Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Banned
26,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First tournament will be the 500k WTA in Marbella of the first week in April. She reached the semis there in 2009 and beat Kirilenko last year in the first round!

So, a good place for a come back! :cheer:

Unfortunately, she likely has to play qualies there... :eek:

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
34,443 Posts
First tournament will be the 220k WTA in Marbella of the first week in April. She reached the semis there in 2009 and beat Kirilenko last year in the first round!

So, a good place for a come back! :cheer:

Unfortunately, she likely has to play qualies there... :eek:
Playing qualies in her 1st clay event of the year will be an advantage. It means providing she get through the qualies she will enter the main draw with a couple of matches under her belt, full of confidence and adjusted to the new surface. And if she doesn't get through the qualies....well she wouldn't have gone far in the main draw in such circumstances anyway.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Shvedbarilescu said exactly what I wanted to say... it´s a good challenge to play qualies if she passes into MD she can take an advantage of playing qualies I think it can only help her... hope we´ll see some improvement....

·
Registered
602 Posts
I don´t know if its good because if she loses in Q I will die! and marbella isn´t 220k its 500k I think so more points tougher players

·
Banned
26,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, yes you are right, but the WTA points are the same compared to 220k! :)

·
Registered
50,589 Posts
I don't know if you guys realize this, but this clay court season will be the most important 2 months of Sorana's career :scared:
This can make or break her. If she doesn't find her form here, I don't think she will ever live up to her potential :eek:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
hopefully hellas is not right but it can happen like he/she says (sorry don´t know you gender)... Sori has a lot of potentila she´s still young and she can come back to her best but meanwhile it is taking a lot of time to get her where she was in 2009... hopefully this clay season will help her... Marbella will show us first signs...

·
Registered
50,589 Posts
Why do you think so? :unsure:
She is wasting time with her slump. Look at her peers. Look at Wozniacki, Azarenka, Pavlyuchenkova, A.Radwanska, etc. Then look at Sori. Do you see the difference? Sori should be right up the with those girls in the top 20. But instead she isn't. She had chances over the past two years to do better and she couldn't. It isn't going to get any easier for her. If she doesn't have a good clay season, I doubt she'll do well during the rest of the year. This part of the season is where she should win her matches. If she can't win on clay, she won't win on other surfaces. She needs to improve her ranking and play more matches. This is the only way for her to gain some consistency.

·
Banned
26,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agree, but there is still something which annoys me a lot. It's not in doubt that Sori is in a big slump, the biggest of her career so far, but it seems to me that many people easily forget that she has always been an up and down player. Consistency?, she never knew what that means! :eek:

In her so often called breakthrough season 2009, she has lost everything and all matches on Hard (getting destroyed by Koryttseva in Miami with 1-6, 2-6 :hysteric:) until the clay season started. Then her sensational run at the French Open followed. After that some signs of consistency and she seemed to have got her game together. Another great semi at LA on hard, where she was able to beat Woz, finally kind of established her among the new upcoming and promising youngsters.

But though having such great runs, she just finished the year at #39 showing that even at that time she slumped at some parts of the season. Last year she has also been inconsistent, too inconsistent and was of course not able to defend her points because she didn't have even one run at a bigger event... :eek:

Looking at the start of this season, she is playing obviously better than in the early session of her best year 2009 so far or at least more successful beating Top 100 players like Lucic, Barrois, Dushevina and Scheepers, the first three all in straights! :lol:

I know it might sound a bit strange or provoking, but I am more than sure that she is likely to have another run this year, maybe like in 2009 when we wouldn't expect it at all! Her game is super effective when things are working out and when she feels fit enough!

We will see! Stay optimistic! ;)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Her schedule is Marbella, probably Fed cup, then Barcelona, Madrid and probably Rome. Anybody knows how is it with fields in Barcelona and Estoril, she had ever good results in Estoril but she chose barcelona. Which I don´t know if it´s good because there is a better players list than fo estoril. Either she may not play Rome she didn´t last year. LAst year she played both Barcelona and Estroil, but they changed the dates. Cat believe she was ranked around no. 40! =(

·
Banned
26,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She has a semifinal to defend in Estoril and choses Barcelona with a traditional stronger field? :confused:

Bacelona has 11 Top 50 players while Estoril has just 5. Well, she would have to play qualies in both tournaments, but wouldn't be seeded in Barcelona at the moment... :shrug:

·
Registered
602 Posts
she said she likes spain but I think she should chose estoril too

she replied me on twitter today like three times also sania so happy kinda cool! She said she hopes to play strasbourg also. Now she is in amsterdam. simply I love her! somebody on twitter here writing in english hmm??

·
Banned
26,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great news! :cool:
If she is participating on that WTA project, she really should keep in touch with her most loyal fans! :)

Strasbourg is the week before French Open, where she had to play qualies last year because she signed in too late... :eek:
Due to that fact and because the Premier of Brussels is played the same week, this tournament usually doesn't have a strong field!

Let's see what she can do there! :cheer:

·
Banned
26,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sori via facebook

I went this morning to a sports center for kids with mental health problems like autism and down syndrom to see and help a little bit!!!It was amazing to see how sport brought so much happiness to their faces!!!I played soccer with them and hopefully next time i can play some tennis!They teach me such an important lesson today and they made me see life through a diffrent perspective!!!
So nice to set an example! :worship:

1 - 20 of 235 Posts