Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The match between Krejcikova and Sakkari, with match points on both sides, was one of the best semifinals of the past twenty years.

And now we get a tantalizing final between Pavs, the perpetual frumpy bridesmaid in her first (and likely last) grand slam final appearance, and the reincarnation of Jana Novotna.

People on this form love to bitch about and degrade women’s tennis every time the top seeds go out early. It will be the same noise in two weeks at Wimbledon.

There are just no dominant players any more. Deal with it.

Did we really prefer women’s tennis when Steffi Graf and Serena Williams used to destroy the fields, but we still felt good because Venus and Arantxa were able to reach the finals?

I say give me unexpected drama with fresh faces and keep it coming!

·
Registered
116,031 Posts
I would rank it with 2004 as one of the greatest French Opens ever

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Yes it was, till yesterday

Thankfully Wimbledon is in 2 weeks , its better for everyone to forget RG as soon as possible.

But first we get the European football now !

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I agree...people are way too obsessed with the same players winning all the time that they can't see when other players play great tennis...if you like predictability, go watch the men's tour and watch Nadal inevitably win the French Open for the 143502343284098249329th time...

While the best semi finals in the past 20 years is an exaggeration, the match was for sure brilliant in many ways...

·
Registered
15 Posts
The match between Krejcikova and Sakkari, with match points on both sides, was one of the best semifinals of the past twenty years.
Dude. I'd LOVE to agree, I am Czech and therefore super happy for Bara...
...but WHAT???
That was mostly a very lousy match in terms of quality and not really worthy of a GF semifinal!!!
Neither woman played near her best, tons of unforced errors...
...parts of the match or individual points were solid (Bara's defensive slice was one of the few very solid strokes throughout the match) , but I thought more about the Thiem vs Zverev final which was super long but the quality was mostly absolutely terrible.

Again, soo happy for Bara.
But also after this match I understand the frustration of some ppl because this was NOWHERE near the quality of tons and tons of matches from past years (even in earlier stages of the tournament)

(to be fair, of course, in the past years we also had many lousy matches including semis or even finals so it's not like this year is like 1000% unusual imo)

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dude. I'd LOVE to agree, I am Czech and therefore super happy for Bara...
...but WHAT???
That was mostly a very lousy match in terms of quality and not really worthy of a GF semifinal!!!
Neither woman played near her best, tons of unforced errors...
...parts of the match or individual points were solid (Bara's defensive slice was one of the few very solid strokes throughout the match) , but I thought more about the Thiem vs Zverev final which was super long but the quality was mostly absolutely terrible.
I guess I enjoy low quality matches. I was thoroughly entertained.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
I agree with you that this FO has been one of the most enjoyable. There were some very interesting matches.
Rybakina vs Pavlyuchenkova, Vondrousova vs Badosa, Zidansek vs Badosa, Badosa vs Bogdan, Sakkari vs Mertens and many others.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
For a casual fan, this might have not been a great tournament with lot of top players either injured or losing early, but I have personally enjoyed this tournament.I think this 2nd SF wasn't good quality tennis for the most part (got better in the end) but it had some really good drama...there actually have been lot of dramatic and memorable matches in this RG...Bianca vs Zidansek, Badosa vs Bogdan, Zidansek vs Badosa, Pavs vs Rybakina were also had pretty memorable matches

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
this SF was phenomenal. A shame it wasn't the actual final. They both deserved to win.

As i said before, the bottom half is trash, but only because PBG screwed up her destiny. She was head & shoulders above the rest of the field in that half, including Pavs.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Time to make her a signature girl 😉
I thought it would have happened by now to be honest. Surely within the next 4 months.

·
Registered
10,206 Posts

Did we really prefer women’s tennis when Steffi Graf and Serena Williams used to destroy the fields, but we still felt good because Venus and Arantxa were able to reach the finals?

Speaking just of Steffi and the French: My abiding memory of that time is how many close matches she played in, win or lose. Almost all in the later stage of course, as she was just so much better than most of the field. But there was serious competition in the later stages. Of her 6 winning finals, 5 were 3-setters, as were 2 of her 3 losing finals (the other was a close 2-setter). She both lost and won a final 10-8 in the third. That 34-minute demolition of Zvereva seems to colour some people's perception.

Just to be clear, I've for the most part really enjoyed this year's event, mainly because of these close-fought matches, which remind me of watching the French Open all those years ago.

·
33,025 Posts
Idk, do casual fans even care so much about who is playing? If its tense and dramatic and theres doubt about who's gonna win, wouldn't you stick to it and keep watching?

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Well, it was a great FO for Greek tennis. I'd leave it to that.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts