Tennis Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
US Open R1

Sorana Cirstea (ROU) d Alison Riske (USA) 63 36 75

Allie served for the match at 54, got broken at 0 and Sori never took her foot off the accelerator after that. She's been on the losing end of so many close matches this season, this is well deserved. Bring on R2 and Screechepova :cheer:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Well deserved victory! :cheer: She stayed tough in the 3rd even after going down an early break and then blowing a love-40 chance at 3*-2. She then got another chance at 5-4 and took it.

The spark actually happened when Sori was serving at 3-5. Riske challenged an out call and won, and the umpire then inexplicably gave Riske the point even though Sori was clearly in position to hit it back and the call was not late. Sori argued vehemently and then reeled off the next 8 points with beautiful, controlled rage.

·
Registered
804 Posts
What's going on with Sori? She lost 6-2 6-0 to Kiki Bertens after being granted a lucky loser spot in the Beijing main draw. I know Bertens has been playing really well lately, but the scoreline indicates a lack of effort on Sori's part.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
What's going on with Sori? She lost 6-2 6-0 to Kiki Bertens after being granted a lucky loser spot in the Beijing main draw. I know Bertens has been playing really well lately, but the scoreline indicates a lack of effort on Sori's part.
Saw some of the match... wouldn't call it lack of effort. I mean she even had Carl Maes there with her doing OCC's so I really think she's trying to turn things around, but yeah, a really poor match from Sorana filled with easy errors and forehands that missed the court by miles :hug:

·
Registered
804 Posts
^It's good to hear that she's still trying, at least. She should have another good 4-5 years if she's motivated and stays healthy.

I guess it's that time of year, as there have been a lot of strange scores this week. For example, Bertens over Flipkens 6-1 6-1 and Wang over Ostapenko 6-0 6-0.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Well, at the Dubai $100K, Sori defeated #297 Yuliya Hatouka 6-3 6-3 in R1 and then lost to Peng 1-6 1-6 in R2. Peng does seem to be on fire right now and has reached the final.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts