full of a reasonable amount of drama and disappointment for hardcore fans of the sport :)

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
But first we get the European football now !
I don't wanna talk about THAT. It's gonna be Eurovision reloaded lol

But praise the lord, we will get a new bondscoach after this. Can only get better.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I don't wanna talk about THAT. It's gonna be Eurovision reloaded lol

But praise the lord, we will get a new bondscoach after this. Can only get better.
What is your problem with Eurovision, it has ended brilliantly.

·
Registered
441 Posts
It's a typical RG at best, mostly unpredictable (on women side), new faces in the 2nd week, some dramas on line calls and audiences behaviour, overshadowed by the men side, and maybe a surprising winner.

The only great thing this year is we have a record of all 4 debut semifinalists in a GS.

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
But Deutsland has a big change to win or not ?
I hardly see us surviving the group stage.with France and Portugal in our group. But that happens if the coach nominates those he likes and not those who play best but have an own opinion.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
The match between Krejcikova and Sakkari, with match points on both sides, was one of the best semifinals of the past twenty years.
Trolling much
edit: yes, I read the rest of the post and I get the gist.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Just imagine Tennisforum posters in the 90's

"What a boring era"
Back in the day FITD would have been so easy, just put Steffi and the top eight seeds through to the quarters and whoa you were pretty much guaranteed half would make it.

Women's tennis was so predictable the only top seed that I used to get nervous about maybe not reaching the second week was Jennifer.

We would be seeing threads like "will Steffi be on court for more than an hour in any first week match?"

·
Registered
34,902 Posts
lol @amyd_1989 soon will be asking the mods extra space for that many signature girls. 20 already :ROFLMAO:
Amyd's signature girls are iconic, but missing BADOSA is a mistake. Even if one of them might win the title… I'm curious what determines them too because I don't see any obvious similarities lmao.

·
Registered
26,170 Posts
It was good that two of quarters and one of the semis went the distance after a messy first week. I hope we have an epic final too.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
I hardly see us surviving the group stage.with France and Portugal in our group. But that happens if the coach nominates those he likes and not those who play best but have an own opinion.
haha I think many Dutchies hopes so :LOL:

I dont have any EK fever yet , but hopefully it will come when it started

21 - 40 of 68 Posts